ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Honda CR-V

PSUTENN1

May 23, 2004
I see these cars everywhere. Like a VW Bug in the 70’s.

Tell me what you think, I’m in the market.

Do you own one?

Do you like the pre 2007 body style or the newer one?

Is the AWD feature reliable?

Are they overpriced?

I owned one the first year they came out. 1997 I believe it was. Loved it. Had almost 200K on the engine with never an issue. Only got rid of it as we needed to upgrade to a van. Can't go wrong with any Honda in my opinion.

Do you own one?

Are they overpriced?

2016 Interceptor, great machine. Don't know how they did it, but have one now "RDX" that they squeezed 30 more HP out of at 275. They are a bit pricey, AWD in most 4WD available, but really don't need it.

Have a 2017 and love it. Hits everything the wife and I need in a car.

Do you own one?

Are they overpriced?

I've owned Honda's in the past and think they are always good vehicles to consider. At this time however I will not consider any vehicle with a CVT transmission.
If you want to step up from the CRV you might consider the new Honda Passport, it fits between the Pilot and the CRV has a 6 cyl and no CVT.

I've owned Honda's in the past and think they are always good vehicles to consider. At this time however I will not consider any vehicle with a CVT transmission.
If you want to step up from the CRV you might consider the new Honda Passport, it fits between the Pilot and the CRV has a 6 cyl and no CVT.
...and your angst with CVTs?

I had a 2004 until 2016. Wife had one prior for 6 years before she moved to Honda van. I absolutely loved mine. Had almost 200k when i traded it in. Had very few problems. But obviously it didn't have what the new ones have today with safety features so I was ready for something new.

Test drove many things over many months. Ended up with a Subaru Forester. Absolutely love it. But you can't go wrong with CRV. The RAV has made improvements as well.

I agree on the CVT but the additional noise and burst of speed wasn't an issue for me. Loved the AWD. I don't believe the new ones felt like that at all. Even if CVT they appear to have worked out some of the kinks.

Have fun shopping!

For a vehicle like the CR-V, a CVT is fine.

Save your CVT angst for when you shop for a sporty weekend car.

The CR-V is a fine choice, but there is a lot of strong competition in that segment. The RAV4 is brand new and the Mazda CX-5 has a lot of fans.

143059-cars-review-mazda-cx-5-review-image1-w0jf4q9fj5.jpg

Reactions: massimoManca II

The CR-V is a fine choice, but there is a lot of strong competition in that segment. The RAV4 is brand new and the Mazda CX-5 has a lot of fans.

I've driven the new RAV4 and the CX5 with the turbo engine recently, was not that impressed with the RAV4, the CX5 was impressive.

ps... every day is a weekend day for me

Bought my daughter a 2005 2 years ago with 90,000 for less than $10,000. She uses it to go back and forth to PSU.
Been nothing been great except for a new battery. She loves it. Perfect size for her to handle. Good enough in snow.
She has an adapter to use her phone for music instead of the radio.
Even has a small card table for tailgating in the hatchback

Wife has a '16 and aside from the "old lady" perception, she loves it. I've driven it and have no issues with it other than it gets slow with 4 adults in it.

Have a 2011 CR-V, been great, no problems whatsoever. (Previously had a 2003 RAV4, also great, no problems whatsoever.)

Will probably get the equivalent Mazda in a few more years JUST to have something “new and different”.

Unusual vehicle for a single male retiree to be driving, but I like having a better view of the road, I like stepping up instead of stepping down when I get in, I like having plenty of room for the basset and plenty of room for multiple sets of golf clubs.

(Had a couple of convertibles over the years, including a Pontiac LeMan’s 400 cubic incher right after graduation from KU.)

have a 2003 and it is still going strong. 125000 miles last inspection cost less then $150

It is definitely a seller's market for the Honda CRV. I've been looking at new SUV's for a while now. You won't get much of a discount, if any, with Honda, and I doubt if you could find a leftover. I've written them off as there are SUVs just as good with much better discounted prices. As soon as the weather breaks I will test drive the Toyota, Subaru, Chevy Equinox and Nissan Rogue.

It is definitely a seller's market for the Honda CRV. I've been looking at new SUV's for a while now. You won't get much of a discount, if any, with Honda, and I doubt if you could find a leftover. I've written them off as there are SUVs just as good with much better discounted prices. As soon as the weather breaks I will test drive the Toyota, Subaru, Chevy Equinox and Nissan Rogue.

FWIW, Consumer Reports likes the Subaru Forester best, then the Mazda, and in third the Honda. But they all have their own character, and stand out from one another as far as handling, hauling, mileage, reliability, etc.

I will test drive the Toyota, Subaru, Chevy Equinox and Nissan Rogue.

I hate my Equinox. Wish I had gotten the Rogue instead.

Anyone here have any knowledge of the Toyata Prius, Honda Insight and Hyundai Ioniq? I'm looking for a hybrid in that size. Any thoughts or opinions here? Thanks.

My wife has a 2017 CRV. She hates it. She doesn't like the way it shifts. She thinks it vibrates a lot. She doesn't like the ride. She says it doesn't accelerate properly when she hits the gas. She doesn't like the heater or defroster. She doesn't like the controls for the radio or anything else.

I like it. I don't see any of the problems that she sees.

Last edited:
My wife has a 2017 CRV. He hates it. She doesn't like the way it shifts. She thinks it vibrates a lot. She doesn't like the ride. She says it doesn't accelerate properly when she hits the gas. She doesn't like the heater or defroster. She doesn't like the controls for the radio or anything else.

What she hates is the performance of the CVT transmission.

My wife has a 2017 CRV. He hates it. She doesn't like the way it shifts. She thinks it vibrates a lot. She doesn't like the ride. She says it doesn't accelerate properly when she hits the gas. She doesn't like the heater or defroster. She doesn't like the controls for the radio or anything else.

Hey, at least you don't have oil dilution problems....or maybe you do.:)

Do you own one?

Are they overpriced?

Had a 2009 for about 8 years and 190,000 miles. My stepdaughter ran it hard to and from James Madison U and during the summers in Northern VA. Held up well, minor powersteering issues with it but that it. She abused that car and it took all she gave it.

Sounded like a lawnmower.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
I hate my Equinox. Wish I had gotten the Rogue instead.

Anyone here have any knowledge of the Toyata Prius, Honda Insight and Hyundai Ioniq? I'm looking for a hybrid in that size. Any thoughts or opinions here? Thanks.

If you are okay with the styling (some hate, some love), the Prius is still the best. Toyota has mastered the affordable hybrid. All 3 Prius models are at the top of the CR list.

Big recall on Honda and Accura today. Takata airbag replacement is defective.

DETROIT (AP) — A type of Takata air bag inflator once thought to be safe has now come under scrutiny after a crash and explosion in Maryland injured the driver of a Honda minivan.

The incident forced Honda on Tuesday to recall about 1.2 million vehicles in North and Central America from the 2001 to 2016 model years that were not included in the massive string of Takata recalls for air bags that can hurl shrapnel into the passenger compartment.

Takata used ammonium nitrate to create a small explosion and inflate air bags in a collision. But the chemical can deteriorate when exposed to high temperatures and humidity and blow apart a metal canister, spewing out shrapnel. At least 23 people have been killed by the company's inflators and hundreds more injured.

The inflators in the Tuesday recall contain a moisture-absorbing chemical called a desiccant that was added to keep the ammonium nitrate stable. They were believed to be safe and were never part of the broader recall. They had even been used to replace older inflators under recalls that began in 2014.

But Honda and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that a crash on Jan. 19, 2018 involving a 2004 Honda Odyssey initiated an investigation and Tuesday's recall when investigators discovered that the driver's air bag inflator ruptured. The probe determined that inflators made at Takata's Monclova, Mexico, factory were faulty due to a manufacturing defect, Honda said. The driver suffered an arm injury.

NHTSA, the government's highway safety regulator, said in a statement Tuesday that only Honda used this particular type of Takata inflator made at the Mexican factory. At this time, the agency believes the Honda problem has been isolated and is caused by a manufacturing issue.

The recall covers certain Honda and Acura models largely in the U.S. and Canada. Included are the 2001 to 2007 and 2009 Honda Accord, the 2001 to 2005 Civic, the 2002 to 2007 and 2010 and 2011 CR-V, the 2003 to 2011 Element, the 2007 Fit, the 2002 to 2004 Odyssey, the 2003 to 2008 Pilot, and the 2006 to 2014 Ridgeline pickup. Also included are certain 2003 Acura 3.2CL cars, as well as the 2013 to 2016 ILX, the 2003 to 2006 MDX, the 2007 to 2016 RDX, the 2002 to 2003 3.2TL, the 2004 to 2006 and 2009 to 2014 TL, and the 2010 to 2013 ZDX.

NHTSA said not all vehicles that received replacement air bag inflators are affected. Some had replacement parts from other manufacturers that are safe. The agency urged owners to check for open recalls by keying in their 17-digit vehicle identification number on the NHTSA website www.nhtsa.gov/recalls .

Honda said in a statement that owners will be notified by mail in early April, but replacement parts from manufacturers other than Takata are available to begin the recall immediately. Honda is offering free loaner cars while vehicles are being repaired.

A NHTSA investigation into Takata air bag inflators remains open. Under the terms of an agreement with the agency, Takata has until the end of this year to prove that inflators with the moisture-absorbing chemical are safe or they all will have to be recalled.

The Takata recalls together are the largest series of automotive recalls in U.S. history, with as many as 70 million inflators to be recalled by the end of next year. About 100 million inflators are to be recalled worldwide.

I owned one the first year they came out. 1997 I believe it was. Loved it. Had almost 200K on the engine with never an issue. Only got rid of it as we needed to upgrade to a van. Can't go wrong with any Honda in my opinion.

The Gen1 CR-V , like the Civic upon which it is based , is (obviously) entirely different than the vehicles that currently sit in Honda showrooms and should be no barometer with

I would recommend several other makes/models before I’d have you settle on the current CR-V (and Civic, for that matter).

Honda has been complacent and fat, dumb, and happy living off people who default to their brands based soley on reputation... slowly they are realizing they’ve got some big product-issues in their current Honda and Acura line-ups

RAV4 is among the ugliest things on the market.... that CX5 on the other hand....,

Reactions: denniskembala
2014 CRV owner. While I like my car, I have never been thrilled with acceleration or turning radius. No issues with AWD. Good vehicle overall.

Do you own one?

Are they overpriced?

I own a 2018, put roof rails on (for kayak) and a tow hitch for bike carrier. Has enough power to get me around. Averaging 29+ MPG. AWD works well in snow. The only issue I have had is the electronic interface for the infotainment system acted up a few times. Overall very happy. I had compared against Cx5, Cherokee, Escape, Forrester, Sportage, and Rogue. The CRV checked more boxes than the rest.

Honda has been complacent and fat, dumb, and happy living off people who default to their brands based soley on reputation... slowly they are realizing they’ve got some big product-issues in their current Honda and Acura line-ups

This is my take on Honda as well.

If you want quality and performance without bureaucracy and high price, then you want a small company with a focus on engineering and manufacturing quality. That would be Mazda.

The larger companies tend to lose their way, especially if American. It's sad, because I'd really like to support American jobs, but I can't bring myself to pay more money for an inferior product. American companies don't want to make the types of cars I want anyway -- efficient vehicles that handle well and are fun to drive. They would prefer to profit by selling steel. In this country management and marketing are rewarded over science and engineering.

Reactions: 91Joe95

This is my take on Honda as well.

If you want quality and performance without bureaucracy and high price, then you want a small company with a focus on engineering and manufacturing quality. That would be Mazda.

The larger companies tend to lose their way, especially if American. It's sad, because I'd really like to support American jobs, but I can't bring myself to pay more money for an inferior product. American companies don't want to make the types of cars I want anyway -- efficient vehicles that handle well and are fun to drive. They would prefer to profit by selling steel. In this country management and marketing are rewarded over science and engineering.

I have researched several small and mid sized SUV’s recently.
I think of the CR-V and Nissan Rogue as Chick-mobiles. Not a “guy” SUV. My wife has a Rogue and loves it. Way too small for guys.
Honda hold their value well and the CR-V is highly rated. Very utilitarian design.
Mazda CX-5 is interesting. Fun to drive with one criticism being the nav system.
If my wife needed an SUV now, I would get her a Forrester. The 2019 is typical functional Subaru and new model with latest safety features.

We have a 2014 model and it's a great vehicle. Don't particularly like the new body style.Unfortunately/fortunately there are many on the road and there will always be at least 2 or 3 in every parking lot. I would like to get rid of ours and get something a little different.

We bought a brand new 2016 CR-V in February 2017 and have not had a single issue (*knock on wood*). We live in a very snowy/mountainous part of PA and it handles well. It gets decent gas mileage, and isn't too large for my wife to drive. Plus it was relatively inexpensive, and thus appears to be a great value.

I’m no car guru. But I just picked up a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe last month. Love it so far

My wife has a 2017 CRV. She hates it. She doesn't like the way it shifts. She thinks it vibrates a lot. She doesn't like the ride. She says it doesn't accelerate properly when she hits the gas. She doesn't like the heater or defroster. She doesn't like the controls for the radio or anything else.

Does she think you suck in the sack while you think you’re a total stud?:);)

ADVERTISEMENT