ADVERTISEMENT

OT Having Large Polyp Removed from Colon (Cecum) Removed in Early March -- Any Suggestions

I wanted to say this after your first post but refrained since it's such a serious issue. However, now that you're out of surgery and hopefully all is well.....<ahem>.....

Considering you're a buckeye fan, did they have any trouble pulling your head out of your ass so they could do the colonoscopy?

Just kidding! Good to see you're in recovery and seem to be in good spirits. All the best for a return to full health.

Just out got out from surgery about an hour ago. when I got out it felt like a four or five in terms of pain on a scale of 10. Right now it feels like a one or two. Unless there are complications, seems like I made the right decision. of course, I have to wait for the pathology report to see the full picture of what has occurred. But since it was only one polyp and they took out a fair amount of colon, I am not that concerned about that. One minor issue is that they have a tube going into my penis. Not that easy to pee.

This spooked me a bit. However, as I said, I'm feeling pretty good. Thanks to everyone for their help and concern.

Suck it up BIG GUY :) If I am guessing correctly...… you have an IV still in place. Attached to this IV is a "button"…. it is for pain relief (morphine). Do NOT be afraid to use that button.... it's there for a reason. I didn't use it until my cousin chewed my ass... he was right.

The catheter will come out soon. Hey I had one in for 10 days after my prostate removal last December. I was about ready to jump off of a ledge after about 5 days. By the way... it will come out very easy and you will no feel it. The thought is worse then the removal. Do not blush when the nurse removes it :) By the way, enjoy that catheter... you don't have to get out of bed to pee. Just watch re-runs of Gilligan's Island :)

My prayers are with you and I will be watching for your updates. Always feel free to reach out to talk.

Suck it up BIG GUY :) If I am guessing correctly...… you have an IV still in place. Attached to this IV is a "button"…. it is for pain relief (morphine). Do NOT be afraid to use that button.... it's there for a reason. I didn't use it until my cousin chewed my ass... he was right.

I don't want jinx myself, but I am feeling no pain now. Probably have me juiced up pretty good. When my children visited me about 1.5 hours ago, I was lisping a little -- indicating pain medication. Definetely, have no plans to be a hero. Wondering what I will feel like when the pain medication i s reduced. Still though, so far, so good.

I don't want jinx myself, but I am feeling no pain now. Probably have me juiced up pretty good. When my children visited me about 1.5 hours ago, I was lisping a little -- indicating pain medication. Definetely, have no plans to be a hero. Wondering what I will feel like when the pain medication i s reduced. Still though, so far, so good.

They sent my home on 7 days worth of oxycodoine. It was the best thing ever. I can se how people get addicted to the stuff. One tablespoon of that and all my worries went away :)

They sent my home on 7 days worth of oxycodoine. It was the best thing ever. I can se how people get addicted to the stuff. One tablespoon of that and all my worries went away :)
When I had oral surgery, I also received oxycodone. I had the same experience as you. I felt so good I wondered whether I was in pain all of the time and just didn't know it.

They told me they are not giving me narcotics because it can slow down the functioning of the digestive tract. So they are giving me Ibuprofen and Tylenol. So far I'm feeling good still. Not quite as good as yesterday, but pretty good.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I am being released from the hospital tonight. That is good news. Doc is told me that I shouldn't have a whole lot of pain when the stronger medications quit. So, so far it appears pretty good.

Some tips for those facing this surgery or something similar.

1. If offered an anesthesia pain tap take it. I received one and felt virtually no pain 20 minutes after the surgery.

2. It helps to have your legs in good shape. I was able to squat and get up and down without stressing my colon. I would imagine it would be fairly difficult if your legs weren't strong enough to get you up and down and help move you around. LATER EDIT This is particularly important when getting up after sitting down. If you can get up with your legs, it is much simpler and less delicate that trying to pull yourself up with your arms. Personally, when having any stomach area surgery, I would exercise me legs to make sure that I could easily get out of chairs without using stomach muscles.

3. My surgery was on my right side and I have had a little bit of a weird reaction in my shoulder and neck. If I move my arm in the wrong way it sort of feels like you feel when you have broken ribs and and you are lightly tapped. The doctor said that the nerve that services my colon area also services the right side of my neck and shoulder and that the surgery is causing the temporary neck and shoulder pain. And that my reaction to the surgery is quite normal. That is the first I've ever heard of anything like that.

4. Also my butt got a little bit Raw and Vaseline is helped a lot. Never would have thought of that, but it was suggested by the nurse.

Big picture is that I'm very happy that I decided to get to surgery and get this behind me. since I only had one non cancerous polyp, my surgery is undoubtedly simpler than others. however, I hope that some of my comments are useful to people reading here.

Last edited:
I am being released from the hospital tonight. That is good news. Doc is told me that I shouldn't have a whole lot of pain when the stronger medications quit. So, so far it appears pretty good.

That is great news db777! Sounds like everything is going well - so glad to hear that. rest and relax the next couple of days and don't push too hard.Give yourself the time needed to heal and keep us up to date on your progress. It has been great of you to share your experience here as i hope it alleviates the fears of some one reading enough that they don't put off similar treatment or even the colonoscopy / screening that is so crucial!

If your in the neighborhood of 50 - don't hesitate and do it. It could save your life! I had apprehensions and waited till 54 and it almost cost me mine. Research your gastro extensively - like any profession there are good and bad.
I offer the very same advice. I, too, waited until 54 to have my first checkup and, sure enough, a cancerous polyp was discovered. I was quite fortunate that I did not wait until I was 55 for that checkup. Furthermore, if there is a history of colon cancer in your family, you need to get checked well before you are 50.

That is great news db777! Sounds like everything is going well - so glad to hear that. rest and relax the next couple of days and don't push too hard.Give yourself the time needed to heal and keep us up to date on your progress. It has been great of you to share your experience here as i hope it alleviates the fears of some one reading enough that they don't put off similar treatment or even the colonoscopy / screening that is so crucial!

Glad that a fair amount of people like my posts. Was a little afraid that people would be bored or worse. Feeling 96% normal today other than realizing I have to be very gentle with myself.

I realize this is a PSU board, so it is not my place suggest anything different or radical. However, concerning the demographics of part of the board, I believe there are probably a fair amount of people that could benefit from a thread dealing with prostate cancer. There are many difficult decisions and undoubtedly many here have faced them and some have had surgery. In some ways, part of this board is a perfect to discuss prostate cancer. Just an idea on my part.

Glad to have been helpful to some people on the board.

Glad that a fair amount of people like my posts. Was a little afraid that people would be bored or worse. Feeling 96% normal today other than realizing I have to be very gentle with myself.

I realize this is a PSU board, so it is not my place suggest anything different or radical. However, concerning the demographics of part of the board, I believe there are probably a fair amount of people that could benefit from a thread dealing with prostate cancer. There are many difficult decisions and undoubtedly many here have faced them and some have had surgery. In some ways, part of this board is a perfect to discuss prostate cancer. Just an idea on my part.

Glad to have been helpful to some people on the board.

The great thing about this board is it can discuss anything- especially in the off-season.

Some of the best discussions have been non football related. There were great threads on the Arab Spring revolution in Egypt and pretty much a play by play thread the night of the Boston bombing (with a few posters who live in Boston giving real time info). A thread on prostate cancer would fit right in. ;)

Good luck with your recovery. Glad to hear the surgery went well.

Since my recovery has been so good and it may be unrealistic for others to expect a similar recovery, I am hesitant to give last update. On the other hand, maybe my very good recovery may encourage others to have colonoscopies. Essentially, I am having no pain and all of the plumbing is working. Have to be very careful not to tear re-attached cecum. Glad to have had the laparoscopic procedure. (Later edit. Was able to, according to the doctors, eat anything I wanted, about 3 hours after the surgery.)

Only small fly in the ointment is have minor problems in shoulder and neck. My suspicion is that while I was dead to the world, someone pulled on me too hard. Only painful when I move arm in wrong way. Thanks for the many kind comments.

Last edited:
Update on biopsy. The doctors found a stage 1 cancer in the middle of the polyp. It had not spread, which is very good news. Even more reason to have regularly scheduled colonoscopies. Will now have to have blood tests every 6 months, which is fine with me. My decision, and the advice of everyone here, to go the blunt, simple route and have 4 inches of my colon removed, appears to have been the correct one.

TheGlove. Seems like you have serious concerns about colon surgery. If so, and you want to contact me privately feel free to do so. I tried to figure out how to privately message you, but I could not find the way to do so.

I had zero symptoms and in fact feel great. However, I went 8-10 years without a colonoscopy. I am generally low risk -- no family history, exercise and don't drink or smoke. That is probably why my polyp is looking pretty good (tubular is a good sign) even though it is quite big.

For other readers here, I would mention that about 20-30% of the people over 50 have polyps, and that it really makes sense to have colonoscopies every 5 years. (Numbers get higher as you get older) My family doc probably saved my life by sending out a routine message about a colonoscopy, which I had ignored for several years. (If this polyp was untreated, it would have almost certainly developed into a cancer)

TG, I would strongly suggest going to youtube and looking for doctors doing or discussing procedures similar to yours. I saw an interventional radiologist at work on ytube and it helped me a lot. I wish you the very best on your upcoming procedure.

i have one every 5 years, and so far nothing along this line. some rules my GI doc tells me = eat >40 gr fiber per day, avoid a series of foods that constipate, eat Activia or similar yogurt, BM should be easy - never on toilet more than 5 min, you are not giving birth, poop should not look like a rabbit - instead a python. 3-4 BMs per day is the target.

sort of gross but the rules seem to help.

Just stumbled on an amazing Ytube video of gastrointestinal surgery. [h]ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di-3fT-3K70

Not for faint of heart. About 25:40 the doc starts pulling out the patient's intestine. Interesting to see how the docs sew and appearance of organs. Might be useful for some people here. Personally, I am still doing well although I still have to be careful.

Last edited:
Just stumbled on an amazing Ytube video of gastrointestinal surgery.

Not for faint of heart. About 25:40 the doc starts pulling out the patient's intestine. Interesting to see how the docs sew and appearance of organs. Might be useful for some people here. Personally, I am still doing well although I still have to be careful.

Good God, man, you were doing so well up to this post! Way to put me off any potential GI surgeries!

Reactions: bytir
Good God, man, you were doing so well up to this post! Way to put me off any potential GI surgeries!
Honestly, at the beginning where they show the laparoscopic technique and how comparatively non-invasive it is, and how skilled the surgeon is, it is reasonably comforting. The surgeon is comfortably zipping through this procedure, which gives you some confidence. Got to admit that watching the intestine come out is not for faint of heart.

Reactions: psu00
For those who might be interested and helped this is a follow-up. 3 days ago met with cancer survivor doc after March 4 surgery (previously found stage 1 cancer that hadn't spread.) She was very good and was actually happy that I brought a couple of studies with me. (One said that eggs were bad for both colon cancer and prostrate cancer. https://healthylivingsg.com/2017/11/27/egg-consumption-and-cancer-risk/ / Another (Yale https://www.nhregister.com/health/a...-soda-may-keep-colon-cancer-from-13090038.php) said that drinking diet colas was protective against colon cancer. [Realize only 1 study, but if true very good news for me because I drink a lot]) I have eliminated a lot of red meat and have started eating more red vegetables. This doc forcefully agreed with my decision to have 4 inches of the colon removed instead of having the polyp clipped off. Also, the doc stated that exercise and good physical conditioning prior to surgery is generally quite helpful and they are starting to recommend it pre-surgery.

Following the 6 week recovery period after the surgery (in which I was careful not to stress the wound but wasn't feeling any pain), I have had zero problems. Interesting that I ran into a dentist at my gym who is contemplating back surgery, and he is just astonished that I have had zero problems following the laparoscopic surgery.

One little example of how you have to look after yourself. The nurse gave me a blood pressure test with a high reading (systolic) of only 100. Told her I was typically in the high teens, something like 118. She ignored me. I mentioned this to the doc, she retook the pressure and her reading was 110. The 110 is plausible and very good for me, but the 100 reading seemed way out of whack, but it didn't matter to the nurse.

For those who might be interested and helped this is a follow-up. 3 days ago met with cancer survivor doc after March 4 surgery (previously found stage 1 cancer that hadn't spread.) She was very good and was actually happy that I brought a couple of studies with me. (One said that eggs were bad for both colon cancer and prostrate cancer. https://healthylivingsg.com/2017/11/27/egg-consumption-and-cancer-risk/ / Another (Yale https://www.nhregister.com/health/a...-soda-may-keep-colon-cancer-from-13090038.php) said that drinking diet colas was protective against colon cancer. [Realize only 1 study, but if true very good news for me because I drink a lot]) I have eliminated a lot of red meat and have started eating more red vegetables. This doc forcefully agreed with my decision to have 4 inches of the colon removed instead of having the polyp clipped off. Also, the doc stated that exercise and good physical conditioning prior to surgery is generally quite helpful and they are starting to recommend it pre-surgery.

Following the 6 week recovery period after the surgery (in which I was careful not to stress the wound but wasn't feeling any pain), I have had zero problems. Interesting that I ran into a dentist at my gym who is contemplating back surgery, and he is just astonished that I have had zero problems following the laparoscopic surgery.

One little example of how you have to look after yourself. The nurse gave me a blood pressure test with a high reading (systolic) of only 100. Told her I was typically in the high teens, something like 118. She ignored me. I mentioned this to the doc, she retook the pressure and her reading was 110. The 110 is plausible and very good for me, but the 100 reading seemed way out of whack, but it didn't matter to the nurse.

Very happy to hear that your surgery was successful and that you are doing well. Best wishes for continuing progress and good health.

Happy for you sir.

Good health going forward.

Glov. Where in the Rox do you live. I am in robindon.

I lived in Island Heights - Stowe Twp. back in the day sir. Very close to Ted Kwaulick's house (sp?)

Now, back in Las Vegas, since a small stint in Wyoming.

Actually, talked to a guy who went to Montour HS and graduated from their 1979 and I think I dated his wife's sister (1-time date). Never thought I meet someone, in Wyoming, from my hometown area. I graduated from Sto-Rox in 1978. St. Malachy church.

Where at in Robinson Twp. sir??

I lived in Island Heights - Stowe Twp. back in the day sir. Very close to Ted Kwaulick's house (sp?)

Now, back in Las Vegas, since a small stint in Wyoming.

Actually, talked to a guy who went to Montour HS and graduated from their 1979 and I think I dated his wife's sister (1-time date). Never thought I meet someone, in Wyoming, from my hometown area. I graduated from Sto-Rox in 1978. St. Malachy church.

Where at in Robinson Twp. sir??

Lived on William's circle when first married. Canevin class of 71. Kwalicks cousin was in my class. Now live on walnut drive off of tidball road. Three kids all went to psu. One now living in the state college area which is great for football werkends.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Lived on William's circle when first married. Canevin class of 71. Kwalicks cousin was in my class. Now live on walnut drive off of tidball road. Three kids all went to psu. One now living in the state college area which is great for football werkends.
Close to the Vith's? Johnson's? Bannon's? Minder's? Homer's? Davis's? Malezie's? Fadool's? Larson's? Rak's? Carter's? Ferrie's?? I know Tidball well. Canevin 71? You know Shanta's? Clements? Drudy's??

I haven't read all the entries so if my story is similar to past posts, please move on.
I had ulcerative colitis and cancerous polyps 30 years ago. The doctors removed all but 1/2 inch of my colon, made a j-pouch out of the end of my ilium (small intestine) and hooked me back up again. May I say in the beginning it is important to stay on top of the pain. But you have to tapper off the pain meds as you heal. Life for me has been much better since the surgery. Hope the same is true for you.

I haven't read all the entries so if my story is similar to past posts, please move on.
I had ulcerative colitis and cancerous polyps 30 years ago. The doctors removed all but 1/2 inch of my colon, made a j-pouch out of the end of my ilium (small intestine) and hooked me back up again. May I say in the beginning it is important to stay on top of the pain. But you have to tapper off the pain meds as you heal. Life for me has been much better since the surgery. Hope the same is true for you.

Very happy that you have had such a good recovery from a much worse situation than mine. (Only had 4 inches of colon removed. I had virtually no pain at all from laparoscopic surgery)

Just got results from CEA test -- very good, less than 1. Also, coincidentally, my PSA was very good. Also, less than 1. Was somewhat reluctant to have the tests because there are a good amount of false positives. Got lucky this time.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT