ADVERTISEMENT

Harrisburgs best player, transferred from Bishop Mcdevit,Wilson High School hashas starters transfer from Berks Catholic,2 years ago Reading High won a State Title with the help of a transfer from Berks Catholic.
Public to Public ,Catholic to Public happens way more. When PIAA let Philly(district 12) in about 8 years it was all over.
Why don't we hear this BS for all other sports, private and Catholic win only about 20% that's why.

Reactions: Ceasar
Yes. When your kid busts their ass on a public school team that continues to lose in the State playoffs every year to a Catholic school that recruits better than CJF, it matters.
Public schools recruit every bit as much as private schools. And very few schools would ever win a state title whether private schools played or not, so they’re busting their ass to not win anyhow.

If the dilemma faced by the PIAA is anything similar to that in NYSPHSAA separating public schools from non-publics will be a tall order. The problem lies in the fact that the non-publics (including Catholic Schools) are member schools. As such, to provide separate leagues or playoffs can only be achieved if they can prove that the non-publics will not suffer any adverse impact (like increased travel and expense etc.) I am assuming that could be why it is being taken up by the legislature. My guess is that in any event, legislation will be tied up in law suits for many years.
Here in NY we have had some success with a major change in our transfer rule. An athlete who transfers from one school to another (grades 9-12) without a corresponding change in address of the parents (in other words moving into the district) is ineligible to compete in any sport he/she played the previous year(for a period of one year). As a result, non-publics are not enticing high school students into their programs. The rule of course does not impact student/athletes that move into private school before entering high school. Its not perfect, but it has limited the transfer/recruiting of high school athletes to private schools.
The PIAA passed a rule last spring that went into effect Aug 1, that any player transferring after 9th grade has to sit out the post season unless it is a legitimate parental move (job related, etc. ). Additionally they passed another rule and don’t quote me on the exact verbiage but it goes into effect 19-20 season. An individual school can be made to move to move up a division say from A to AA if over a period time they accumulate enough playoff wins in a particular classification.

The PIAA passed a rule last spring that went into effect Aug 1, that any player transferring after 9th grade has to sit out the post season unless it is a legitimate parental move (job related, etc. ). Additionally they passed another rule and don’t quote me on the exact verbiage but it goes into effect 19-20 season. An individual school can be made to move to move up a division say from A to AA if over a period time they accumulate enough playoff wins in a particular classification.
We have the same option of classifying non publics up after an annual review basis.

It all depends on what part of the state you are talking about, but do publics recruit, some do. But in western PA the privates recruit in basketball so much more. Look at the class A winners every year until they went to 6 classes. Always a private thats been going on since the 80's. The point should be about making the privates always play 'up' divisions where the recruiting equals out. You cant ask Mapletown with 50 boys in the HS to play in the same class as Vincentian or Nazareth Prep who can have out of state kids on their rosters. I watched my nephew play in a tournament in Youngstown and Vincentian was there recruiting, same with Quigley, Canevin, Central Catholic, etc....

Public schools recruit every bit as much as private schools. And very few schools would ever win a state title whether private schools played or not, so they’re busting their ass to not win anyhow.
Ok. So what Catholic/Charter school does your kid attend?

Ok. So what Catholic/Charter school does your kid attend?
My kid graduated from a public school not in PA, but the same schools every year won the state title there too. I went to a private school in PA and we didn’t recruit (although we were accused of it by many public school fans). And my high school has won one state championship in boys basketball in the history of the school. And like the vast majority of private schools, we were a small class A school that didn’t recruit.

You may have been, but my example of developing talent was built around the parochial schools specifically. Go back and read it. I have also made the parochial school vs high school distinction several times in this thread. Try reading before posting.

What part of PA are you talking about that most of the top players on high school teams played CYO as kids? This is not my experience. CYO produces some great players but a lot of great role players. You take away the non-CYO players, and they would not win very many titles. A lot of Catholic high school coaches have quit due to the inability to bring in players (mostly public) as junior and seniors. High school basketball for some time has become college basketball. Very little coaching going on with the teams that win titles. They simply amass the most talent (like the 6A game last year). Obviously some public school coaches do the same thing.

Harrisburgs best player, transferred from Bishop Mcdevit,Wilson High School hashas starters transfer from Berks Catholic,2 years ago Reading High won a State Title with the help of a transfer from Berks Catholic.
Public to Public ,Catholic to Public happens way more. When PIAA let Philly(district 12) in about 8 years it was all over.
Why don't we hear this BS for all other sports, private and Catholic win only about 20% that's why.

Because the money and effort isn't spent on the other sports or they would win a lot of those too. Basketball is the easiest because one or two players go a long way. Football is way more difficult but way more important to most schools.

My high school, Hickory (class of 75) just made the semifinals playing Imhotep Charter on Monday. I assume Charter is a private school. Am I correct?

Last edited:
My high school, Hickory (class of 75) just made the semifinals playing Imhotep Charter on Monday. I assume Charter is a private school. Am I correct?

Absolutey. Won the last couple of PIAA titles. Not quite as strong this year but still very good. More like an AAU team. By the way your school just beat my sons team in states. We were undefeated. You guys have a very good team. The Whitehead kid is exceptional. I think you guys might have a shot at defeating Imhotep. Unfortunately you would then most likely have to face Bonner Prendergast Catholic another powerhouse.

That's pretty logical reasoning!! Lol You are either Catholic, or just plain dumb, or maybe both.

That's pretty logical reasoning!! Lol You are either Catholic, or just plain dumb, or maybe both.
You do realize this is high school sports and they mean nothing in the big picture, right? Or are you too stupid to figure that out? Waaaah, my school can’t win a state championship because of the private schools. Yeah, every public school is state championship caliber if it wasn’t for those nasty private schools....and I’m the one that’s dumb.

You do realize this is high school sports and they mean nothing in the big picture, right? Or are you too stupid to figure that out? Waaaah, my school can’t win a state championship because of the private schools. Yeah, every public school is state championship caliber if it wasn’t for those nasty private schools....and I’m the one that’s dumb.
You still must either be Catholic, stupid or both. That is a pretty strong argument you make that every public school can't win a state title. Lol Must have taken considerable thought to figure that one out. Private vs. Public schools in sports the way it is currently set up is not fair. If you believe otherwise, you are not looking at it with an open mind.

You still must either be Catholic, stupid or both. That is a pretty strong argument you make that every public school can't win a state title. Lol Must have taken considerable thought to figure that one out. Private vs. Public schools in sports the way it is currently set up is not fair. If you believe otherwise, you are not looking at it with an open mind.
Every public school can’t win a state title, just like every D-1 college can’t win the NC. History has proven that. And you’re looking at the private vs public school thing using the minority of private schools as the base of your argument. Most private schools don’t recruit and most aren’t athletic powerhouses. Instead of changing the rules for every one, why not focus on the minority of schools that use the rules to their advantage? For every sports factory private school there’s a bunch of small private schools that can’t compete as it is because they don’t recruit and they don’t put a high value on athletics.

I see arguments on both sides of the issue. Having said that even in pro sports like the NFL and NBA they have some level of reasonable competition standards in place. The Dallas Cowboys can’t draft 7 guys in the first round to everyone elses’s 1. I do agree that public schools recruit as well although I think the new PIAA rules will help some. Having said that in many years having a 4A public school play Imhotep Charter is a joke. It’s like a junior high team going against a bunch of 11-12th graders.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I see arguments on both sides of the issue. Having said that even in pro sports like the NFL and NBA they have some level of reasonable competition standards in place. The Dallas Cowboys can’t draft 7 guys in the first round to everyone elses’s 1. I do agree that public schools recruit as well although I think the new PIAA rules will help some. Having said that in many years having a 4A public school play Imhotep Charter is a joke. It’s like a junior high team going against a bunch of 11-12th graders.
Exactly!! I was at the Imhotep-Danville boys game on Tuesday night. Danville was a very good public school team out of District 4. They had absolutely no chance whatsoever to win that game. Imhotep had 6 or 7 Division I players and all those kids are at that school to play basketball. All of the Danville kids grew up together and played together for years and had absolutely no chance because of how the system is set up. It just isn't right! Not fair at all!!

How’s that any different than a private school with 50 kids in the entire school trying to compete with a public school that’s been playing together for years? It works both ways. And in the end, it really doesn’t matter...not winning a state championship in high school doesn’t really affect the rest of your life unless you’re Al Bundy.

Exactly!! I was at the Imhotep-Danville boys game on Tuesday night. Danville was a very good public school team out of District 4. They had absolutely no chance whatsoever to win that game. Imhotep had 6 or 7 Division I players and all those kids are at that school to play basketball. All of the Danville kids grew up together and played together for years and had absolutely no chance because of how the system is set up. It just isn't right! Not fair at all!!

IMO It would generally be considered an upset for a Danville team to beat a PHL team in basketball solely due to demographics, respective population sizes, etc. You cannot ignore that stuff.

It's much more about development than it is about recruiting.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I'm not buying that one either just like the original OP. What does having a 6'9" center and a 6'7" & 6'6" forwards along with 2 athletic shooting guards have at all to do with development? You can't develop that kind of height and when they graduate in 3 years, you come up with another team that mirrors what you lost and the beat goes on. As far as I'm concerned the non-boundary schools should all be heaped together in one classification since they recruit because it doesn't really matter about the size of the school. Chris Masse from the Williamsport Sun Gazette had a great article on the subject of Boundary versus Non Boundary schools and the unlevel playing field it causes.
http://www.sungazette.com/sports/lo...vs-non-boundary-issue-one-worth-fighting-for/

Eaglesmere, I enjoyed your post about Dom Bragalone but it definitely brings the vitrol out on this board. Dom was part of the 2014 South Williamsport team that was a once in a lifetime team for our School district. They had one of the best offensive lines along with the best back we have ever had and we lost a close game in the state semi-finals to Bishop Guilfoyle, a team loaded with hand picked players from all over the state and a few from New Jersey. How that is fair is beyond me because they went on to win several state championships in a row. I'm all for change and separating the boundary schools from the non-boundary in the playoffs.

I think — and certainly hope — the ball is slowly starting to roll in the direction of separate playoffs for boundary/non-boundary schools. I’m not sure the PIAA leadership is against this move. I believe they fear the legal challenge that could bankrupt the PIAA if it attempts to stage separate playoffs without new legislation in place.
I’m from the D-10 area, where the non-publics (Erie Prep, Villa Maria, Mercyhurst Prep, Kennedy Catholic) are so brazen they barely try to disguise their recruiting.
Prep football coach needed a QB after his son graduated. Brought in two from neighboring public schools. (They apparently wanted more religious studies for their senior years.) And Prep provides the attorney each time D-10 holds a transfer hearing.
Kennedy, a dumpy little school with awful facilities in Sharon, just happened to become a landing spot for multiple international players with D-1 talent.
The Villa coach runs the Erie AAU program. He roams Erie County (and more) legally recruiting the best junior high player for his AAU squad. And these players (surprise, surprise) announce just prior to their freshman season their intention to transfer to Villa.
Separation legislation can’t come soon enough for most fans who truly enjoy scholastic sports. I don’t see how non-boundary schools would be harmed by a separate playoffs bracket as long as all schools play together in the regular season.

Eaglesmere, I enjoyed your post about Dom Bragalone but it definitely brings the vitrol out on this board. Dom was part of the 2014 South Williamsport team that was a once in a lifetime team for our School district. They had one of the best offensive lines along with the best back we have ever had and we lost a close game in the state semi-finals to Bishop Guilfoyle, a team loaded with hand picked players from all over the state and a few from New Jersey. How that is fair is beyond me because they went on to win several state championships in a row. I'm all for change and separating the boundary schools from the non-boundary in the playoffs.
Sorry but BGs kids weren’t from all over the state. Edit: I don’t disagree with the unfairness but flat out making stuff up doesn’t help the cause. I can think of one transfer on that team that didn’t grow up in the catholic school system here and there was a non football reason to transfer.

Last edited:
I think — and certainly hope — the ball is slowly starting to roll in the direction of separate playoffs for boundary/non-boundary schools. I’m not sure the PIAA leadership is against this move. I believe they fear the legal challenge that could bankrupt the PIAA if it attempts to stage separate playoffs without new legislation in place.
I’m from the D-10 area, where the non-publics (Erie Prep, Villa Maria, Mercyhurst Prep, Kennedy Catholic) are so brazen they barely try to disguise their recruiting.
Prep football coach needed a QB after his son graduated. Brought in two from neighboring public schools. (They apparently wanted more religious studies for their senior years.) And Prep provides the attorney each time D-10 holds a transfer hearing.
Kennedy, a dumpy little school with awful facilities in Sharon, just happened to become a landing spot for multiple international players with D-1 talent.
The Villa coach runs the Erie AAU program. He roams Erie County (and more) legally recruiting the best junior high player for his AAU squad. And these players (surprise, surprise) announce just prior to their freshman season their intention to transfer to Villa.
Separation legislation can’t come soon enough for most fans who truly enjoy scholastic sports. I don’t see how non-boundary schools would be harmed by a separate playoffs bracket as long as all schools play together in the regular season.
Mercyhurst Prep doesn’t recruit and Villa is all girls, so no one really cares. But if Villa does recruit, it’s a recent development because they never did it in the past, even when they were co-Ed. Cathedral Prep has always recruited, but they’re the only private school in Erie County that recruits. Definitely in the minority.

Sorry but BGs kids weren’t from all over the state. Edit: I don’t disagree with the unfairness but flat out making stuff up doesn’t help the cause. I can think of one transfer on that team that didn’t grow up in the catholic school system here and there was a non football reason to transfer.
Well I think you may be right about that particular BG team, but over the last couple of years they have brought in players. I know of at least two that aren’t even from Blair Co.

Last edited:
Great win for Pennridge tonight, an improbable run continues, knocking off LaSalle 52-47. They will face Kennedy Catholic on Saturday night in Hershey for the 6A title.

Great win for Pennridge tonight, an improbable run continues, knocking off LaSalle 52-47. They will face Kennedy Catholic on Saturday night in Hershey for the 6A title.

Kennedy Catholic beat State College by like 55 points in the play d6/10 play in game. State College wasn't great, but that game was over before it started.

My point was that Blessed Trinity came in third place in the CYO Grade School basketball tournament. Therefore they are playing CYO rules.When you play CYO you are playing for the Parish, not the school. Every grade school student in the Parish is allowed to play CYO. The fact that many of the public school students don't play CYO doesn't matter, they can play.

Checked this weekend. NO public school kids are playing local CYO. Zero.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT