ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Let's all feel old(er)! Movies that turn 20 this year....

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

sub-buzz-18694-1512494362-1.png

sub-buzz-22575-1513792636-1.jpg

sub-buzz-13144-1512494749-1.jpg

sub-buzz-28365-1512496326-1.jpg

sub-buzz-19931-1512496915-9.jpg

sub-buzz-20987-1512498672-1.png

sub-buzz-21051-1512498841-5.jpg

sub-buzz-4461-1513791116-10.jpg

Reactions: Ranger Dan
such a great list of movies not on your list:

Rush Hour
Ronin
Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas
Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrells
Dark City

jeeez, looking ahead to 1999 films . . . may be one of the greatest years in the history of film

Two of my all time favorites (like, top three) are from 1999:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

He's referring to Marvel Studios - the first film the released is Blade.

OK But I don't think anyone really cares.

The movie that made Marvel Studios was Iron Man. They banked their entire future on that film.

Before Blade was Howard the Duck, which could be defined as the first Marvel feature film.

Also The Punisher with Dolph was also prior to Blade.

So if you want to create a special class and ask people like it matters, sure. Blade.

LdN

The movie that made Marvel Studios was Iron Man. They banked their entire future on that film.

Before Blade was Howard the Duck, which could be defined as the first Marvel feature film.

So if you want to create a special class and ask people like it matters, sure. Blade.

LdN

Just saying, as a fact, Marvel Studios first licensed movie was Blade. Then X-Men. Sure, there are other 'Marvel' movies (Punisher, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Howard the Duck) which pre-date Marvel Studios, and it probably doesn't matter to many, but movie nerds like talking about this kind of stuff.

Biggest takeaway to me is the lack of sequels/prequels/franchise films when comparing films from 2 decades back to today.

Top Grossing Movies 1998:
1 Saving Private Ryan
2 Armageddon
3 There's Something About Mary
4 A Bug's Life
5 The Waterboy
6 Doctor Dolittle
7 Rush Hour
8 Deep Impact
9 Godzilla
10 Patch Adams

Top Grossing Movies 2017:
1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi
2 Beauty and the Beast (2017)
3 Wonder Woman
4 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
5 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
6 Spider-Man: Homecoming
7 It
8 Thor: Ragnarok
9 Despicable Me 3
10 Justice League

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
such a great list of movies not on your list:

Rush Hour
Ronin
Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas
Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrells
Dark City

jeeez, looking ahead to 1999 films . . . may be one of the greatest years in the history of film

Dark City is a painfully underappreciated Sci-fi movie. INMO, one of the best.
Love Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrells and Snatch (INMO Brad Pitts best movie...ok 2nd best after Fight Club).
And introduced us to Morgan, ne Lennie James

LdN

I thought it was interesting and was previously unaware of it, so...

Just saying, as a fact, Marvel Studios first licensed movie was Blade. Then X-Men. Sure, there are other 'Marvel' movies (Punisher, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Howard the Duck) which pre-date Marvel Studios, and it probably doesn't matter to many, but movie nerds like talking about this kind of stuff.
I tend to be completely clueless when it comes to studio, director and oftentimes actor and movie trivia. But I loved Howard the Duck, which let’s face it wasn’t an award-worthy movie.

Cant speak for others but I’ll never forget the scene when the girl messed with Howard and started flirting... when his feathers started to stand up.... that and the weird alien villain are like the only things I clearly remember from it.

I tend to be completely clueless when it comes to studio, director and oftentimes actor and movie trivia. But I loved Howard the Duck, which let’s face it wasn’t an award-worthy movie.

Cant speak for others but I’ll never forget the scene when the girl messed with Howard and started flirting... when his feathers started to stand up.... that and the weird alien villain are like the only things I clearly remember from it.

Hmmmm. I think this post belongs in the 420 thread.:D

I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan...went the second day it came out. I vividly recall vets in the theater crying, vets who were at Normandy. I left the theater drained, in awe of the movie. I went back 2 more times...an absolute classic. Plus, my father-in-law was a Paratrooper with the 101st Airborne and went in the nite before d-day...the movie moved more than any movie I have ever seen.

Can you please clarify? You say Marvel Studios made earlier movies but Blade was the first that they "licensed". What do you mean by that? I'm not a big comic book guy (or comic book movie guy) so please keep it simple. TIA

Can you please clarify? You say Marvel Studios made earlier movies but Blade was the first that they "licensed". What do you mean by that? I'm not a big comic book guy (or comic book movie guy) so please keep it simple. TIA

Sorry - Marvel made earlier movies but they weren't a production studio; the characters were licensed by established film studios and Marvel's only role was to cash a check. In 1996, Marvel Studios was created, and they started to take a holistic approach to the licensing, packaging, and distribution of their films. So, they had a stake in the movie - the first one was Blade. Fox Studios had the rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four, so those continued to be distributed by Fox but Marvel had a producing role (which gave them more control over movies, but not all control). Iron Man was the first movie completely produced and distributed by Marvel Studios.

20 years ago there was that Tom Cruise movie. Cocktail I think it was called? There was a nice looking actress that played opposite him. What the heck was her name? Elisabeth Shoop? No. Elisabeth Shoes? No. Dang. Wait. I remember. It was Shue! Yes. Elisabeth Shue!! Easy on the eyes. Anyone know what became of her?
cocktail-2.png

Hmmmm. I think this post belongs in the 420 thread.:D
I’m semi-horrified to ask... I don’t know “420” aside from marijuana, which I just looked up in urban dictionary.

EDIT: just found it. yeah. Fair enough.

I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan...went the second day it came out. I vividly recall vets in the theater crying, vets who were at Normandy. I left the theater drained, in awe of the movie. I went back 2 more times...an absolute classic. Plus, my father-in-law was a Paratrooper with the 101st Airborne and went in the nite before d-day...the movie moved more than any movie I have ever seen.
The soundtrack of the gunfire, especially when hitting the steel tank traps as the troops landed was especially realistic and unnerving to me.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
You might find this unsettling, but I have not seen even one of these movies in its entirety. I caught 1/2 of the “you've got mail” chic flick on a flight back from London. The other 4 don’t even seem interesting to me.

Really? I thought everyone saw There’s Something About Mary. Of those on the list Saving Private Ryan, American History X, and Big Lebowski are the tops IMO.

If you go 30 years you have Rain Man, Big, Die Hard, Beetlejuice, Bull Durham, Cocktail, Dangerous Liaisons, Coming to America and other classics!

Die Hard is one of those movies I've watched a thousand times. However, my favorite movie from 1988 might just be Midnight Run. That is on the top of my list of underrated comedy films, De Nero and Grodin worked great together, some hilarious scenes.

sorry, thought I was addressing comic book nerds

hence the reason I have LdN on ignore . . . 40 years I have been collecting comic books. and 40 years of guys like him who have strong opinions about sh*t they know nothing about, LOL

Die Hard is one of those movies I've watched a thousand times. However, my favorite movie from 1988 might just be Midnight Run. That is on the top of my list of underrated comedy films, De Nero and Grodin worked great together, some hilarious scenes.

one of the most relevant films from 1988 is They Live . . .

sorry, thought I was addressing comic book nerds

hence the reason I have LdN on ignore . . . 40 years I have been collecting comic books. and 40 years of guys like him who have strong opinions about sh*t they know nothing about, LOL

Stop the presses! You IGNORE guys just because they “have strong opinions about sh*t they know nothing about?”

Sheesh. Talk about limiting thy self...

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT