ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Had Alan Parsons....Eye in the sky

Music is so intriguing as it’s always sooooo very personal...

I literally effing HATE that song... in fact, that track would be among the ten I’d be forced to listen to at Guantanamo.... I can’t adequately explain why i find it so flaccid. I can acknowledge Alan Parsons is a well regarded musician and producer, he’s on my list of those I can’t connect with (i’m looking at YOU Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffet, and Kiss) ...

Alas, I admittedly dislike plenty of “good” music/excellent musicians (and indulge in plenty of crappy music) ... music is like food, and Alan Parsons’ = my Brussels sprouts sautéed with Owens-Corning pink fiberglass insulation ...

I am always intrigued by what music people keep dear, even more so than what type of car they own...

As you were! ;)

I assume you know about the below. I remember a radio station played the two songs side by side a chord at a time and it was really, really obvious that the it was ripped off as they were nearly identical. Way to close to just sound the same.

Lady Antebellum's 'Need You Now' was a crossover smash in 2010, and a multiple Grammy winner the following year, but it was also dogged by accusations that it was an obvious (and uncredited) rewrite of the Alan Parsons Project's 1982 hit 'Eye in the Sky.'

Parsons has heard those accusations, as he admitted during a recent interview with Bill Zwecker of the Chicago Sun-Times -- but he's too diplomatic to weigh on the controversy himself. Asked if he agreed with those who say 'Need You Now' borrows too heavily from 'Eye in the Sky,' he demurred, "I’ve heard people say that. No comment on that from me."

In fact, these days, Parsons is far more interested in touring than in recorded music in general; as he told Zwecker, "I seem to be doing a lot of live performing, which pays the rent, but also something I really enjoy. Frankly, it’s more rewarding in many ways than merely selling records -- instant gratification. That’s what it’s all about."

Part of the problem, he admitted, is that "We don’t live in an album world anymore. Everything is a single download. Record sales and CD sales are down significantly. Everybody’s going to Pandora and Spotify and iTunes and that’s the way people are getting music delivered now." And while that doesn't mean he's abandoned the studio -- he said he'd be working on a follow-up to Steven Wilson's 'The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)' -- he is dissatisfied with the way people are listening to his work.

Saying he's trying "to make the MP3 format go away," Parsons argued, "There are better quality formats out there. In fact, my new single, 'Fragile,' which we are just now releasing, we are offering as a less-money download than the MP3. We’re trying to set a trend with that." As he told Billboard, 'Fragile' might be the start of a new full-length effort. "It's got the makings of a new album," he mused. "We've actually got three or four candidates for an album now -- but what's an album in this download world? It's quite different now than it was in the '70s. So we're thinking about putting out a full-blown album, but for the moment we're concentrating on live stuff."

Music is so intriguing as it’s always sooooo very personal...

I literally effing HATE that song... in fact, that track would be among the ten I’d be forced to listen to at Guantanamo.... I can’t adequately explain why i find it so flaccid. I can acknowledge Alan Parsons is a well regarded musician and producer, he’s on my list of those I can’t connect with (i’m looking at YOU Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffet, and Kiss) ...

Alas, I admittedly dislike plenty of “good” music/excellent musicians (and indulge in plenty of crappy music) ... music is like food, and Alan Parsons’ = my Brussels sprouts sautéed with Owens-Corning pink fiberglass insulation ...

I am always intrigued by what music people keep dear, even more so than what type of car they own...

As you were! ;)

Please the next time you respond to something like this I think you should really tell us how you feel!! Don't beat around the bush trying to confuse us. :cool:

Please the next time you respond to something like this I think you should really tell us how you feel!! Don't beat around the bush trying to confuse us. :cool:
I actually laughed a bit with his response. Not surprising to me as I agree that musical taste is personal.

Reactions: razpsu
In my ears during my noon run today. Started out with Eye in the sky( live) then went through a bit of his catalogue. Any Parsons fans out there ?

Thus quote the raven, nevermore.

As his albums go, I think “Eve” is underappreciated.

I was helping set up for Wild Cherry at my college. When we finished they tested the sound system with I Robot. It was a revelation to me.

Two other songs, unrelated, that blew me away the first time I heard them were carry on my wayward son by Kansas and stranglehold by Ted Neugent.

Liked most of his music. He's an outstanding producer having worked on The Beatles "Let it be" and "Abbey Road" in addition to Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of the Moon". Great albums.

I assume you know about the below. I remember a radio station played the two songs side by side a chord at a time and it was really, really obvious that the it was ripped off as they were nearly identical. Way to close to just sound the same.

Lady Antebellum's 'Need You Now' was a crossover smash in 2010, and a multiple Grammy winner the following year, but it was also dogged by accusations that it was an obvious (and uncredited) rewrite of the Alan Parsons Project's 1982 hit 'Eye in the Sky.'

Parsons has heard those accusations, as he admitted during a recent interview with Bill Zwecker of the Chicago Sun-Times -- but he's too diplomatic to weigh on the controversy himself. Asked if he agreed with those who say 'Need You Now' borrows too heavily from 'Eye in the Sky,' he demurred, "I’ve heard people say that. No comment on that from me."

In fact, these days, Parsons is far more interested in touring than in recorded music in general; as he told Zwecker, "I seem to be doing a lot of live performing, which pays the rent, but also something I really enjoy. Frankly, it’s more rewarding in many ways than merely selling records -- instant gratification. That’s what it’s all about."

Part of the problem, he admitted, is that "We don’t live in an album world anymore. Everything is a single download. Record sales and CD sales are down significantly. Everybody’s going to Pandora and Spotify and iTunes and that’s the way people are getting music delivered now." And while that doesn't mean he's abandoned the studio -- he said he'd be working on a follow-up to Steven Wilson's 'The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)' -- he is dissatisfied with the way people are listening to his work.

Saying he's trying "to make the MP3 format go away," Parsons argued, "There are better quality formats out there. In fact, my new single, 'Fragile,' which we are just now releasing, we are offering as a less-money download than the MP3. We’re trying to set a trend with that." As he told Billboard, 'Fragile' might be the start of a new full-length effort. "It's got the makings of a new album," he mused. "We've actually got three or four candidates for an album now -- but what's an album in this download world? It's quite different now than it was in the '70s. So we're thinking about putting out a full-blown album, but for the moment we're concentrating on live stuff."

Much like your post was an obvious (and uncredited) repost of the original article that you ripped off.

I do like the Ammonia Avenue album.

Last edited:
Reactions: flash86
Much like your post was an obvious (and uncredited) repost of the original article that you ripped off.

I do like the Ammonia Avenue album.

no idea what you are talking about, I obviously cut and pasted that article and I am not in 7th grade history siting sources in a bibliography at the bottom of then page. You cannot mention that song without at least mentioning that it was ripped off years later so apropos to the discussion.

In my ears during my noon run today. Started out with Eye in the sky( live) then went through a bit of his catalogue. Any Parsons fans out there ?

Love Alan Parsons and also have much respect for his talents as a producer.

He then added, "My target audience is the middle aged guy out for a jog with headphones on. Now THAT guy doesn't know how to buy just a single track, but rather, will always buy the complete 'album' like he did in the 80's".

Never knew that..... Must say that Alan Parsons' version had a little more pizzazz.... lol...
Glass Prism were “the shit” way back in the day. Also local group, The Buoys, had a seminal hit with Timothy, a song about possible cannibalistic miners trapped in a mine (I think Timothy was a goat!). Song was written by Rupert Holmes, of Pina Colada song fame.

Reactions: PSUinCAfan
no idea what you are talking about, I obviously cut and pasted that article and I am not in 7th grade history siting sources in a bibliography at the bottom of then page. You cannot mention that song without at least mentioning that it was ripped off years later so apropos to the discussion.

It’s called irony. Mentioning a rip-off by ripping off. A 7th grader would probably be able to post a link to the original article.

Last edited:
Not an Alan Parsons music fan. As Manca said, music is personal. I find the music if his that I’ve heard to be way too soft for me, but then I’ll listen to Christopher Cross’ greatest hits. I don’t even understand it myself.
That said, I think we can all agree that Journey sucks.

Alan Parsons is opening up for Yes next month in an abbreviated spring tour. Yes is getting prepped for their annual Cruise to the Edge.

Saw Alan open up for Yes at Montage Mountain back in '98. Quality performances all around.

http://yesworld.com/live/

Glass Prism were “the shit” way back in the day. Also local group, The Buoys, had a seminal hit with Timothy, a song about possible cannibalistic miners trapped in a mine (I think Timothy was a goat!). Song was written by Rupert Holmes, of Pina Colada song fame.

Always heard that Timothy was a mule that pulled the coal dollies.

Just saw him last weekend in Napa. Was a good, not great, show. They finished with Sirius/Eye in the Sky. Did a show representative of the entire catalogue along with some stuff from a new CD. I would have been ecstatic if they had done the entire second side of Turn of a Friendly Card.

Reactions: djr4rebs and whart

Timothy I remember well. Where on Earth did he go?

It’s called irony. Mentioning a rip-off by ripping off. A 7th grader would probably be able to post a link to the original article.

So just to get this straight, you are chastising me because instead of providing a hyperlink to the article, I cut and pasted the article without providing a biobliography. As it was obvious that it was cut and pasted as i italicezed it and was self evident that i didnt write it myself.' Plus it is a message board so who cares.

Or are you mad that I even brought up the subject that the band and song mentioned in the original post was a point of controversy recently due to being in a lawsuit due to stealing the beat/rhythmn. As seems pretty pertinent to the post.

Or are you just a huge Lady Antebellum fan and mad that the topic came up.

Very underrated. "Breakdown" is a must hear from the late-70's. Give it a listen, especially with head phones. Early Quadrophonic technology at its best.

Reactions: flash86
So just to get this straight, you are chastising me because instead of providing a hyperlink to the article, I cut and pasted the article without providing a biobliography. As it was obvious that it was cut and pasted as i italicezed it and was self evident that i didnt write it myself.' Plus it is a message board so who cares.

You don't have to provide an accurate bibliography according to the Chicago manual of style, etc. However, it's just common decency to link to the source so that the source can get a few hits. I realize that most people abusively misuse the word irony, but pointing out Lady Antebellum's (a band that I had never heard of until the comparison clips began circulating) uncredited use of 'Eye in the Sky' with another uncredited use..... C'mon.

ADVERTISEMENT