ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I've got to root for a Pitt guy now?

Steelers wanted a receiver or an offensive lineman early guys got drafted and Pickett was next up.
I like where they’re sitting, Pickens is a good pick at 52. Very physical and likely would’ve been a first round pick if it weren’t for his injury.

Pickett, Harris, Johnson/Claypool/Pickens, and Freiermuth has the makings of a nice young core on offense. I think they should go defense and offensive line from here on out.

Reactions: royboy
I like where they’re sitting, Pickens is a good pick at 52. Very physical and likely would’ve been a first round pick if it weren’t for his injury.

Pickett, Harris, Johnson/Claypool/Pickens, and Freiermuth has the makings of a nice young core on offense. I think they should go defense and offensive line from here on out.
Yeah, FWIW, here is the ESPN draft evaluation of WR Pickens from UGa

Pre-Draft Analysis​

Pickens excels at using his hands to get off press coverage. He shifts to a second gear tracking the deep ball, and his ability to make late adjustments makes him difficult to defend when the ball is in the air. He has a wide catch radius and shows the ability to snatch the ball over his head. Pickens has smaller hands and has the occasional focus drop, but he's a hands catcher. He's smooth transitioning upfield and is a threat after the catch. -- Steve Muench

Post-Draft Analysis​

The Steelers draft wide receivers better than any team in the league and find a potential replacement for JuJu Smith-Schuster in the electric receiver Pickens. He's a prototypical X receiver who has the skill set to become a true WR1 in the NFL. If he's able to stay healthy, Pickens could become the best receiver from this class. -- Matt Miller

Yeah, FWIW, here is the ESPN draft evaluation of WR Pickens from UGa

Pre-Draft Analysis​

Pickens excels at using his hands to get off press coverage. He shifts to a second gear tracking the deep ball, and his ability to make late adjustments makes him difficult to defend when the ball is in the air. He has a wide catch radius and shows the ability to snatch the ball over his head. Pickens has smaller hands and has the occasional focus drop, but he's a hands catcher. He's smooth transitioning upfield and is a threat after the catch. -- Steve Muench

Post-Draft Analysis​

The Steelers draft wide receivers better than any team in the league and find a potential replacement for JuJu Smith-Schuster in the electric receiver Pickens. He's a prototypical X receiver who has the skill set to become a true WR1 in the NFL. If he's able to stay healthy, Pickens could become the best receiver from this class. -- Matt Miller
That’s a good weapon for Pickett’s skillset. He doesn’t have the strongest arm so they’ll need to build the offense around attacking the boundaries (like Carr in Vegas) and receivers creating separation. Love to hear that he can get open and make a play. Will make a nice duo with Johnson’s route running.

That’s a good weapon for Pickett’s skillset. He doesn’t have the strongest arm so they’ll need to build the offense around attacking the boundaries (like Carr in Vegas) and receivers creating separation. Love to hear that he can get open and make a play. Will make a nice duo with Johnson’s route running.
Who emerges as starting QB by mid to late season?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I like Trubisky but I have to think Pickett. You don’t draft the most NFL-ready QB to have him sit the bench his rookie year. I trust Tomlin to put him in a good position either way.

With that being said, what’s interesting is that Trubisky and Pickett seem to have similar skill sets. Seems like they have an idea of what they want to do on offense regardless of who’s behind center.

Reactions: royboy
I like the Steelers picks, just hopeful that their O--line acquisitions of Cole and Daniels work out, along with development and good health for Dotson and others.

It's not a great roster overall, but they seem to find a way.

I like Leal at #84. Needed to get younger on the defensive line. Would like to see the best available at OT or DB at 138.

Very disappointed with this pick. Most NFL prospects enter the draft after 3 or 4 years in college. Pickett had 6, I think 5 as a starter. If he had come out after his 3rd, 4th or 5th year, he would have been a low round draft pick at best. In his 6th season, he took advantage of a weak schedule and being much older and more experienced than his opponents and put together a great season. Like the draftniks are saying, he has a high floor and low ceiling, as opposed to Malik Willis who has a low floor and high ceiling. I'll probably backslide, but I think I'm swearing off the Steelers after this pick. They had to have been swayed by all the Pitt fans who were rooting for Kenny.
He had 5. He is still only 23

Started at end of year 1 couple games
Started for 4 years after

This "Chris weinke " stuff is out of hand

I like Leal at #84. Needed to get younger on the defensive line. Would like to see the best available at OT or DB at 138.
I don’t know much about him but I saw he was an All-American. Hopefully he can give them some depth right away, especially if Tuitt doesn’t come back.

Pickett didn't stand out against any decent teams because in his senior year pitt didn't play any decent teams with Pickett at QB. The Steelers and their fans are going to regret this pick. When he flames out and ends up as a backup QB in the USFL, the Steelers are going to look at all the stars they could have chosen instead of Pickett. This may go down in history as the worst first round pick ever for the Steelers. Maybe 5 years from now when the Steelers are the new NFL Detroit Lions, their demise will be traced to this

Watch "Kenny Pickett to Jordan Addison touchdown Pitt vs Clemson 2021" on YouTube

Clemson says otherwise.

Last edited:
The Steelers passed on Marino for a nose tackle that flamed out in one year. How anyone can see that as a good move is … I don’t have words for that lunacy…. Marino was electric from year one…. But played on teams with no defense. If he would have been with the Steelers.. there are 3+ more Lombardi’s in the Burgh.
Nose tackle Gabe Rivera did not exactly flame out, he crashed his car while drunk and ended up paralyzed from waist down.......

1. Who cares that he went to Pitt? He's a Steeler now
2. No QB in this draft was worth a first round pick (or probably a second) but Pickett has the lowest floor. Worst case he's Ryan Fitzpatrick best case he's Derek Carr.
3. The Steelers getting Pickens and Leal on day make me less angry that they reached
4. I have no idea why anyone wanted Willis. People (including analysts) love to hype up players that played at smaller schools. Willis was not impressive in college. He probably sits for 2 years in Tennessee and then might do nothing.
5. Pickett is a lot like Trubisky so there's a lot of logic with that because they fit Canada's scheme.

I have a suspicion that Baker Mayfield will be on the Steelers roster next season.

He won't be in a Browns uniform next year. He is set to make $18m next year, the final one in his initial contract. So a trade is a one-year deal unless he commits to a long term contract. That may happen. But I am being told he may just take what he can get this year and free agent out for 2023. What better place to go than Pittsburgh where he can haunt the Browns? He certainly won't have a home in Cincy or Baltimore. That all leads me to believe Pittsburgh would be a great place for him to land.
LOL Baker won't be anywhere near the Steelers next year. They didn't sign Trubisky and draft Pickett to bring in a bust like Mayfield. Stop.

No one wants Baker. I don't understand why people can't see this. It's not just about the money. It's everything about him.

Mason Rudolph was better than Pickett in college too. If Penn State played pitt's schedule, Clifford would have better stats than Pickett had last year and Clifford would be a first round draft pick. Pickett is totally the product of a cupcake schedule. Making Pickett a first round draft choice will go down in history as one of the biggest Steelers' blunders.
We drafted Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, Huey Richardson, Jamain Stephens, etc. Pickett, as worst, will likely have a 10+ year career and be Case Keenum or Ryan Fitzmagic. That alone prevents him from being one of our biggest blunders

Reactions: bison13
Very disappointed with this pick. Most NFL prospects enter the draft after 3 or 4 years in college. Pickett had 6, I think 5 as a starter. If he had come out after his 3rd, 4th or 5th year, he would have been a low round draft pick at best. In his 6th season, he took advantage of a weak schedule and being much older and more experienced than his opponents and put together a great season. Like the draftniks are saying, he has a high floor and low ceiling, as opposed to Malik Willis who has a low floor and high ceiling. I'll probably backslide, but I think I'm swearing off the Steelers after this pick. They had to have been swayed by all the Pitt fans who were rooting for Kenny.
l have to stop reading comments in this tread. He's 23. He'll be 24 when the season starts. That's fine. He'll likely start in 2023 at the latest at 25 and won't be a free agent until he's 29. This is perfect. Notice Ridder went before Willis. Everyone needs to stop pretending Willis is Peyton Manning, John Elway, Dan Marino or even Russell Wilson. He's a huge risk and fell as far as he did because he's nothing special. Pickett's not a great pick but it was safe and made sense. Pickens, Leal and now Austin even with reaching for Pickett looks very good on paper. I didn't want a QB but we took the one that made the most sense. I think people are just angry he played at Pitt.

Reactions: hlstone
I suppose Pickett was the most NFL-ready of the QBs. I didn't watch him much in college. I know he was good last year. He didn't really stand out in his games against us (lots of yards in 2019, but not many points), but that was a while back. From his highlight videos, he looks to be a decent scrambler and good at throwing on the run when things break down, which he'll probably need to be with our OL. I was hoping for Willis, though he's probably a bit more of a gamble. I hope Tomlin/Colbert made the right call.
Tomlin/Colbert have not made many right calls. This franchise has turned into a disaster.

Reactions: joeaubie21
I don’t know much about him but I saw he was an All-American. Hopefully he can give them some depth right away, especially if Tuitt doesn’t come back.
l have to stop reading comments in this tread. He's 23. He'll be 24 when the season starts. That's fine. He'll likely start in 2023 at the latest at 25 and won't be a free agent until he's 29. This is perfect. Notice Ridder went before Willis. Everyone needs to stop pretending Willis is Peyton Manning, John Elway, Dan Marino or even Russell Wilson. He's a huge risk and fell as far as he did because he's nothing special. Pickett's not a great pick but it was safe and made sense. Pickens, Leal and now Austin even with reaching for Pickett looks very good on paper. I didn't want a QB but we took the one that made the most sense. I think people are just angry he played at Pitt.
Was initially lukewarm on the pick but on paper looks more and more like a good move. Worst case scenario you probably have a Kirk Cousins, Andy Dalton, Neil ODonnell, Garrapolo type starter with a good skill position nucleus around him. Adding Pickens and Austin and dare I say Boykin to the core group of Harris, Johnson Claypool and Freiermuth looks really good. Need to add a OT and a DT run stuffer next year.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Was initially lukewarm on the pick but on paper looks more and more like a good move. Worst case scenario you probably have a Kirk Cousins, Andy Dalton, Neil ODonnell, Garrapolo type starter with a good skill position nucleus around him. Adding Pickens and Austin and dare I say Boykin to the core group of Harris, Johnson Claypool and Freiermuth looks really good. Need to add a OT and a DT run stuffer next year.
I like where the offensive line is headed. James Daniels was a great signing and I think Dotson and Moore Jr. can take big steps. The Okorafor contract surprised me but they must like him. They should definitely look to acquire their next franchise center in 2023.

I also agree with the defensive line, it’s still good for now but it could see a big drop-off soon. Heyward and Alualu are getting older, Tuitt might not return and/or play past 2022, and there’s not much depth besides Wormley. I was hoping Jordan Davis would fall to us, he would’ve been a nose tackle we haven’t had since Big Snack.

What is frustrating to me is that Pitt has developed a QB that got drafted in the first round while PSU has not for...well....in forever.
Has there been one since Collins? Hard to believe there has not, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Tomlin/Colbert have not made many right calls. This franchise has turned into a disaster.
Such hyperbole. The franchise is hardly a disaster -- no losing seasons during Tomlin's time, made a number of playoff appearances. They haven't had high 1st round draft choices in a long time, but continue to have tough, competitive teams.

Has there been one since Collins? Hard to believe there has not, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.
Only Richardson, Hackenberg and McSorley have even been draft since 1994 and Hack was the only one that wasn't just a late pick as a project.

We drafted Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, Huey Richardson, Jamain Stephens, etc. Pickett, as worst, will likely have a 10+ year career and be Case Keenum or Ryan Fitzmagic. That alone prevents him from being one of our biggest blunders
boom and there it is Huey Richardson rears his head..........

He’s a Jersey guy who went to Pitt. I’d have a hard time supporting him if he was a PSU target and went to Pitt. That’s not the case. I’m a Steelers fan and I’m fine with it. I hope he does well.

Last edited:
Sorry to be late to reply but IMO if the team decides Pickett is the long term answer he starts the entire season if he is healthy.

Ben was successful right away because he didn’t have to win games - the 2004 team was championship ready and damn near got one.

The present team has a great defense but the offense was very poor leading to a .500 finish. Pickett will be like Ben was his first season - no one has tape on him yet and the defense can make up for some shortcomings.

At least, that’s how I feel being optimistic. :)

Sorry to be late to reply but IMO if the team decides Pickett is the long term answer he starts the entire season if he is healthy.

Ben was successful right away because he didn’t have to win games - the 2004 team was championship ready and damn near got one.

The present team has a great defense but the offense was very poor leading to a .500 finish. Pickett will be like Ben was his first season - no one has tape on him yet and the defense can make up for some shortcomings.

I think you’re onto something. The team’s makeup will be very much like the 04 Steelers with Big Ben. The defense will be good enough to win games; it will be up to the offense to score enough points and put them over the hump.

I actually think Pickett will be coming into a good situation. It should be a run-heavy offense with Naj that shouldn’t ask too much of the rookie quarterback, similar to Ben’s rookie year with the Bus and Duce setting him up for shots to Hines and Plax. I think Canada’s play actions and roll outs will benefit Pickett as well.

Definitely think there is a lot to be excited about. We went from being the league’s oldest team to one of the youngest in just a couple of years. They’ll definitely have a few bumps, but hopefully they can make some big strides in the process.

The Steelers passed on Marino for a nose tackle that flamed out in one year. How anyone can see that as a good move is … I don’t have words for that lunacy…. Marino was electric from year one…. But played on teams with no defense. If he would have been with the Steelers.. there are 3+ more Lombardi’s in the Burgh.
Rivera didn't flame out in a year - he was paralyzed in a car crash during that season while drinking and driving. Kind of sad when the supposedly Steelers passed on Marino due to his alleged cocaine use.

Rivera didn't flame out in a year - he was paralyzed in a car crash during that season while drinking and driving. Kind of sad when the supposedly Steelers passed on Marino due to his alleged cocaine use.
Yeah, I think Chuck Noll later said that in re-building the Steelers, he wanted to have a key piece be a D-lineman like Mean Joe Greene had been for the original dynasty, and then pick up a QB later. On the ESPN 30 for 30 Elway to Marino, they showed that the Steelers (from the direction of Mr. Rooney, Sr. and with some key contacts in the Pittsburgh police) had checked into Marino's background and determined that he "liked to have a good time" but was not a drug problem.

What made the choice to bypass Marino and go for Rivera even more costly was that Terry Bradshaw got hurt at the beginning of the following season and was finished for his career. No franchise QB and no D-lineman to build around either.

It would be nice if he was even half as good as Ben as a rookie. The 2004 team was hardly expected to be a champ - they were 6-10 in 2003. Vegas had them at 7.5 wins. There's never been anything like 2004 with a rookie QB before or since. Ben wasn't the starter going into the year, btw. He wasn't successful because he didn't have to win games. He was successful because there wasn't really anything like him before, and he played with confidence that most rookies don't have. He wasn't the only reason the Steelers went 15-1, but a big part of it.

1. Who cares that he went to Pitt? He's a Steeler now
2. No QB in this draft was worth a first round pick (or probably a second) but Pickett has the lowest floor. Worst case he's Ryan Fitzpatrick best case he's Derek Carr.
3. The Steelers getting Pickens and Leal on day make me less angry that they reached
4. I have no idea why anyone wanted Willis. People (including analysts) love to hype up players that played at smaller schools. Willis was not impressive in college. He probably sits for 2 years in Tennessee and then might do nothing.
5. Pickett is a lot like Trubisky so there's a lot of logic with that because they fit Canada's scheme.
I agree with most of what you write. My post was mostly TIC as far as Pickett being a Pitt guy. He was probably the lowest risk of the QBs available. I don't agree with number 4. Willis was at Auburn and transferred. Flaming out is certainly in the realm of possibility for him, but I could see him being high-level starter. He's got the talent. The question will be whether he can read defenses.

Last edited:

The offense was poor for a number of reasons, the rebuilt OL being the main one. That unit never seemed to gel, I didn't understand a couple of the moves they made last year prior to the season. Also, it definitely hurt losing Smith-Schuster so early in the season.

What made the choice to bypass Marino and go for Rivera even more costly was that Terry Bradshaw got hurt at the beginning of the following season and was finished for his career. No franchise QB and no D-lineman to build around either.

I don't know if the concept of a franchise QB carried as much weight back then as it does now. Remember the NFL was more of a run oriented league back then which was beginning to segue to the pass happy style we see now.

Yeah, I think Chuck Noll later said that in re-building the Steelers, he wanted to have a key piece be a D-lineman like Mean Joe Greene had been for the original dynasty, and then pick up a QB later. On the ESPN 30 for 30 Elway to Marino, they showed that the Steelers (from the direction of Mr. Rooney, Sr. and with some key contacts in the Pittsburgh police) had checked into Marino's background and determined that he "liked to have a good time" but was not a drug problem.

Another reason was they had drafted Mark Malone from Arizona State late in the first round a few years earlier. Malone was a very athletic 6’ 4” and even lined up some as receiver but unfortunately never really developed as the heir to Bradshaw.

Another reason was they had drafted Mark Malone from Arizona State late in the first round a few years earlier. Malone was a very athletic 6’ 4” and even lined up some as receiver but unfortunately never really developed as the heir to Bradshaw.
and try as mightily as they did Malone was not a franchise QB, nor was Cliff Stout!!! There was a real dip in the quality of the personnel there for a bit after the steel curtain days.

I agree with most of what you write. My post was mostly TIC as far as Pickett being a Pitt guy. He was probably the lowest risk of the QBs available. I don't agree with number 4. Willis was at Auburn and transferred. Flaming out is certainly in the realm of possibility for him, but I could see him being high-level starter. He's got the talent. The question will be whether he can read defenses.
I watched as much as I could find on Willis. He reminds me of a mobile Hackenberg. I've been wrong before (I liked Kyle Boller for example) but I wasn't shocked at all Willis fell. And us not knowing if Willis can read defenses is why I said what I did on 4. He could boom but bust is far more likely IMO. The ability to read defenses is something I want to see in college. Which is why I liked Burrow more than Lawrence for example.

So why did the Steelers draft yet another QB in the seventh round? Kid from S Dakota St that started a Southern Florida...then to Stamford....then to SDakota State. Coulda signed a free agent QB if they wanted an arm for practice time.

Seems they shoulda added another O line or LB or even Dback where they need the help.

So why did the Steelers draft yet another QB in the seventh round? Kid from S Dakota St that started a Southern Florida...then to Stamford....then to SDakota State. Coulda signed a free agent QB if they wanted an arm for practice time.

Seems they shoulda added another O line or LB or even Dback where they need the help.
You’re not wrong. Tomlin and Colbert said they wanted four QBs going into camp, though that didn’t mean they had to draft two to satisfy that.

With that being said, I pulled up a highlight reel of his and his pistol offense at South Dakota St consisted of play actions or rollouts on almost every play. Perhaps they think that translates well to Canada’s offense? That’s all I got.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Because Mason probably gets released so he's likely their #3 for 2022. Also, in the 7th you draft the person you want in camp the most or BPA. Maybe they were more concerned about him going elsewhere as a UDFA if he had the right to pick.

They signed Kazee which pretty much solves the S issue and they have about 10 LBs unless you're looking for an edge which I don't think is a need. And they don't think OL is an issue after this off-season. You and I may disagree with that but they don't.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT