ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hyperloop One announces ten finalists for its first project.

Pittsburgh Baltimore DC was a finalist for the Maglev too and it never amounted to anything so we shall see. That would be sweet if it came to pass though.

Amazingly, one is the route from Pittsburgh through Columbus to Chicago;

• Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh

• Dallas-Laredo-Houston

• Cheyenne-Denver-Pueblo

• Miami-Orlando

And none in California or the north east. Several are overseas.

Which one will be built? Will it work?
Amazingly, one is the route from Pittsburgh through Columbus to Chicago;

• Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh

• Dallas-Laredo-Houston

• Cheyenne-Denver-Pueblo

• Miami-Orlando

And none in California or the north east. Several are overseas.

Which one will be built? Will it work?

I think Laredo-Houston-Dallas will do wonders for immigration! Do you supposed they will get a special, expedited riding pass. Similar to Dreamers maybe we can call them Beamers. How's that for hyperbole on the hyperloop.

I think Laredo-Houston-Dallas will do wonders for immigration! Do you supposed they will get a special, expedited riding pass. Similar to Dreamers maybe we can call them Beamers. How's that for hyperbole on the hyperloop.
Well I think if you check out the actual Texas plan the Laredo leg is more Commerce Based. Commerce and Population loops are separate tubes. I didnt know that Laredo's port is possibly the largest commerce port of the US. The population legs include San Antonio as well

so I would guess before a political slant is attached to the projects, maybe we should actually see what the true benefits could be. And noting the one post above about Tax dollars, well yes but also a lot of private investment dollars, as long as it puts people to work in the respective regions, more people working and having something to do (what ever it is), is beneficial to society as a whole--by the way the more wages earned means the more taxes recovered--amazing how that works. Yes I know Texas doesnt have state tax on wages. Dallas also has the High Five so funding for that came from somewhere as it would for the Hyperloop.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Still curious what the projected fare will be?

I think this will revolutionize the intermediate travel. To fly from Columbus, to Chicago is 3+ hours door-to-door (or 5 hour drive), when you only spend 45 minutes in the air.

Hopefully this also eliminates trucks on the highway, where goods can be transported.

Last edited:
Wonder the criteria, Cheyene-Denver must be because there is nothing in between and easy to build. If it was based on potential users...Boston-NYC-Philly-Baltimore-DC is the most obvious route as the population and travel between those cities is as high as any in the country.

I guess if that were true it would be interesting to see how drones could be carrying a pod of people from Dallas to Houston. o_O

isnt that just a plane?:rolleyes:

No it's a drone, which can pick the pod up from your yard and deliver it to Dallas.

As it's point to point there is zero commute/transfer/boarding time and you are effectively there more quickly.

Planes require runways.

LdN

No it's a drone, which can pick the pod up from your yard and deliver it to Dallas.

As it's point to point there is zero commute/transfer/boarding time and you are effectively there more quickly.

Planes require runways.

LdN

Where will the TSA pat downs take place, luggage x-rayed? Where will the explosive sniffing canines be?

Would be incredible if we got the Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh route, but I'm not holding my breath.

If the costs were divided up among the actual riders, probably about elebenty thousand dollars.
As uhler pointed out, freight is a big part of the plan. So, your snark is weak, as usual.

Stick with Pitt bus memes and you will be fine.

Planes require runways.

LdN

So an individual pod for the person. Carried from Dallas to Houston 240 miles?? Isnt this just a Helicopter in disguise?? :rolleyes: so how quick/fast can the drone fly against normal air resistance much less any wind and without impact to the passenger and without colliding into other drones and planes and what type of battery size / fuel cell would be used to cover that distance?

Tesla range for its vehicles is approximate to that distance and their batteries weigh 1200lbs so you really talking moving in excess I would think at least 2000lb (Army drones are about 4500lb but designed to carry heavy payloads) through the air at an assumed 200 miles an hour to be effective.

I think you overestimate the ease and logistics. And underestimate the cost.

So an individual pod for the person. Carried from Dallas to Houston 240 miles?? Isnt this just a Helicopter in disguise?? :rolleyes: so how quick/fast can the drone fly against normal air resistance much less any wind and without impact to the passenger and without colliding into other drones and planes and what type of battery size / fuel cell would be used to cover that distance?

Tesla range for its vehicles is approximate to that distance and their batteries weigh 1200lbs so you really talking moving in excess I would think at least 2000lb (Army drones are about 4500lb but designed to carry heavy payloads) through the air at an assumed 200 miles an hour to be effective.

I think you overestimate the ease and logistics. And underestimate the cost.

You are assuming a single drone will be making the flight as opposed to a series which pick up and drop off the pod at points along the route in a relatively seamless quick process.

Think decentralized and "micro" routes. But also as the crow flies.

Also think virtually instantaneous departure when you want to leave and no required timetable and the ability to adjust your route and arrival point or destination at any time.

This goes for shipping as well. IMO there will be ships, trains and some trucks (but many fewer) and "last mile" deliveries will be automated.

And just to be clear, I'm a big fan of Tesla. I just think the hyperloop is a bad idea.

LdN

Last edited:
One major snag I see with the Pittsburgh-Chicago route is dealing with 5 different states on the route (PA, WV, OH, IN, IL). The loop would be passing through two of those states without stopping (WV and IN).

Have fun dealing with the state legislatures on that.

You are assuming a single drone will be making the flight as opposed to a series which pick up and drop off the pod at points along the route in a relatively seamless quick process.

Also think virtually instantaneous departure when you want to leave and no required timetable and the ability to adjust your route and arrival point or destination at any time.

This goes for shipping as well. IMO there will be ships, trains and some trucks (but many fewer) and "last mile" deliveries will be automated.

And just to be clear, I'm a big fan of Tesla. I just think the hyperloop is a bad idea.

LdN
I'm trying to keep an open mind but I still don't follow (sorry for being obtuse). How is this different from what a helicopter can do now (beyond not having a pilot)?

I'm trying to keep an open mind but I still don't follow (sorry for being obtuse). How is this different from what a helicopter can do now (beyond not having a pilot)?

Helicopters are extremely expensive and difficult to fly. They have a single rotor. And yes the pilot is key.

That said, probably not much different. It's just the number and cheapness of drones (8 propeller) and the fact that they are GPS controlled. They fly themselves, adjust for wind speeds etc.

Price of drones is very low.

Human carrying drone footprints are also relatively tiny. Smaller than cars in most cases.

LdN

LdN

its not the instantaneous departure that's the issue. That's a huge plus. but you are still talking how many drop points over 240 miles? you are still talking having to fly at an avg 200mph to make the trip worthwhile else you might as well hop in a car.

so flying 200mph stop drop pickup fly 200mph etc as the crow flies in order to be better than the 3 hrs it takes to drive(not realistic due to traffic buts its still 240 miles straight shot) but the gain has to be significant and cheaper than it would cost a car+gas or car+electric. If you read through Elons alpha paper on Hyperloop the real cost effectiveness comes in the use of such a high rate of speed and the safety in doing so.

I'm not discounting the drone concept but when you talk about the safety aspect they would appear to be no more safe than highway or air travel and the point of hyperloop is to also be more safe and with the "last mile" also being automated.

I would think the major safety problem they would have to to consider just like any railway is the damage to the tube itself buy any means. With rail in most cases you can divert a train in time to fix the issue, hyper loop maybe not as easy because of the speed and limited routes

its not the instantaneous departure that's the issue. That's a huge plus. but you are still talking how many drop points over 240 miles? you are still talking having to fly at an avg 200mph to make the trip worthwhile else you might as well hop in a car.

so flying 200mph stop drop pickup fly 200mph etc as the crow flies in order to be better than the 3 hrs it takes to drive(not realistic due to traffic buts its still 240 miles straight shot) but the gain has to be significant and cheaper than it would cost a car+gas or car+electric. If you read through Elons alpha paper on Hyperloop the real cost effectiveness comes in the use of such a high rate of speed and the safety in doing so.

I'm not discounting the drone concept but when you talk about the safety aspect they would appear to be no more safe than highway or air travel and the point of hyperloop is to also be more safe and with the "last mile" also being automated.

I would think the major safety problem they would have to to consider just like any railway is the damage to the tube itself buy any means. With rail in most cases you can divert a train in time to fix the issue, hyper loop maybe not as easy because of the speed and limited routes

"its not the instantaneous departure that's the issue. That's a huge plus. but you are still talking how many drop points over 240 miles? you are still talking having to fly at an avg 200mph to make the trip worthwhile else you might as well hop in a car."

You lost me here. Why do you have to travel at 200mph?

Here are your three options.

Option 1: Get picked up in your front yard and arrive in Houston in 2-3hrs at the exact location you choose (wendy's hamburgers on MLK Boulevard)

Option 2: Fight traffic Driving to the train station. Purchasing a ticket. Hoping for no delays. Getting to another train station in Houston. Then getting a taxi. It's really what we have today and noone chooses that already.

Option 3. Drive.

I do not see option 2 having an true feasibility in the future sense.

LdN

"its not the instantaneous departure that's the issue. That's a huge plus. but you are still talking how many drop points over 240 miles? you are still talking having to fly at an avg 200mph to make the trip worthwhile else you might as well hop in a car."

You lost me here. Why do you have to travel at 200mph?

Here are your three options.

Option 1: Get picked up in your front yard and arrive in Houston in 2-3hrs at the exact location you choose (wendy's hamburgers on MLK Boulevard)

Option 2: Fight traffic Driving to the train station. Purchasing a ticket. Hoping for no delays. Getting to another train station in Houston. Then getting a taxi. It's really what we have today and noone chooses that already.

Option 3. Drive.

I do not see option 2 having an true feasibility in the future sense.

LdN
---
Well you either pick up one person and take them to their destination or you have to fly around various neighborhoods picking up other people. That takes a lot more time and is inherently more dangerous. Either one would be expensive.

I
B-3164KUYAAwgve.jpg:large

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT