ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looking for input from Landscape Architect or Landscape Contractor

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I'm planting some trees (bare root seedlings) in my yard. 2 tulip trees to provide shade on the southern side of the house, a mixture of evergreens to provide a wind block and screen from the neighbor, as well as a free red maple and two forsythia bushes that arborday.org threw in for free. I have questions about arranging the plantings of the evergreen trees.

I have 3 eastern red cedar, 3 Canadian hemlock, 3 Norway spruce, and 4 douglas fir. I do not like the look of evergreen trees or shrubs arranged in a straight line, and was going to plant the trees in appropriately spaced intermittent clusters of 3 or 4 trees. I don't think it matters relative to the health of the trees, but maybe there is a rule of thumb based upon planning/organizing the landscape visually. My question is whether I should plant three of one kind together in four clusters, or plant the four clusters with different trees in each cluster?

Thanks in advance.

Not a Landscaper and did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but some minor advice.....however you group them, within each group spread them farther away from each other than you’d think is needed, then go add a few more steps between each one. They grow up and out and will grow into each other like you’d never believe.

Not trying to be a smart ass.....but been there, they’ve done that to me!

Not a Landscaper and did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but some minor advice.....however you group them, within each group spread them farther away from each other than you’d think is needed, then go add a few more steps between each one. They grow up and out and will grow into each other like you’d never believe.

Not trying to be a smart ass.....but been there, they’ve done that to me!
Thanks, but I’m factoring in their full grown spread. I do not want one solid wall of trees...

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Don't have your answer, but aren't you concerned about woolly adelgid?
I had to google what "woolly adelgid" was... I guess it is a concern, but I didn't hand pick the canadian hemlock. I came in a pre-selected bundle from arborday.org for wind screens (3 cedar, 3 hemlock, and 3 spruce). Hopefully the hemlock make it, but if not I will replace with another type.

"Do your on pest control" .com is your friend.

Spruce and fir also serve as host and breeder for spruce gaul if I remember right

"Do your on pest control" .com is your friend.

Spruce and fir also serve as host and breeder for spruce gaul if I remember right
I find “domyown.com” (formerly domyownpestcontrol.com) to be better than do YOUR own for my chemical selection.
I'm planting some trees (bare root seedlings) in my yard. 2 tulip trees to provide shade on the southern side of the house, a mixture of evergreens to provide a wind block and screen from the neighbor, as well as a free red maple and two forsythia bushes that arborday.org threw in for free. I have questions about arranging the plantings of the evergreen trees.

I have 3 eastern red cedar, 3 Canadian hemlock, 3 Norway spruce, and 4 douglas fir. I do not like the look of evergreen trees or shrubs arranged in a straight line, and was going to plant the trees in appropriately spaced intermittent clusters of 3 or 4 trees. I don't think it matters relative to the health of the trees, but maybe there is a rule of thumb based upon planning/organizing the landscape visually. My question is whether I should plant three of one kind together in four clusters, or plant the four clusters with different trees in each cluster?

Thanks in advance.
I’m a contractor, but I just got home and don’t feel like talking shop. Perhaps tomorrow when I’m laying on the couch I’ll give you my input.

A lot of what you want to do depends on how much space you have to work with. The variety of trees you’ve given, for example, wouldn’t work on my property. Just too goofy of a layout, powerlines, pool, etc...

Shoot me an email, Dan.

NorthernScapesPA@gmail.com

I find “domyown.com” (formerly domyownpestcontrol.com) to be better than do YOUR own for my chemical selection.

I’m a contractor, but I just got home and don’t feel like talking shop. Perhaps tomorrow when I’m laying on the couch I’ll give you my input.

A lot of what you want to do depends on how much space you have to work with. The variety of trees you’ve given, for example, wouldn’t work on my property. Just too goofy of a layout, powerlines, pool, etc...

Shoot me an email, Dan.

NorthernScapesPA@gmail.com
Thanks. I sent you an email last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT