ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I've got to root for a Pitt guy now?

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
I suppose Pickett was the most NFL-ready of the QBs. I didn't watch him much in college. I know he was good last year. He didn't really stand out in his games against us (lots of yards in 2019, but not many points), but that was a while back. From his highlight videos, he looks to be a decent scrambler and good at throwing on the run when things break down, which he'll probably need to be with our OL. I was hoping for Willis, though he's probably a bit more of a gamble. I hope Tomlin/Colbert made the right call.

Much respect to the Steelers as an organization and love Tomlin but my big concern with Pickett in the NFL is that in comparison to the other college QB's he held the ball for the 2nd longest amount of time before delivering a pass. Yes he has mobility but imo like many other rookies he's going to rely on his legs to get him out of trouble and learn quickly that he doesn't have near as much time or space to escape as he did playing in the vaunted ACC coastal. And being picked in the first the fans will want him in over Mitch at some point this year not allowing him the time for the game to slow down.

Oh well - at least he'll get to experience playing in front of fans in that stadium for the first time.

I suppose Pickett was the most NFL-ready of the QBs. I didn't watch him much in college. I know he was good last year. He didn't really stand out in his games against us (lots of yards in 2019, but not many points), but that was a while back. From his highlight videos, he looks to be a decent scrambler and good at throwing on the run when things break down, which he'll probably need to be with our OL. I was hoping for Willis, though he's probably a bit more of a gamble. I hope Tomlin/Colbert made the right call.
Pickett didn't stand out against any decent teams because in his senior year pitt didn't play any decent teams with Pickett at QB. The Steelers and their fans are going to regret this pick. When he flames out and ends up as a backup QB in the USFL, the Steelers are going to look at all the stars they could have chosen instead of Pickett. This may go down in history as the worst first round pick ever for the Steelers. Maybe 5 years from now when the Steelers are the new NFL Detroit Lions, their demise will be traced to this ridiculous draft pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: unclewill
Unless the Steelers can move to a new NFL division and play home and away with Duke, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest every year I look for Kenny Heisman to flame out and the Steelers pick another QB in the 2024 draft first round.....

Very disappointed with this pick. Most NFL prospects enter the draft after 3 or 4 years in college. Pickett had 6, I think 5 as a starter. If he had come out after his 3rd, 4th or 5th year, he would have been a low round draft pick at best. In his 6th season, he took advantage of a weak schedule and being much older and more experienced than his opponents and put together a great season. Like the draftniks are saying, he has a high floor and low ceiling, as opposed to Malik Willis who has a low floor and high ceiling. I'll probably backslide, but I think I'm swearing off the Steelers after this pick. They had to have been swayed by all the Pitt fans who were rooting for Kenny.

Very disappointed with this pick. Most NFL prospects enter the draft after 3 or 4 years in college. Pickett had 6, I think 5 as a starter. If he had come out after his 3rd, 4th or 5th year, he would have been a low round draft pick at best. In his 6th season, he took advantage of a weak schedule and being much older and more experienced than his opponents and put together a great season. Like the draftniks are saying, he has a high floor and low ceiling, as opposed to Malik Willis who has a low floor and high ceiling. I'll probably backslide, but I think I'm swearing off the Steelers after this pick. They had to have been swayed by all the Pitt fans who were rooting for Kenny.
And after all those years of attending pitt, Kenny had a Wonderlic score of a sixth grader.

What is frustrating to me is that Pitt has developed a QB that got drafted in the first round while PSU has not for...well....in forever.

You probably won’t have to root for him very long.

Reactions: lionbacker
You probably won’t have to root for him very long.
He has all the makings of a Sam Darnold in the NFL or less. Remember, the GM who made this selection is retiring after the draft, so he won't suffer the effects of this ridiculous choice. I trust Gerry DuLac who covers this team, and he said that Tomlin liked the Liberty qb best of all, so he obviously got overruled; I would've been disappointed if they had drafted him too. This team needs to build a foundation with both lines, much like PSU.

Remember, the GM who made this selection is retiring after the draft, so he won't suffer the effects of this ridiculous choice.

Everybody in the Steelers organization has input into this, it's not just Kevin Colbert making the call.

I'm a big Steelers fan but have no desire to see him succeed.

I hope he rides the bench.
I want to see him succeed. However, I just think that he has long-term backup like Chad Henne written all over him. I hope I'm wrong and he maybe develops into a Matt Ryan-caliber qb, but I doubt it.

they could have got him on day 2 likely, and gotten lineman on day 1

I have a suspicion that Baker Mayfield will be on the Steelers roster next season.

He won't be in a Browns uniform next year. He is set to make $18m next year, the final one in his initial contract. So a trade is a one-year deal unless he commits to a long term contract. That may happen. But I am being told he may just take what he can get this year and free agent out for 2023. What better place to go than Pittsburgh where he can haunt the Browns? He certainly won't have a home in Cincy or Baltimore. That all leads me to believe Pittsburgh would be a great place for him to land.

Thought one of the announcers said it best last nite. Is Pickett going to be better than Trubisky? The announcer says Pickett and Tribisky have a lot of the same traits. Very similar playing styles and same upside. I personally think Pickett is better at reading a defense than Tribisky. Just don’t see Pickett being difference maker. He’s a Baker-Mayfield kinda player.?Think he’ll do well at managing a game but he’s gonna need players around him to win games. Think the Steelers would have been better served taking a pass on Pickett.

Thought one of the announcers said it best last nite. Is Pickett going to be better than Trubisky? The announcer says Pickett and Tribisky have a lot of the same traits. Very similar playing styles and same upside. I personally think Pickett is better at reading a defense than Tribisky. Just don’t see Pickett being difference maker. He’s a Baker-Mayfield kinda player.?Think he’ll do well at managing a game but he’s gonna need players around him to win games. Think the Steelers would have been better served taking a pass on Pickett.
Trubisky was a better player in college than Pickett.

While listening to talk radio today, I heard both Ron Cook and Stan Savran say that they were not in favor of drafting a qb in the first round, and I got the feeling that Joe Starkey believes that this was a pick made simply because of where he played his college ball.

Reactions: Ski and tlbakernc
While listening to talk radio today, I heard both Ron Cook and Stan Savran say that they were not in favor of drafting a qb in the first round, and I got the feeling that Joe Starkey believes that this was a pick made simply because of where he played his college ball.
That makes it extra gross.

Reactions: psu00
Dan Rooney was haunted for years over the fact that they passed on Marino in ‘83. I know he is gone now but wonder if it didn’t play a small part in decision?

Dan Rooney was haunted for years over the fact that they passed on Marino in ‘83. I know he is gone now but wonder if it didn’t play a small part in decision?
The Steelers drafting Marino would have been a mistake. They made the right choice.

Reactions: m48tank
I’m not a Steeler fan, but I’m married to a PITT grad. Your problem will only last 3-4 years. My Pitt situation, has been going on for 13 years and counting. 🤣

Trubisky was a better player in college than Pickett.
Mason Rudolph was better than Pickett in college too. If Penn State played pitt's schedule, Clifford would have better stats than Pickett had last year and Clifford would be a first round draft pick. Pickett is totally the product of a cupcake schedule. Making Pickett a first round draft choice will go down in history as one of the biggest Steelers' blunders.

He's not gonna recognize Heinz Field with people in the seats. No more Yellow out.

Mason Rudolph was better than Pickett in college too. If Penn State played pitt's schedule, Clifford would have better stats than Pickett had last year and Clifford would be a first round draft pick. Pickett is totally the product of a cupcake schedule. Making Pickett a first round draft choice will go down in history as one of the biggest Steelers' blunders.
FWIW, I watched the Pitt vs PSU game in 2019 in person and thought Pickett was much better than Clifford at that point. Pickett avoided the rush very well by stepping up or going sideways and continued to look downfield; way more pocket awareness and poise than we see of Clifford. Scrambled at times for yardage. Pickett showed good accuracy and decent arm strength. Overall I was impressed.

This past season he had huge numbers for Pitt in 2021 with 4300+ yards and 42 touchdowns and 67% completions. The ACC was not strong overall but Pickett showed well against Clemson, which had good athletes, going for 300 yards, 2 TDs, and the win. Let's give the guy a chance.

Pickett didn't stand out against any decent teams because in his senior year pitt didn't play any decent teams with Pickett at QB. The Steelers and their fans are going to regret this pick. When he flames out and ends up as a backup QB in the USFL, the Steelers are going to look at all the stars they could have chosen instead of Pickett. This may go down in history as the worst first round pick ever for the Steelers. Maybe 5 years from now when the Steelers are the new NFL Detroit Lions, their demise will be traced to this ridiculous draft pick.
Put on the Clemson tape. They had a down year, but their defense was still excellent. He shredded them. So did Jordan Addison.

It’s only one game, I know, but you said they didn’t play anyone so there’s an example.

C’mon now, surely you guys can get behind the draft pick if Franco can? :)

Also, I will say that if the tables were turned, I’d absolutely root for Clifford. I’m a Steelers fan first, Pitt fan second. PSU produces some studs and some of my favorite Steelers (Ham, Franco) were Penn Staters.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
C’mon now, surely you guys can get behind the draft pick if Franco can? :)

Also, I will say that if the tables were turned, I’d absolutely root for Clifford. I’m a Steelers fan first, Pitt fan second. PSU produces some studs and some of my favorite Steelers (Ham, Franco) were Penn Staters.
Let’s root for Pickett to Freiermuth TDs and everyone can be happy

I hope you are wrong. But I wouldn't bet on it. Not that I'm Mel Kiper or anything, but I didn't really see any first-round QBs in this draft. I'd hoped that the 3 young QBs we had on the roster were good enough for us to decide to hold off a year or maybe take a guy like Willis or Ridder in the 2nd if available. I think if Haskins (RIP) doesn't run out of gas along an interstate we are probably looking at a different pick here.

The Steelers passed on Marino for a nose tackle that flamed out in one year. How anyone can see that as a good move is … I don’t have words for that lunacy…. Marino was electric from year one…. But played on teams with no defense. If he would have been with the Steelers.. there are 3+ more Lombardi’s in the Burgh.

The Steelers passed on Marino for a nose tackle that flamed out in one year. How anyone can see that as a good move is … I don’t have words for that lunacy…. Marino was electric from year one…. But played on teams with no defense. If he would have been with the Steelers.. there are 3+ more Lombardi’s in the Burgh.
You figure they at least make the Super Bowl in 84 since Marino’s Phins beat them in the AFC Championship… maybe they beat San Fran, maybe they don’t. He also doesn’t throw two layups to Larry Brown in Super Bowl XXX, so that’s one guaranteed ring. I also think they at least make it another time in either 94 or 97 when O’Donnell and Slash had shortcomings. It hurts to play the “what if” game but you’re likely not wrong.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
He has small hands!!! You know what that means!!!

On 93.7 today, KDKA’s Richie Walsh said that his source inside the Steelers organization told him that they ranked the qb’s as follows;
1) Pickett
2) Ridder
3) Willis

They were never taking Willis.

Everybody knows why the Steelers and many other teams passed on Marino. It didn't have anything to do with football ability.

Reactions: Ski
I hope you are wrong. But I wouldn't bet on it. Not that I'm Mel Kiper or anything, but I didn't really see any first-round QBs in this draft. I'd hoped that the 3 young QBs we had on the roster were good enough for us to decide to hold off a year or maybe take a guy like Willis or Ridder in the 2nd if available. I think if Haskins (RIP) doesn't run out of gas along an interstate we are probably looking at a different pick here.
Only 4 picks left in the second round until the Steelers get to pick. Willis and Ridder are still on the board. Maybe the Steelers will come to their senses and take Willis or Ridder and waive Pickett.

Count your blessings. You could be a life long Browns fan.

Only 4 picks left in the second round until the Steelers get to pick. Willis and Ridder are still on the board. Maybe the Steelers will come to their senses and take Willis or Ridder and waive Pickett.
Steelers wanted a receiver or an offensive lineman early guys got drafted and Pickett was next up.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT