ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is it worth paying the extra $ for an Apple iPad vs. other tablet options?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I have an iPhone, but would prefer a more work friendly tablet so I don't have to lug around my heavy Laptop on business trips. What are your suggestions?

I have an iPhone, but would prefer a more work friendly tablet so I don't have to lug around my heavy Laptop on business trips. What are your suggestions?

If you have an iPhone you might as well get the iPad to facilitiate cross-device sharing. For example, if you bookmark a page on your phone, the same bookmark will show up on your ipad.

For what it's worth. I had an iPad2 right when it came out. 2 years ago I bought a Nexus 7 and switched back to an iPad Mini 2 this past fall. I have no experience in the Surface tablets but must admit they look pretty nice, but I don't need a keyboard and that power.

The ability to continue stuff from your iPad to your iPhone seamlessly and visa versa is worth it to me. Also remember the resale value of apple products are much higher than others.

My $.2

Definitely take a look at the Surface.
I like not being tied to Apple/ITunes for the entertainment I put on my Surface.

Well, you went with Apple, so there is something to be said for sticking with them - compatibility/interoperability with your phone and the same interface.
But Steve Jobs' products are always overpriced and designed to attract the suckers.

I have an iPhone and iPad and like that I can use the iCloud to communicate between devices. Big advantage. I have both iPad and iPad mini and prefer the mini. Easier to carry around and still big enough to see.

If you use your phone for work (emails, calendar, etc) the syncing is great. Also, the learning curve will be small as you know how to use your phone. The iPad is essentially the same in terms of the interface.

I personally find Apple phones and tablets very intuitive to use. I've tried Android products and hated them. Couldn't easily figure out how to do what I wanted to get done, even with basic functions. Aside from external design, with Apple you're paying for the interface and ease of use. At least in my opinion.

I have an iphone and Surface Pro 3. Absolutely loving the surface for travel. though i have a desktop at work. I dont use tablets to surf the web on the couch but i do watch movies while traveling.

The i pad is lighter and a little smaller than the pro 3 and i would get it if you are soley going to be using it for entertainment.

The surface pro 3 is a great compormise for me between work and movies. It is really more of a very thin versatile laptop than an ipad.

By all means do not get a surface 2. Only get the new 3 or Pro 3.

Guy at work ditched hisworkstation and now uses his topped-out $$$ pro 3 with a docking station and three monitors!!

You are going to make compromises not matter what direction you end up going.

If you have an iPhone you might as well get the iPad to facilitiate cross-device sharing. For example, if you bookmark a page on your phone, the same bookmark will show up on your ipad.
If that's a very important aspect for you, you can use Chrome on your iPhone and your Android tablet. In reality, you should be using Chrome on every device you own because it's far and away the fastest browser. I personally like the removable storage option on my Galaxy Tab S tablet allowing me to put movies and television shows on microSD cards and watch them offline.

no sense in buying apps on 2 different operating systems. You have an Iphone, get an Ipad.
I love my iphone 6 and ipad mini. Yes they are overpriced, but they are also extremely easy to navigate and sync. BTW, they can also be synced with a pc or mac.

ADVERTISEMENT