ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LIVE PGA Championship thread

Agree, but BK has won two majors this year. That puts him in very exclusive company. What did they say, only five players have ever won the PGA and US Open in the same year? Awesome.

Great to see Tiger back. He seemed genuinely moved. You can see his confidence coming back as he seemed to shrink in the back nine in previous events. He didn't shrink this time, other than one really, really bad tee shot (and a very weak chip). But he made some "Houdini" shots too.

You have to like the "kids" on tour right now. All seem very professional and level headed without appearing to be robots. Golf got a big shot in the arm yesterday.
I don’t know - Koepke is pretty much a robot

Check out Koepka's post round interview on the golf channel...he did a FULL BODY workout for 2+ hours in the morning before the final round. Maximum reps on the bench, squats, curls abs etc....unreal! I stretch for 30 minutes, then play 18 in a cart, come home and nap for 2 hrs....Holy smokes!!!

Check out Koepka's post round interview on the golf channel...he did a FULL BODY workout for 2+ hours in the morning before the final round. Maximum reps on the bench, squats, curls abs etc....unreal! I stretch for 30 minutes, then play 18 in a cart, come home and nap for 2 hrs....Holy smokes!!!

Yeah, Dude is jacked. This is definitely one thing Tiger brought to the Tour - the concept of being an athlete and working out hard. Compare these guys and their work out habits to the guys of yore.

If Koepke/s putting and chipping desert him, he could still make a living doing Long Drive contests.

my guess is, by the way his GF kissed him after he won, his day wasn't over. (perhaps she is part Cherokee).

DYlXHHMX0AAxJ7H.jpg

Check out the complete list of payouts for the $11 million in prize money.

Winner (Brooks Koepka): $1.980 million
Runner-up (Tiger Woods): $1.188 million

3. $748,000
4. $528,000
5. $450,500
6. $380,000
7. $343,650
8. $319,600
9. $295,600
10.$272,300

That last hole cost Adam some $

Check out the complete list of payouts for the $11 million in prize money.

Winner (Brooks Koepka): $1.980 million
Runner-up (Tiger Woods): $1.188 million

3. $748,000
4. $528,000
5. $450,500
6. $380,000
7. $343,650
8. $319,600
9. $295,600
10.$272,300

That last hole cost Adam some $

And his caddy as well. I bet he wasn’t happy with him

And his caddy as well. I bet he wasn’t happy with him
I don't know who his caddy is, he has gone through a few guys lately. The big names keep their guys on salary, IIRC.

In any case, according to the PGA website, Adam Scott has won $48.7 million in his career so I'm sure his caddies are doing OK.

Thinking back over yesterday’s final round, Koepka’s composure while essentially playing match play with Scott while the roars for Tiger became louder and louder.....pretty damn impressive for a kid that age.

A really entertaining day of golf!

The last time Tiger took 2nd place in a Major was his divorce in 2010. Before that? 2009 PGA Championship.

Interesting that (I don't believe) that Tiger has ever come from behind to win a major. He won by grabbing the lead and then intimidating the rest of the field.

HA - I think 30 minutes about stretching, then play 18 in a cart (if playing at my club, with a cart chaser), come home and nap with the basset hound until it’s time for bed!

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
Tiger's intimidation factor was worth 3-4 strokes easily, at one time. That cushion is gone and will never return. Tiger knew it, too. You could see it in his own body habitus. The rest of the field isn't going to fold around him anymore.

Tigers contention was worth a 70 percent YoY increase in ratings, and the most watched final round of a major since 2009. Him plus these younger exciting stars is great for the game.

Reactions: delcoLion
It's good for the game because today's young players are all cookie cutter molds of each other. Slim, muscular, for the most part devoid of much personality. They all have the same swing, wear similar clothing, and are all good buddies. It's way too homogenized. There's none of the Jack vs. Arnie, Phil vs Tiger, John Daly vs the bottle. Having Tiger in the mix relieves the boredom.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
It's good for the game because today's young players are all cookie cutter molds of each other. Slim, muscular, for the most part devoid of much personality. They all have the same swing, wear similar clothing, and are all good buddies. It's way too homogenized. There's none of the Jack vs. Arnie, Phil vs Tiger, John Daly vs the bottle. Having Tiger in the mix relieves the boredom.
Not to mention pushing the TV ratings into the stratosphere....

I think there is more diversity than you might think.

Arnold Palmer was 5' 10". Jack Nichlaus was 5' 10". Gary Player was 5' 6". That's four inches difference but in many minds Player almost seemed a midget compared to Jack and Arnie.

Yet today, while you may think the guys on the tour all look alike, there's a fair amount of diversity. The top ten finishers in the PGA Championship spanned a nine inch difference in height (from Francisco Molinair to Thomas Pieters). That's a pretty broad range of cookie cutting.

1. Brooks Koepka 6' 0" :
2. Tiger Woods 6'1"
3. Adam Scott 6' 0"
T4. Stewart Cink 6' 4"
T4. Jon Rahm 6' 4"
T6. Thomas Pieters 6' 5"
T6. Francisco Molinari 5' 8"
T6. Justin Thomas 5' 10"
T6. Gary Woodland 6' 1:
T10. Rafa Cabrera-Bello 6' 2"
T10. Tyrelll Hatton 5' 9"

For some reason, I think the TV cameras seem to project the guys as all looking about the same height. It might have something to do with the way that the telephoto shots frame them.

Yes the above guys all were pretty lean, but you also have a few guys who lap over their belts a bit ala Beef Johnson. Patrick Reed, Jason Duffner, Pat Perez, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Shane Lowry, etc.

If you dig just a bit, the diversity is there.

Arnold Palmer was 5' 10". Jack Nichlaus was 5' 10". Gary Player was 5' 6". That's four inches difference but in many minds Player almost seemed a midget compared to Jack and Arnie.

Yet today, while you may think the guys on the tour all look alike, there's a fair amount of diversity. The top ten finishers in the PGA Championship spanned a nine inch difference in height (from Francisco Molinair to Thomas Pieters). That's a pretty broad range of cookie cutting.

1. Brooks Koepka 6' 0" :
2. Tiger Woods 6'1"
3. Adam Scott 6' 0"
T4. Stewart Cink 6' 4"
T4. Jon Rahm 6' 4"
T6. Thomas Pieters 6' 5"
T6. Justin Thomas 5' 10"
T6. Gary Woodland 6' 1:

For some reason, I think the TV cameras seem to project the guys as all looking about the same height. It might have something to do with the way that the telephoto shots frame them.

Yes the above guys all were pretty lean, but you also have a few guys who lap over their belts a bit ala Beef Johnson. Patrick Reed, Jason Duffner, Pat Perez, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Shane Lowry, etc.

I don't think JT is 5'10" either.
Also, CBS said on Sunday he weighed 140 or was it 146 lbs?

1. Brooks Koepka 6' 0" :
2. Tiger Woods 6'1"
3. Adam Scott 6' 0"
T4. Stewart Cink 6' 4"
T4. Jon Rahm 6' 4"
T6. Thomas Pieters 6' 5"
T6. Justin Thomas 5' 10"
T6. Gary Woodland 6' 1:

The irony with Patrick Reed is no one goes to the gym less than him, but no one plays more golf. He's one of few Americans playing as a member on both tours. I think Kuchar and Uihlein have duel membership too. Reed is currently 2nd in the Race To Dubai.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
The irony with Patrick Reed is no one goes to the gym less than him, but no one plays more golf. He's one of few Americans playing as a member on both tours. I think Kuchar and Uihlein have duel membership too. Reed is currently 2nd in the Race To Dubai.

I think VJ hits more balls and plays more golf than anyone on this planet. Not sure if he’s ever seen a gym, if he has it was probably because the range was out of balls.

Because of the World Golf Championships, it's not that difficult to play both tours anymore, if you are good enough. The four majors plus four World Golf Championships (the WGC- Mexico, WGC-Dell Match Play, WGC-Bridgestone, and the WGC-HSBC) count as both PGA Tour and European Tour official events. A player need only play in a total of 11 European Tour events to keep his card. That means a PGA Tour member only needs to find three other events (and win enough money) to keep a European Tour card. Play in the Scottish Open the week before the British Open and you are down to two. The challenge is being good enough to get invites to the limited field events.

Reactions: kevin310
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT