ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I didn't see the Mayweather big fight lastnight. Was it close?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I read where he "edged" out the win, yet it was a unanimous decision. My real question is whether this is worth a rematch. I also read where "Paq Man" had an injured shoulder. Did this become evident in the fight?

Pretty boring fight. Manny seemed like the aggressor, the crowd was behind him, so while they roared whenever he had a big swing, he didn't hit on a lot of them. Floyd said after the fight he's going to finish up his contract with a fight in september and then be done. I can't see him passing up another $150 million payday to fight manny again though. I'm not sure there will be as much interest though, it was pretty boring since Floyd was managing the fight rather than going for a KO.

Pac was the aggressor almost the entire night. He did indeed land some good punches but to beat the champ you have to beat the champ. At the end it's based on points... much easier to play defense and say you landed more punches even though most were soft jabs that didn't affect Pac at all. The cards were a little aggressive towards FM in my opinion but still he won..

Much closer than people predicted going into the fight.

Pretty boring fight. Manny seemed like the aggressor, the crowd was behind him, so while they roared whenever he had a big swing, he didn't hit on a lot of them. Floyd said after the fight he's going to finish up his contract with a fight in september and then be done. I can't see him passing up another $150 million payday to fight manny again though. I'm not sure there will be as much interest though, it was pretty boring since Floyd was managing the fight rather than going for a KO.

Manny won about 4 rounds.

Reactions: Hotshoe
The fight wasn't close and I wouldn't pay for a rematch. It would be hard to justify a case for Pac other than the two rounds where he had a flurry or two. Unless I fell asleep I can't remember one really good shot by either guy. Same number punches thrown as FM and a lot less landed.

It wasn't a fight. It was a boring boxing match. One in which the undefeated champ was rarely the aggressor, and threw maybe 3 or 4 decent combinations. All he did was jab, then run and hide. Not the kind of boxing most fans like. Unless you're a Mayweather fan...then you say it was a clinic or a technical masterpiece. It was a clinic on how not to get hit, which I get. But when you don't actually throw punches....combinations....set the pace...then it's far from a masterpiece in my eyes.

I'm glad I didn't pay money to see this boxing match. It is still hard to see where a rematch won't be sought as there is lots of additional money to be made by lots of people!

Two old men who can't punch.
What dope thought this would be interesting?
Sugar Ray (either one) would KO both in 2 rounds.

I haven't been in to boxing for years but was watching this with a bunch of friends thanks to the hype. Regardless of the final punch count, I thought Pacquiao had the better sequences of putting Mayweather in trouble but neither really landed any haymakers the whole time.

90% of the fight was Mayweather backing up and defending and defending but unfortunately that doesn't really come across from the stat line. I'm not really saying Manny deserved to win because he wasnt' landing as much but to even hint that he was dominated would not be accurate at all imo. It was a downer from an excitement standpoint but seemed like any time Mayweather got into trouble on the ropes that Pacquiao cold do some serious damage....it just never materialized.

It was a total waste of $89.95. I knew Mayweather would run and hold but I
I figured Pacquiao would be more aggressive than he was and throw a lot more punches. It looked to me like he was there strictly to collect a paycheck. Either that or his shoulder was really hurt like he claimed after the fight either way as talented as he is Mayweathet couldn't carry Ray Leonard or Tommy Hearns jock strap.

Mayweather seemed to be dazed in the fourth after Manny put him on the ropes. Looked like he had a chance to do some damage but then he stepped back and allowed Mayweather to recover. ????????
After that it seemed Mayweather controlled the fight. Last couple rounds it was apparent to most that Manny would need a knockout to win, but he never seemed to put forth the effort required to accomplish that. Too old I guess.

Floyd is more aggressive and hits his wives harder than he hit last night. What a joke.

I read where he "edged" out the win, yet it was a unanimous decision. My real question is whether this is worth a rematch. I also read where "Paq Man" had an injured shoulder. Did this become evident in the fight?

Mayweather's strategy was to be hard to hit and throw occasional punches. For a majority of the fight, it resulted in him landing more punches than Pacquiao. Pacquiao had no answer to this strategy Mayweather was not interested in exchanging punches which was a great strategy to win the fight but it was boring. Mayweather definitely won the fight.

There was a point in the later rounds where Mayweather got aggressive for a few flurries (I think it was the 9th or 10th round) and he started landing punches. To me it looked like he could really take control of the fight at this point and do some damage to Pacquiao. However, it appeared that he then consciously pulled himself back and went right back into his conservative, boring fight plan. It was at that point it became evident to me that Mayweather was really controlling the fight. From those few flurries, it appeared that Marryweather could have really made the win a much more dominating win but I believe he worried that he may get caught with a punch. Thus, he went back his original fight plan which basically ensured that he would win a boring fight.

I am not interested in seeing a rematch.

Everyone is kinda ignoring the injury thing. Face it.. if he had serious rotator damage (and those of us who HAVE had it know how debilitating it can be -- and i boxed, so I have a pretty good idea how difficult it can be) then it stands to reason he was not going to be effective.

Word was he re-injured it in the 3rd. From my pov, it simply means it was bad already but reasonably managed with pain killers that were wearing off from not having a shot pre-fight...then he tweaked it with a punch and after that it was too painful to really do much with the right. when that is your best weapon... good luck. esp when the opponent can dance all night.

I would bet that some here have also never seen a good Nascar race that didn't include multiple crashes.
My feeling on the fight was there was one great boxer and one mediocre slugger that showed why he's had six losses.
Manny= over rated.
Floyd= As advertised.

I would bet that some here have also never seen a good Nascar race that didn't include multiple crashes.
My feeling on the fight was there was one great boxer and one mediocre slugger that showed why he's had six losses.
Manny= over rated.
Floyd= As advertised.

I agree with what you posted. If you can appreciate Mayweather's defensive boxing skills, then you will like watching this fight. However, the casual boxing fan appreciates and likes to see big punches and excitement, not defensive skills.

The best analogy I can think of is that this fight was like a 1-0 shutout in baseball where the one run was scored on a single, a stolen base, a bunt and a sacrifice fly. True baseball fans may appreciate the battles and the strategy behind a 1-0 win but casual baseball fans will call it a boring game.

Reactions: psualt
Manny= over rated.
Floyd= As advertised.
did you ever watch MP in his prime? doubtful.

I
I agree with what you posted. If you can appreciate Mayweather's defensive boxing skills, then you will like watching this fight. However, the casual boxing fan appreciates and likes to see big punches and excitement, not defensive skills.

The best analogy I can think of is that this fight was like a 1-0 shutout in baseball where the one run was scored on a single, a stolen base, a bunt and a sacrifice fly. True baseball fans may appreciate the battles and the strategy behind a 1-0 win but casual baseball fans will call it a boring game.
i appreciate what floyd does. I freaking hated getting whacked in the face and my biggest claim to fame 9in fight terms) is not having my nose broken... make 'em miss might have been my motto. i'm just pissed we didn't get to watch these guys in their prime. THAT i would have paid $100 for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT