ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Let me get this straight......

harbest

Sep 26, 2001
Hardened criminals, some who are incarcerated for life, can no longer go into the yard and light up but the Governor has sent the Lt. Governor out into the state to stick his finger in the air and see if it's OK to legalize "recreational" marijuana. What's wrong with this picture? I am a devout non smoker, having gone through countless car rides in the summer and having my fathers cigarette ash fly in my face in the back seat (He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 87, had a Whipple and passed away from it in 1991, my mother passed away about 2 years ago from COPD which was probably brought on by my fathers 3 pack of Pall Mell's a day habit). Does it make sense when the right hand is saying "Smoking is bad, we are trying to help you and make you quit" while the left hand is saying "Go ahead, light up"? If studies prove it has medicinal value and people want to go that way, fine. but overall, shouldn't we be trying to get people to quit smoking period?

Last edited:
Hardened criminals, some who are incarcerated for life, can no longer go into the yard and light up but the Governor has sent the Lt. Governor out into the state to stick his finger in the air and see if it's OK to legalize "recreational" marijuana. What's wrong with this picture? I am a devout non smoker, having gone through countless car rides in the summer and having my fathers cigarette ash fly in my face in the back seat (He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 87, had a whipple and passed away from it in 1991, my mother passed away about 2 years ago fro COPD which was probably brought on by my fathers 3 pack of Pall Mell's a day habit). Does it make sense when the right hand is saying "Smoking is bad, we are trying to help you and make you quit" while the left hand is saying "Go ahead, light up"? If studies prove it has medicinal value and people want to go that way, fine. but overall, shouldn't we be trying to get people to quit smoking period?

Lots to unpack here, but suffice to say smoking isn’t the only or even likely the most preferable way to use marijuana.

Studies show that marijuana does have medicinal benefits, most especially for treating pain. And we need pain treatment alternatives to opioids, which are killing us. Please keep in mind, finally, that medicinal marijuana comes in different forms and need not make smoke.

Hardened criminals, some who are incarcerated for life, can no longer go into the yard and light up but the Governor has sent the Lt. Governor out into the state to stick his finger in the air and see if it's OK to legalize "recreational" marijuana. What's wrong with this picture? I am a devout non smoker, having gone through countless car rides in the summer and having my fathers cigarette ash fly in my face in the back seat (He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 87, had a whipple and passed away from it in 1991, my mother passed away about 2 years ago fro COPD which was probably brought on by my fathers 3 pack of Pall Mell's a day habit). Does it make sense when the right hand is saying "Smoking is bad, we are trying to help you and make you quit" while the left hand is saying "Go ahead, light up"? If studies prove it has medicinal value and people want to go that way, fine. but overall, shouldn't we be trying to get people to quit smoking period?
The only thing the Governor is saying is "see how we can get more money from those suckers" He really does not care about your health or probably anyones but his.

Studies show that marijuana does have medicinal benefits, most especially for treating pain. And we need pain treatment alternatives to opioids, which are killing us. Please keep in mind, finally, that medicinal marijuana comes in different forms and need not make smoke.
Not entirely true. The only FDA approved indications for cannabis use in the United States are 1) appetite enhancement for AIDS patients and 2) treatment of nausea in patients undergoing chemotherapy.
In a very small study (23 patients) cannabis did decrease pain scores in patients with neuropathic or post-surgical pain. In a large study in Australia cannabis was shown to have an opioid sparing effect in patients with non-cancer pain. Not surprisingly, the cannabis using group in that study that significantly higher rates of unemployment and lower social functioning, as well as much higher rates of concomitant drug addiction - opioids 3X higher than control group, amphetamines 6X higher.
The most recent position statement on marijuana/cannabis as a medication, per the American Psychiatric Association, from December 2013, states "There is no current scientific evidence that marijuana is in any way beneficial for the treatment of any psychiatric disorder. In contrast, current evidence supports, at minimum, a strong association of cannabis use with the onset of psychiatric disorders. Adolescents are particularly vulnerable to harm, given the effects of cannabis on neurological development."

Last edited:

You do know that you don't necessarily have to "smoke" pot right?

Lots to unpack here, but suffice to say smoking isn’t the only or even likely the most preferable way to use marijuana.

giphy.gif

Reactions: odshowtime

Legalizing marijuana generates tax revenue. Inmates dont pay taxes.

Not entirely true. The only FDA approved indications for cannabis use in the United States are 1) appetite enhancement for AIDS patients and 2) treatment of nausea in patients undergoing chemotherapy.
In a very small study (23 patients) cannabis did decrease pain scores in patients with neuropathic or post-surgical pain. In a large study in Australia cannabis was shown to have an opioid sparing effect in patients with non-cancer pain. Not surprisingly, the cannabis using group in that study that significantly higher rates of unemployment and lower social functioning, as well as much higher rates of concomitant drug addiction - opioids 3X higher than control group, amphetamines 6X higher.
The most recent position statement on marijuana/cannabis as a medication, per the American Psychiatric Association, from December 2013, states "There is no current scientific evidence that marijuana is in any way beneficial for the treatment of any psychiatric disorder. In contrast, current evidence supports, at minimum, a strong association of cannabis use with the onset of psychiatric disorders. Adolescents are particularly vulnerable to harm, given the effects of cannabis on neurological development."
Fair enough. I can offer only anecdotes from doctor friends who prescribe marijuana for patients with end-stage cancer diagnoses.

Apparently the gambling revenue is not enough.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Another tremendous source of revenue starting to be realized is CBD. CBD is extracted from hemp, and unlike THC, is not psychoactive. CBD is believed to offer many medicinal benefits, but it does not get you high. One can smoke hemp, but there are numerous other sources of CBD, including vaping, edibles, and topicals. A CBD drug has even been approved by the FDA (Epidiolex).

Last edited:
You do know that you don't necessarily have to "smoke" pot right?

Yes, they have made that clear by going the medicinal route, but as far as legalizing recreational use, it only shows people lighting up. You have to wonder if some people pushing the medical use are trying to use this route like a Trojan horse for recreational use.

Yes, they have made that clear by going the medicinal route, but as far as legalizing recreational use, it only shows people lighting up. You have to wonder if some people pushing the medical use are trying to use this route like a Trojan horse for recreational use.

What else are they going to show, someone eating a brownie?

I am happy they are banning smoking in prison. Generates a lot of health issues taxpayers have to pay in higher medical expenses. And tobacco is a major currency in prison under ground economies so that is another reason to ban it.

As for legalizing recreational pot.....stupid idea. We don't know enough about it. What levels of THC are enough to cause cognitive issues? What is acceptable in driving DUI? I hear that traffic accidents are up in Colorado..is it related to THC use?

What is the penetration into high schools/middle schools in Co or other states that have legalized it? How children are now using? How many are getting it from older siblings or friends?

What about work related safety issues....THC stays in the system much longer than alcohol. I can have a six pack on Sunday watching sports and be at zero BAL by Monday morning. Not true for THC. If I have an employee that smokes several joints, or ingests it, what is the safe level for him to work on a dangerous construction site or drive trucks or forklifts? Who is liable if a worker that has residual THC in his/her system and causes a death on the job? How do I make sure that employees have THC at or below acceptable levels in their system?

Would you want your surgeon to get high on weekends and the operate on you on Monday?

We have enough problems in our workforce, lets not add another.

Reactions: Fila
I am happy they are banning smoking in prison. Generates a lot of health issues taxpayers have to pay in higher medical expenses. And tobacco is a major currency in prison under ground economies so that is another reason to ban it.

As for legalizing recreational pot.....stupid idea. We don't know enough about it. What levels of THC are enough to cause cognitive issues? What is acceptable in driving DUI? I hear that traffic accidents are up in Colorado..is it related to THC use?

What is the penetration into high schools/middle schools in Co or other states that have legalized it? How children are now using? How many are getting it from older siblings or friends?

What about work related safety issues....THC stays in the system much longer than alcohol. I can have a six pack on Sunday watching sports and be at zero BAL by Monday morning. Not true for THC. If I have an employee that smokes several joints, or ingests it, what is the safe level for him to work on a dangerous construction site or drive trucks or forklifts? Who is liable if a worker that has residual THC in his/her system and causes a death on the job? How do I make sure that employees have THC at or below acceptable levels in their system?

Would you want your surgeon to get high on weekends and the operate on you on Monday?

We have enough problems in our workforce, lets not add another.

There are lots of studies from CO, OR and WA that answer your questions.
Yes I can have THC in my system for weeks after smoking it, doesn't mean I'm still high or stoned.
I probably would rather my Surgeon have been high on the weekend then hungover and operating on Monday.
After seeing all my coworkers coming in hungover from St. Paddys day, tell me again how "bad" residual THC is.

Yes I can have THC in my system for weeks after smoking it, doesn't mean I'm still high or stoned.
I probably would rather my Surgeon have been high on the weekend then hungover and operating on Monday.
After seeing all my coworkers coming in hungover from St. Paddys day, tell me again how "bad" residual THC is.
---
What level is safe? How do we know? How do we test the blood levels?

Just for the record - the same people who want government out of our lives, are the ones who clamor that the government should be in our lives dictating to us what is and isn't best for us?

You are speaking of abortion, right?

It’s going to happen. Thankfully those that don’t wish to use it won’t have to.

Legal Marijuana sales of over $6 Billion in Colorado since legalization began here is money that is going to legal businesses and tax revenue to the State vs going to cartels or the mob.The sooner states living in the past wake up to recreational and medicinal legalization the better. Edibles and beverages are popular ways to enjoy without smoking.

Legal Marijuana sales of over $6 Billion in Colorado since legalization began here is money that is going to legal businesses and tax revenue to the State vs going to cartels or the mob.The sooner states living in the past wake up to recreational and medicinal legalization the better. Edibles and beverages are popular ways to enjoy without smoking.

^^This^^

I wonder if there's any relationship between young people leaving Pennsylvania for destinations such as Colorado, Oregon, California, etc?

I wonder why Canada is now the preferred Spring Break destination for College Students under 21 years of age? It's pretty cold in Canada at this time of year. Yet they are flocking there to spend money.

I wonder if there's one person currently in Pennsylvania that isn't smoking pot because it's still being prosecuted?

We all know that eventually marijuana will be legal Pennsylvania. By waiting it out PA is losing (probably for the most part lost) the opportunity for Research, Manufacturing, and Distribution within this industry. Yet instead, many would rather continue to spend money enforcing laws, incarcerating citizens, and in general chasing our young away.

First of all, we don't put people in jail for smoking tobacco, even though tobacco is highly addictive and much more harmful than cannabis.

In the Keystone State, we not only jail people for smoking weed, if you try to grow a few cannabis plants in the woods, the game commission and the state police might run you over with a bulldozer as a way of preventing the breakdown of western civilization -- and also because, hey, bulldozers are fun!

I just wonder, is this the same state police who use aircraft to attack disorderly tailgates at PSU football games?

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...of-Pot-Suspect-in-Berks-County-507304431.html

Hardened criminals, some who are incarcerated for life, can no longer go into the yard and light up but the Governor has sent the Lt. Governor out into the state to stick his finger in the air and see if it's OK to legalize "recreational" marijuana. What's wrong with this picture? I am a devout non smoker, having gone through countless car rides in the summer and having my fathers cigarette ash fly in my face in the back seat (He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 87, had a Whipple and passed away from it in 1991, my mother passed away about 2 years ago from COPD which was probably brought on by my fathers 3 pack of Pall Mell's a day habit). Does it make sense when the right hand is saying "Smoking is bad, we are trying to help you and make you quit" while the left hand is saying "Go ahead, light up"? If studies prove it has medicinal value and people want to go that way, fine. but overall, shouldn't we be trying to get people to quit smoking period?

Reactions: BBrown
---
Yep, and many edibles have much more THC than a single joint. And much pot has been genetically altered to have double or more than the THC than old, regular pot. In Canada you can buy a THC lollipop with nines times the THC in a standard joint.
Do one of these lollipops on Sunday night and then go to work on Monday. Again I ask;

What levels of THC are enough to cause cognitive issues? What is acceptable in driving DUI? I hear that traffic accidents are up in Colorado....is it related to THC use? How can a driver be quickly, accurately, and cheaply tested?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT