ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LIVE PGA Championship thread

Game on after Tiger's putt.

Only 2 players have won the PGA and US Open in the same year, Tiger and Jack. Will Brooks join that elite company?

Shanks a lot.
Frank’s Lunch-Shank’s and Evelyn’s Roast Beef (10th and Clymer South Philly- but closed for years)

If you know about Philly sandwiches and lunch spots you had to know about Shank’s. It was the best.

Tiger shoots 64...his best final round EVER in any of his majors...In December noone thought he would ever play again....and he could have won this thing. Now....who out there doesn't think golf is better with Tiger being back.

I’m pretty happy Tiger didn’t win. At least people might talk about some of the other people playing rather than it being Tiger Tiger Tiger all the time. Anyone can be a frontrunner and there were a ton of them in STL.

As for the golf itself, you can’t ask for much more in a major. Plenty of storylines and birdies all over the place. Roars were going up on holes Tiger wasn’t on because they’d cheer the scoreboard operators putting another birdie up. In the end, the 17th hole bit him. 3-jack on Saturday and then the terrible drive today. Before the British, I was thinking that it was time to slow the roll on the praise. But now it’s pretty evident thatvhe’s back to normal. Great ones don’t just lose it. Koepka? 4 wins, 3 of them majors. He’s like the Cris Carter of golf. He acknowledged his lack of focus in normal events but he’s just a silent assassin. He could have melted after the missed short birdies on 12-13 but he rose to the occasion on 15-16. A good week of golf and other than Phoenix, I haven’t seen this concentration of people at a tournament.

SIAP

I almost forgot about the most bizarre moment. CBS builds up the fact that his mom was going to surprise him and that he didn’t know she was there. Anyway, they briefly greet and hug and that’s it. He mumbles how are you and then proceeds to enthusiastically greet a few random bros of his afterwards. What was up with that?

The Ryder Cup is shaping up to be about as competitive as a baby-seal-clubbing.
For entertainment value, it worked well to have a villain:

colin-montgomerie-ryder-cup-golf_3201936.jpg

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Impressive performance by Brooks Koepka. I was aware of some connection to PA, but didn't recall that Brooks is the nephew of the great Dick Groat.

Brooks Koepka’s Family: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Brooks is also passionate about baseball, and admitted to Golf Digest he would switch sports if he had the opportunity.

“If I could do it over again, I’d play baseball—100 percent, no doubt,” Brooks told Golf Digest.

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/08/brooks-koepka-family-brother-mom-dad/

Something I’ve never seen from Tiger before: after he signed his card, he waited and congratulated Koepka as he came in to sign his card. A nice gesture, I’m sure as disappointed as he was he was anxious to get out of town.

KUDOS to the St. Louis crowds, absolutely amazing. (Honestly, though, I wonder what they would have been if Tiger had not been playing and in contention.)

No matter how you feel about him personally.....and there are a lot of pros to go with the cons.....he is one hell of a golfer and one hell of a competitor.

Looking forward to The Ryder Cup!

I’m pretty happy Tiger didn’t win. At least people might talk about some of the other people playing rather than it being Tiger Tiger Tiger all the time. Anyone can be a frontrunner and there were a ton of them in STL.

As for the golf itself, you can’t ask for much more in a major. Plenty of storylines and birdies all over the place. Roars were going up on holes Tiger wasn’t on because they’d cheer the scoreboard operators putting another birdie up. In the end, the 17th hole bit him. 3-jack on Saturday and then the terrible drive today. Before the British, I was thinking that it was time to slow the roll on the praise. But now it’s pretty evident thatvhe’s back to normal. Great ones don’t just lose it. Koepka? 4 wins, 3 of them majors. He’s like the Cris Carter of golf. He acknowledged his lack of focus in normal events but he’s just a silent assassin. He could have melted after the missed short birdies on 12-13 but he rose to the occasion on 15-16. A good week of golf and other than Phoenix, I haven’t seen this concentration of people at a tournament.

Yes it’s Tiger Tiger Tiger, but Tiger just made Brooks Koepka a ton of money. The attention of Tiger introduced Koepka to a lot more people today.

Tiger shoots 64...his best final round EVER in any of his majors...In December noone thought he would ever play again....and he could have won this thing. Now....who out there doesn't think golf is better with Tiger being back.

Heck I had money on Koepka to win at +550 after Friday’s round and I was still rooting for Tiger. It’s just more fun when he’s relevant.

AND

Tiger’s 266 was the lowest he’s ever shot in his 80 Majors. :rolleyes:

The Ryder Cup is shaping up to be about as competitive as a baby-seal-clubbing.

You vastly underestimate what Europe is going to bring to this event with their skill and their depth. It may not have shown up in the majors this year but it's going to be a lot closer this year than it was at Hazeltine.

Something I’ve never seen from Tiger before: after he signed his card, he waited and congratulated Koepka as he came in to sign his card. A nice gesture, I’m sure as disappointed as he was he was anxious to get out of town.

KUDOS to the St. Louis crowds, absolutely amazing. (Honestly, though, I wonder what they would have been if Tiger had not been playing and in contention.)

No matter how you feel about him personally.....and there are a lot of pros to go with the cons.....he is one hell of a golfer and one hell of a competitor.

Looking forward to The Ryder Cup!
And right behind Tiger to congratulate Koepka was Rickie Fowler, who seems to always be there to congratulate the winner. Very classy -- hope he wins one himself soon.

Yes it’s Tiger Tiger Tiger, but Tiger just made Brooks Koepka a ton of money. The attention of Tiger introduced Koepka to a lot more people today.

Agree, but BK has won two majors this year. That puts him in very exclusive company. What did they say, only five players have ever won the PGA and US Open in the same year? Awesome.

Great to see Tiger back. He seemed genuinely moved. You can see his confidence coming back as he seemed to shrink in the back nine in previous events. He didn't shrink this time, other than one really, really bad tee shot (and a very weak chip). But he made some "Houdini" shots too.

You have to like the "kids" on tour right now. All seem very professional and level headed without appearing to be robots. Golf got a big shot in the arm yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT