ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It looks like the ESPN layoffs are going to be worse than originally thought (link).

I rarely watch espn these days (I cut back significantly when they dumped on Penn State in 2011), but I decided to check out the pitt-unc game last night. The announcers were dreadful. It was a close game throughout, and these guys were just blathering about nonsense most of the time. People turn on a football game expecting to hear quality analysis, and these guys were just bullshitting on and on. Awful.

Reactions: BBrown
Yes. But if I want news or political OPINIONS then I'll turn on CBS or ABC or NBC or Fox. There are outlets for everyone of us to get political and news info. Whether we lean left or right, we have news & political outlets. A far lefty can go to MSNBC, a far right winger can got to Fox. The vast majority of people always saw sports as an outlet or an escape from the news or the political BS.

ESPN took that escape away. Sports was "fantasy land", it was the "unreality". It was a place we could all go to escape from the day-to-day grind of news, work, politics..... ESPN decided to eliminate that escape and bring politics and social news into that media.
I won't argue that point with you.

But, you are not getting around this - they are not really competing with the ABC/CBS/NBC - they are competing against Facebook/Instagram/Twitter etc where opinion is considered to be fact. You want ESPN to go back to just sports with scores and highlights?- need to find a way to eliminate Social Media outlets.

I will say ESPN laying on the Veteran’s Day stuff pretty thick with the Marine Corps band and the playing of the National Anthem. Reminds me of being a kid again...thanks Dad (and all vets!).

I rarely watch espn these days (I cut back significantly when they dumped on Penn State in 2011), but I decided to check out the pitt-unc game last night. The announcers were dreadful. It was a close game throughout, and these guys were just blathering about nonsense most of the time. People turn on a football game expecting to hear quality analysis, and these guys were just bullshitting on and on. Awful.

Booger was particularly terrible last night. Didn't think Galloway was all that bad.

Reactions: BBrown and bison13
I won't argue that point with you.

But, you are not getting around this - they are not really competing with the ABC/CBS/NBC - they are competing against Facebook/Instagram/Twitter etc where opinion is considered to be fact. You want ESPN to go back to just sports with scores and highlights?- need to find a way to eliminate Social Media outlets.

Why does ESPN feel like they have to "compete" against Facebook/Instagram/Twitter. ?? I don't get that. Let those outlets express opinions. Let those outlets cover non-sense like Bruce Jenner having a sex change. Those outlets do not have sports anchors, they do not have coverage rights to NCAA, NBA, NFL....

I acknowledge that there are many millennials who use those outlets. But there are also many people who are 40+ who would rather just turn on the TV and get sports scores & highlights. And yes, I know the way of the millennials is the "way of the future". But if you are going out of business TODAY, the why worry about the future... worry abut today.

Reactions: 1 and rmem
Why does ESPN feel like they have to "compete" against Facebook/Instagram/Twitter. ?? I don't get that. Let those outlets express opinions. Let those outlets cover non-sense like Bruce Jenner having a sex change. Those outlets do not have sports anchors, they do not have coverage rights to NCAA, NBA, NFL....

I acknowledge that there are many millennials who use those outlets. But there are also many people who are 40+ who would rather just turn on the TV and get sports scores & highlights. And yes, I know the way of the millennials is the "way of the future". But if you are going out of business TODAY, the why worry about the future... worry abut today.
Correct. They don't compete against those things unless they simply want to.

ESPN is so transparent. We know you overpaid for the NBA and are propping up that league. So it's nothing but NBA highlights every day. I don't want to watch that crap. Show us some hockey... oh that's right, you don't have any skin in that game so you minimize it. Nice news, huh? Completely biased in the coverage. We cover the leagues that we make the most money on!

And then you get to the lies about Penn State, the nonsensical social commentary, and the nasty personalities like that hypocritical SportsCenter anchor from MSU that they suspended. Then you think about how their personalities walked over our carcass during the Big Ten title game last year, touting a team that wasn't even playing. Looking at the buckeye talking head and they think we don't see the bias and the bullcrap. But of couse they also have the moron from michigan so it's balanced! Meanwhile the one PSU guy they have is the epitome of class and professionalism. He'll be fired soon.

How could any rational person support this? What is there to like about ESPN?

I wonder when, at some point, that a Blackledge looks at the future and starts to pedal his wares elsewhere. I don't know what Todd's contractual situation is, but if I'm an employee of that organization, and I have value, I'm starting to explore my options. So, it just might be the case that ESPN not only sheds those that they do not want, but also loses those that they do want. And, really, it may not be all about money.

Because Twitter is already in the live streaming business. Facebook will be too. Just look at companies like Amazon, PlayStation, and Netflix - everyone is your competition; if not for content then for your time. Thinking they’re not threats is a mistake.

I only get ESPN during football season (via Sling TV) and it's getting so bad that I'm considering not even doing that next season. I just wish there was more than one choice of channel on where to watch a game. Even if their coverage is horrible (and it is) if it's the only channel that has a game and you want to see the game you have to watch their horrible coverage.

I watched some of Pitt-UNC last night. They incessantly promoted upcoming games on their networks, which at this point include ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, the ACC Network and maybe more. They constantly mix sports reporting with promoting sports events on their networks.

And can we please get rid of the constant annoying crawl on the bottom of the screen? Everybody constantly has access to all the sports news they want these days what with the Internet and phones and Ipads, etc. The only reason we're watching the game is because ESPN is the only place we can see the game. Just show us the game. Why is it we're watching Pitt-UNC football and yet on the screen we're seeing the score of the Pelicans-Mavericks NBA game? WTF?

I only get ESPN during football season (via Sling TV) and it's getting so bad that I'm considering not even doing that next season. I just wish there was more than one choice of channel on where to watch a game. Even if their coverage is horrible (and it is) if it's the only channel that has a game and you want to see the game you have to watch their horrible coverage.

I watched some of Pitt-UNC last night. They incessantly promoted upcoming games on their networks, which at this point include ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, the ACC Network and maybe more. They constantly mix sports reporting with promoting sports events on their networks.

And can we please get rid of the constant annoying crawl on the bottom of the screen? Everybody constantly has access to all the sports news they want these days what with the Internet and phones and Ipads, etc. The only reason we're watching the game is because ESPN is the only place we can see the game. Just show us the game. Why is it we're watching Pitt-UNC football and yet on the screen we're seeing the score of the Pelicans-Mavericks NBA game? WTF?

The cure for this is to have a toddler. Then, you're lucky if you're able to watch two consecutive plays in a row let alone pay attention to what anyone on TV is saying...

tumblr_muqfr5dgBC1s96utdo1_250.gif

Reactions: kgilbert78
I wonder when, at some point, that a Blackledge looks at the future and starts to pedal his wares elsewhere. I don't know what Todd's contractual situation is, but if I'm an employee of that organization, and I have value, I'm starting to explore my options. So, it just might be the case that ESPN not only sheds those that they do not want, but also loses those that they do want. And, really, it may not be all about money.

Would love to see Blackledge on The Big Ten/Fox. I wish the Big would broadcast the home schools radio talent on TV. Imagine Ham and Jones being simulcast with the proper delay to match the TV. Would probably save the Big money.

Reactions: odshowtime

I love it when that crawl constantly shows WNBA scores, as though ANYONE (including LGBTQ sports fans) cares about WNBA scores. I have been fooled more than once into thinking, "Wow, New York just beat Houston in a big upset" before realizing it was just a WNBA score.

Booger was particularly terrible last night. Didn't think Galloway was all that bad.

Agree. I've heard Booger on other shows as a panelist and thought he was ok. He was pretty bad last night.
I'm starting to like Galloway more and more. Maybe not so much in the booth, but like Booger as a studio guy.

Palmer, Booger and Galloway, are far superior to Howard and Herbstreit as analysts, in every way. Knowledge of the modern game, impartiality, candidness, and no agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT