ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lost car keys

butchnitt

Oct 24, 2003
To my 2017 Honda CRV at the game Saturday. Anyone know where I can get replacement at a reasonable price.
Thanks in advance. Advice appreciated.

Trouble likely is that the car has to be coded at the dealer to prevent theft.

With Audi/VW, the dealer can’t even code keys on their own now - the car has to be connected to Ingolstadt and Audi does it remotely.

To my 2017 Honda CRV at the game Saturday. Anyone know where I can get replacement at a reasonable price.
I doubt you're going to find a reasonable price being that's a push button start. Probably dealer only.

I would contact the dealership where you bought the vehicle. One of the incentives of our recent car purchase was free lost key replacement for 3 years. I dont think they told us about this but my wife found it in our paperwork listing all of the incentives. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Reactions: BBrown and psu00
You can get replacement remotes from a locksmith and they can program it which will definitely be cheaper than a dealer. The locksmith I used, it cost the same for a replacement OEM remote than any online vendor and it was about 50 bucks to program it then. This is for a pushbutton start car, so yes locksmiths CAN do it.

You will need to bring your other remote, assuming you have one, and your car in to them when they do the work. Expect to pay ~$200 all-in but it varies by car.

@fairgambit Enterprises can likely offer you a replacement at an unreasonable price.

LdN

Indeed I can. (Thanks for the plug LDN. )
I think this one might work. Yours for $1,575.93, plus shipping, handling, tax, insurance, and a bag of Oreos (Double Stuf). If you are interested, have your people call my people.

old-car-key-broken-isolated-white-background-79076416.jpg

You can get uncut/unprogrammed keys on ebay, some dealers will cut/code them some wont. Also need to make sure the key is the right part #.

Reactions: The Stan
As listed above, search eBay. If someone is selling the fob, they will probably attach directions on how to program it. I searched for an older key with a chip. For my instance, it had a you tube video listed, that showed how to program it yourself.

Indeed I can. (Thanks for the plug LDN. )
I think this one might work. Yours for $1,575.93, plus shipping, handling, tax, insurance, and a bag of Oreos (Double Stuf). If you are interested, have your people call my people.

old-car-key-broken-isolated-white-background-79076416.jpg

Is it name brand oreos or the store brand?

Reactions: fairgambit
You can go to the Honda dealership. I am sure they will give you another key. Or you can speak with a locksmith. He can replace your locks or get you a new key. If you are interested in this idea, I can recommend you use the services of the guys from the Cerrajero company. Anyway, the problem is solvable, so you should be worried about nothing. Moreover, next time be more careful with your keys. Because you can easily get robbed if a thief finds them.Hope you will find my message helpful.

Last edited:
I just paid $500...$350 for a new fob and $150 to program it and the two older units. The older ones were getting pretty ratty, the cover fell off of one and the other keeps saying it is low on battery even though I changed the battery twice. The new one looks great; smaller and silver as the others were all black rubberized material. But $500? Jeesh.

Reactions: therod
How do ancient threads like this revived? Anyway - I really preferred being able to get a replacement key for $1.50 at the hardware store. I went the on-line route and bought a generic "smart" key once, followed their detailed programming instructions, and ended up triggering my car's security system to lock down everything. This led to a tow to the dealer and maybe $300 for a real deal replacement. Sometimes the cheapest man pays the most.

…I just bought my granddaughter’s 2012 Ford Escape when she bought herself a 2022 Tesla but she only had one key … can I get a second ignition key from a dealer at a reasonable price?… it is not a push button ignition …

…I just bought my granddaughter’s 2012 Ford Escape when she bought herself a 2022 Tesla but she only had one key … can I get a second ignition key from a dealer at a reasonable price?… it is not a push button ignition …
Go to uhs hardware.com. I bought 2 pods for $100. 1 was $69.50 for a 2017 T&C, Chrysler. A week later i took the car in for an oil change at D&C dealer and a tech programed both pods $30. each while the car was being serviced. I thought that was a reasonable price.

…thanks, the local Ford dealer quoted $50 for a key, $25 to cut it and $85 to program it… for a total of $160…
… I decided to get 2 plain key duplicates at Lowes…$6 total… I’ll leave the programmed key in the car in a safe place as an extra…🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: franklinman
ADVERTISEMENT