ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hazleton, Pa featured in Nat Geo article on race...

I was 7 or 8 years old when they started stripping our neighborhood , a bolder about 10 to 15 ft in diameter rolled into my friends back yard about 30 feet from her back porch. They never backfilled the area to this day.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Hazleton won't win a Governor's race so they don't care. Big cities get everything. Again, disgraceful.

Making whites feel like a besieged minority and at the least tacitly approving and taking glee in their feelings of suffering is surely a way to avoid balkanization of society. The sheer hubris and stupidity of it is staggering. Whites are having collective guilt foisted on them for what some of their ancestors did 2+ generations ago. Surely this collective guilt assigning will also produce good social results. :rolleyes:

The young girl with the Confederate flag seems to have no problem with the social consequences of her speech (if there are any), so what exactly are you lecturing about again?

No, you just heavily implied it.

Trying to assign collective racial guilt to whites has worked out so well, hasn't it? Perhaps that's why you don't see it. Although it now happens all the time among edgelords who think they're clever. More myopic stupidity.

The reason why race isn't usually mentioned when a white person commits "acts of terror" is because there is almost never a racial motivation. And the reason they aren't usually called "acts of terror" either is that there is almost never a political motivation either. The motivation in most of them is essentially nihilistic but without a connection to developed nihilist philosophy.

What you want to see is the destruction of the social fabric in the name of exerting power. Oh no I don't want that you'll say but the results speak for themselves. We've given up unifying the races, the great social cause of the middle of the 20th century, in favor of balkanization. It will not end well because balkanization never ends well but hey at least you got to snark over how some whites are discovering the negative aspects of feeling like a minority. I thought the point was to not make anyone feel like that. Guess I was wrong.

If you feel guilty, that's your problem. If you are sensitive to the subject and cannot answer or choose to ignore the questions, that is your problem also - not mine.

I don't want to see destruction of social fabric - rather I would like to see the social fabric strengthened. I am not the one lashing out or ostracizing or assigning collective racial guilt. I am asking an honest question.

The issue I see from this post, is that you believe social fabric is exclusive and only serves one group of people. I don't.

And I have no problem snarking at whites who are discovering the negative aspects of feeling like a minority. I was never interested I making the point of not making anyone feel like that - so you are actually correct.

If my posts offend or bother you - feel free to ignore me.

But I disagree with your statement that I have bolded. I have seen, and been the target (my word, but perhaps a bit too harsh) of rejection based on color, creed, ethnic origin - and it happens worse in these communities than it does in areas that are ethnically diverse.
You would have been accepted by my neighbors, friends, and co-workers. The down side , more eating and drinking then you would expect.

The other issue is companies getting a pass by voters when moving their manufacturing operations overseas. To this day people will complain about everything else save the companies that screwed them out of their jobs. Hopeful new tax incentives will motivate companies to invest in and keep jobs here instead of saving a few bucks on labor.
Agreed. And the government should force companies to spread the wealth relative to location. Not every friggin company should be able to locate in the Carolinas or Atlanta or Texas. What about the rest of the population that's struggling terribly.

s-l300.jpg

I haven't read the National Geo article.

As many of you know, I do have a great deal of interest in Rev War history, and PA history. In that vein, Hazleton interests me on multiple levels.

From the Rev War, there is the infamous Sugarloaf Massacre, which took place near Hazleton (closer to Conyngham). At one time I even considered writing a book about this event.

From PA history, you have:
- Warrior's Trail
- the Moravian missionaries from Bethlehem who set out to bury those killed in Sugarloaf Massacre, who ended liking the area so much that they built a settlement (called S. Johns) at the end of their burial task
- the Berwick Turnpike
- the abundance of hazel trees, which gave the area it's name, Hazel Swamp, which was used by Native Americans as well as settlers
- Arlo Pardee, who surveyed the area to see if a railroad could be built from the Lehigh River Canal, and showing some foresight founded the Hazleton Coal Company and basically founded the city
- the anthracite coal field that Pardee was lucky enough to buy, and which caused the town to come into existence
- the fact that the name of the city is due to a clerk's typographical error. The town was to be named Hazelton, in honor of the hazel trees, and the original name of Hazel's Swamp, but during the filing of incorporation papers a clerk switched the order of the "e" and the "l," so the town was incorporated as Hazleton, instead of Hazelton.

There's an interesting political dichotomy when it comes to immigration and immigrants; namely, Christian organizations (especially evangelicals) are very much in favor of it and are often the conduit by which many immigrants assimilate in this country. That doesn't always jive with the folks they are politically aligned with though.
Change this word to often to be more accurate.

For anyone who cares, National Geographic continues to try to beat a particular drum, facts be damned:

Tension between schools fake news?

Racial tension between Hazleton Area and Crestwood students is alleged in an Instagram post from National Geographic magazine.

The Instagram post references an article in the magazine’s April edition — devoted entirely to race — about the impact of the growing nonwhite population in the U.S. and the growing Latino population in Hazleton.

The article does not mention Crestwood.

The Instagram post shows photos of Hazleton Area football players from an October game at Crestwood and says they were nervous about “playing the ‘uppity white school’ where racial slurs had been yelled at them during basketball games.”

“I have heard nothing of the sort to me,” Hazleton Area football coach Mike Brennan said. “That’s totally news to me.”

Hazleton Area Principal Rocco Petrone, a former football coach, is mentioned in the Instagram post and the article.

He said Monday he hasn’t seen either.

“I never heard anything like that,” Petrone said referring to the Instagram post. “I’ve never heard anyone from Crestwood say anything derogatory.”

The post from Saturday had more than 150,000 “likes” by Monday afternoon. It says a cheerleading coach heard Crestwood students scream, “Get a green card.”

Hazleton Area High School’s student population is 51 percent Hispanic and 46 percent white, according to the state Department of Education. Crestwood has a white population of 92 percent.

A cutline to a photograph in the magazine says Petrone “said the team was mostly white 15 years ago.”

“I would never say that,” Petrone replied, adding the football team is “more diverse” today.

It was not a direct quote, and the cutline also says “almost half of the players are minorities.” The Instagram post contains the same information.

“Our students accept diversity and get along very well with each other,” Petrone said. “I’m proud we get along so well in extra-curricular activities and athletics.”

The Instagram post didn’t name anyone alleging racial tension between Hazleton Area and Crestwood. The article includes named sources quoted talking about race and the growing Latino population in Hazleton.

Crestwood Superintendent Joseph Gorham questioned if the magazine did any “source and fact checking” into “pretty serious claims” noted in the Instagram post. In an email, Gorham noted football season precedes basketball season and recalled talking to Hazleton Area basketball players in the hallway before their last game at Crestwood.

“They were looking for our visitor locker rooms as I was passing by,” Gorham said. “The Hazelton boys were polite, respectful and engaging. The entire group and I chatted for quite some time and we laughed together. They have a great group of kids!”

National Geographic didn’t return a phone message and email seeking comment.

Contact the writer:

mbuffer@citizensvoice.com

570-821-2073, @cvmikebuffer

National Geographic doing a little race baiting, just to spice up the article a bit. They are awful people, obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT