ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lawrence of Arabia coming to big screen in September 2019

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I’ve always considered Lawrence of Arabia one of greatest movies ever made. The sets and cinematography are spectacular, O’Tooles performance was outstanding, and the story and story/message seems timeless. Alas, I’m too young to have seen it on the big screen when originally released, and haven’t been able to catch it anywhere other than my living room.

I can’t wait to see this movie in September, and maybe Shawshank as well in late September.

https://www.fathomevents.com/series...MIk42lmtyO3wIVCeDICh0GQQFbEAAYASAAEgIUtPD_BwE

It is much better on the big screen. The cinematography, scenery, and music are really made for a big screen. I saw it for the first time in the cinema of a cruise ship in the Caribbean. The movie has a substantial run time, but I found it spellbinding. I'd gladly pay to see it again in a theater.

It is much better on the big screen. The cinematography, scenery, and music are really made for a big screen. I saw it for the first time in the cinema of a cruise ship in the Caribbean. The movie has a substantial run time, but I found it spellbinding. I'd gladly pay to see it again in a theater.
It will be on the big screen in September... check to see where it is playing near you.

I remember when it first came out, there was an intermission. People stormed the snack bar for Cokes. One felt that they were in the desert along with Lawrence.

In keeping with the sophistication that is Lawrence of Arabia, I am reminded of a Merry Melodies cartoon where everyone in the theater storms into the lobby during intermission and smokes like there’s no tomorrow. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it on YouTube.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
In keeping with the sophistication that is Lawrence of Arabia, I am reminded of a Merry Melodies cartoon where everyone in the theater storms into the lobby during intermission and smokes like there’s no tomorrow. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it on YouTube.

I’ve always considered Lawrence of Arabia one of greatest movies ever made. The sets and cinematography are spectacular, O’Tooles performance was outstanding, and the story and story/message seems timeless. Alas, I’m too young to have seen it on the big screen when originally released, and haven’t been able to catch it anywhere other than my living room.

I can’t wait to see this movie in September, and maybe Shawshank as well in late September.

https://www.fathomevents.com/series...MIk42lmtyO3wIVCeDICh0GQQFbEAAYASAAEgIUtPD_BwE

I mentioned in a thread earlier this week that I had seen Casablanca on the big screen this past Tuesday and it was terrific. No matter how big your TV is, nothing beats seeing it in a theater.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Dr. Zhivago is another old classic that is best enjoyed on the big screen. The winter scenes are terrific.
Dr-Zhivago-house-exterior.jpg

Agree that Lawrence of Arabia is one of all-time great films and also the soundtrack.

You should read a bio of Lawrence, the one I’ve read is Hero, by Michael Korda. Very interesting.

BTW, I think I heard somewhere that Schindler’s List is being re-released also.

David Lean made some great movies; most in the epic form.

A great book titled Lawrence in Arabia, War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson is a long but informative read. Churchill saw the limitations of coal ships against diesel and the need for oil for the British Navy, the Ottoman Empire was foundering, Russia teetering on revolution, France and Britain still strong and USA starting to ascend. TE Lawrence was in the middle of it all as were several other young men all around 30 who had incredible roles in history. He became essentially a recluse at a young age after returning to England.

A great book titled Lawrence in Arabia, War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson is a long but informative read. Churchill saw the limitations of coal ships against diesel and the need for oil for the British Navy, the Ottoman Empire was foundering, Russia teetering on revolution, France and Britain still strong and USA starting to ascend. TE Lawrence was in the middle of it all as were several other young men all around 30 who had incredible roles in history. He became essentially a recluse at a young age after returning to England.
That book is on my list to read...

ADVERTISEMENT