ADVERTISEMENT

-

This is an interesting and yet disturbing story of a company that "invests" in minor league baseball players for a % of their future earnings in the Major League.

Trailer

Podcast

I could not help but wonder if this is the future of college football and basketball? I know there are limitations on paying collegiate players but in light of the story out of Miami this week, you can't help but wonder. I guess it is possible that has been going on under the table for awhile...
That was a really interesting segment. It's only a matter of time for college sports, if it's not already happening. The economics are similar in a lot of cases.

This is an interesting and yet disturbing story of a company that "invests" in minor league baseball players for a % of their future earnings in the Major League.

Trailer

Podcast

I could not help but wonder if this is the future of college football and basketball? I know there are limitations on paying collegiate players but in light of the story out of Miami this week, you can't help but wonder. I guess it is possible that has been going on under the table for awhile...
Thanks for the post and I'll watch it later...but this has been going on for decades. Kids borrow against their future earnings. Since they aren't actually earning anything, it is OK. This is why you see players not making any money driving high end cars in college. Even if they don't get pro contracts, they can use game-worn equipment as collateral. This is why tOSU gives away "gold pants" and players use a new set of clothes for each game (socks, jerzy, pants, shoes, everything but helmet).

Reactions: 91Joe95
Thanks for the post and I'll watch it later...but this has been going on for decades. Kids borrow against their future earnings. Since they aren't actually earning anything, it is OK. This is why you see players not making any money driving high end cars in college. Even if they don't get pro contracts, they can use game-worn equipment as collateral. This is why tOSU gives away "gold pants" and players use a new set of clothes for each game (socks, jerzy, pants, shoes, everything but helmet).
This is a little different. The kids aren't borrowing $. They are being staked up front by a private equity fund in exchange for a % of future earnings.

This is no different than most places offering a paycheck loan days before you are actually going to get paid.

This is no different than most places offering a paycheck loan days before you are actually going to get paid.
BNPL. Buy Now Pay Later

Chime, among others, will give you access to your paycheck two days before it hits.

It is actually very different. If the kid is staked and never makes it to the big leagues, the stake never gets repaid. If the staked kid is Fernando Tatis Jr., the initial stake of a fed hundred thousand becomes a repayment of multi millions (real example).

Trailer

Podcast

In Silicon Valley these are called 'incubators'...

giphy.gif

It is actually very different. If the kid is staked and never makes it to the big leagues, the stake never gets repaid. If the staked kid is Fernando Tatis Jr., the initial stake of a fed hundred thousand becomes a repayment of multi millions (real example).
exactly right. Tatis Jr is a HUGE outlier here, though my guess is these investors don’t give $ to just any minor leaguer. Their algorithm has to like a player.

Reactions: Lionguy32
ADVERTISEMENT