ADVERTISEMENT

OT Guess the price of the first prescription drug made from marijuana....

Marinol has been around for quite a while and it isn’t $ 32 K a year.
It also doesn’t work for a lot of people.

A new marijuana-derived drug to treat rare forms of severe epilepsy in children will cost about $32,500 per patient, per year.

Epidiolex, the first cannabis pharmaceutical to be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, contains the active ingredient cannabidiol (CBD). It does not contain psychoactive molecule THC, which generates the high for which marijuana is best known.

In an earnings call Tuesday, GW Pharmaceuticals said about 1,200 people — primarily patients with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome and Dravet Syndrome who participated in the drug trials — currently are receiving Epidiolex.

CBD remains a Schedule 1 drug according to the federal government, which means it has no recognized medical use. Before Epidiolex can be prescribed, the FDA must reschedule CBD.

“We expect to make Epidiolex available to U.S. patients this fall, following rescheduling, which is expected to occur within 90 days of FDA approval,” said GW Pharmarceuticals’ CEO Justin Gover. “We have been building commercial inventory in recent months and are in a position to ship product into the U.S. supply chain, once rescheduling is complete.”

Many CBD preparations are commercially available on the gray market in grocery stores, vape shops, and online. The company said physicians, assured by pharmaceutical quality controls, would have “little reason to consider non-FDA approved CBD products.”

you

You can't see the article unless you pay to view that rag online. They should pay you to read that crap.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
As of now you can at least buy CBD oil in medical marijuana states. Jeff Sessions and Big Pharma will be will be trying to put a stop to that. God forbid in the Land of the Free that people would be allowed to buy medicine to help their epileptic children for less than $32,000 a year. (And yeah, I know, insurance will cover in many cases, but who pays for that insurance? All of us do)

Give me an ounce of weed, a pound of butter, a pressure cooker and some tap water and I’ll synthesize it into the base for a few dozen chocolate chip cookies that will cure all kinds of ills! I used to sell the cookies for $5 a pop, even if you didn’t have medical insurance.

Give me an ounce of weed, a pound of butter, a pressure cooker and some tap water and I’ll synthesize it into the base for a few dozen chocolate chip cookies that will cure all kinds of ills! I used to sell the cookies for $5 a pop, even if you didn’t have medical insurance.

You should have opened up a store - called it "Mary Jane's last stand".

Do you ship?

Reactions: jim cummings
I'm placing some hope in BU08028 (https://www.webmd.com/special-reports/opioids-pain/20180314/opioid-alternatives).

There are different pathways to pain, so not just one solution. The government should not be blocking or artificially restricting any solution, but it is. When government gets its nose into a personal issue it usually creates an unintended consequence that is often worse than the original problem. Then they create another "solution." Soon we have a spaghetti mess.

The purpose of government is to protect me from others (war/crime). It isn't to protect me from myself (freedom).

I'm placing some hope in BU08028 (https://www.webmd.com/special-reports/opioids-pain/20180314/opioid-alternatives).

There are different pathways to pain, so not just one solution. The government should not be blocking or artificially restricting any solution, but it is. When government gets its nose into a personal issue it usually creates an unintended consequence that is often worse than the original problem. Then they create another "solution." Soon we have a spaghetti mess.

The purpose of government is to protect me from others. It isn't to protect me from myself.
I always thought it was as you described but then I learned that they need to protect us from the “Straw Menace”. My friend just came back from vacationing in SF, CA and they have the straws locked down tight, tight. Now, if they could only prevent people from $hitting on the sidewalk or masturbating in the park!

Meanwhile, you can get an eighth at your local medical dispensary in PA for as little as $40. Not $40,000 - $40.00. Incredible!

As of now you can at least buy CBD oil in medical marijuana states. Jeff Sessions and Big Pharma will be will be trying to put a stop to that. God forbid in the Land of the Free that people would be allowed to buy medicine to help their epileptic children for less than $32,000 a year. (And yeah, I know, insurance will cover in many cases, but who pays for that insurance? All of us do)
My kids have been taking CBD oil for several years. It has caused major, beneficial changes to their moods and ability to ameliorate the sensory over stimulation they deal with as kids with severe autism. They have told us by text and letter board (think Hector Salamanca telling Hank to eff off in Breaking Bad) that it clears up the static in their heads so they don’t have to counteract it in other ways like endlessly spinning toys, etc.

That is good enough feedback for me. I don’t care what the FDA, Congress, the State of Texas, etc think. We were probably dispensing it illegally for years, but the laws are slowly changing. They’d be changed already absent lobbying by monied interests to keep the ridiculous status quo. If anyone wanted to go after me, I’d be ready with a major pr barrage in response by getting in front of every camera I could.

My kids have been taking CBD oil for several years. It has caused major, beneficial changes to their moods and ability to ameliorate the sensory over stimulation they deal with as kids with severe autism. They have told us by text and letter board (think Hector Salamanca telling Hank to eff off in Breaking Bad) that it clears up the static in their heads so they don’t have to counteract it in other ways like endlessly spinning toys, etc.

That is good enough feedback for me. I don’t care what the FDA, Congress, the State of Texas, etc think. We were probably dispensing it illegally for years, but the laws are slowly changing. They’d be changed already absent lobbying by monied interests to keep the ridiculous status quo. If anyone wanted to go after me, I’d be ready with a major pr barrage in response by getting in front of every camera I could.
I feel for you and for all of the other parents out there who are forced into a position to potentially risk their own freedom in order to help their kids. It doesn’t need to be this way, and I hope for your sake your state and the feds are able to move in the right direction soon.

$32,000 a year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busine...-gw-pharmaceuticals-sativex-cbd-20180809.html

So now you get an idea of how much money is at stake in keeping cannabis a banned substance and letting Big Pharma control it. As always we can trust Congress to do the right thing -- to line their own pockets at the expense of all of us.
“The company said physicians, assured by pharmaceutical quality controls, would have "little reason to consider non-FDA approved CBD products."

LOL - it’s simple chemistry and simple QC. What a scam

There are a lot of products preparing to come out in the near future, what near is I can not say. I know you can go to CO and pick up MJ as my cousin who lives in Lubbock asked me to come out for a trip up to get me a supply for my maladies. I declined but my pain mgt. doctor is all over MJ and when it is legal here she will prescribe it. It's available online from various places but I'm suspicious when you have to provide money orders as the only payment source.

MJ Is coming no matter what Jeffy Sessions (take an aspirin and tough it out) wants to think. States are coming on board one by one. States rights are the foundation of our republic. I'm looking forward to it as are many in my condition since the opiates are being taken away from us after decades of successful, legal use by an uncaring, uneducated, uninformed govt. bureaucrat sitting in D.C. Suicides are contemplated but the hope of MJ is the one shining light out there other than turning to street drugs which is the opposite outcome of the federal do-gooders who are stripping our pain control products, legally prescribed products and pushing us to the street.

My thoughts are with you. I would risk prison to help treat my kids' illness.

There are about 120 countries out there where you wouldn't be guilty of a federal crime for helping your kids. Where a simple medication derived from a plant that anybody can grow wouldn't cost $32,000 a year. Where the government would buy that medicine for a reasonable price and provide it through local pharmacies. Unfortunately we don't live in one of these countries. We live in the Land of the Free.

My kids have been taking CBD oil for several years. It has caused major, beneficial changes to their moods and ability to ameliorate the sensory over stimulation they deal with as kids with severe autism.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and 81b&w
The company said physicians, assured by pharmaceutical quality controls, would have "little reason to consider non-FDA approved CBD products."

LOL - it’s simple chemistry and simple QC. What a scam

Seems like the same reason we shouldn't be buying Canadian pharms. My god, you never know what you might get, when it is the same pills sold in the US.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
My thoughts are with you. I would risk prison to help treat my kids' illness.

There are about 120 countries out there where you wouldn't be guilty of a federal crime for helping your kids. Where a simple medication derived from a plant that anybody can grow wouldn't cost $32,000 a year. Where the government would buy that medicine for a reasonable price and provide it through local pharmacies. Unfortunately we don't live in one of these countries. We live in the Land of the Free.

To be fair a lot of these countries piggy back on our FDA approvals which drives up the cost of US drugs. They also negotiate price with the drug companies knowing full well the drug companies are going to recoup their development cost on US patients.

To be fair a lot of these countries piggy back on our FDA approvals which drives up the cost of US drugs. They also negotiate price with the drug companies knowing full well the drug companies are going to recoup their development cost on US patients.

Yup, that is the system because that is how the drug companies want it. Americans are the suckers because we no longer really have a democracy. We have an oligarchy -- a government which serves the few.

And fwiw, it's completely false that the US develops all the drugs for the world. A lot of the world's best pharma research comes out of Europe, Israel, Japan and increasingly China. The one thing the United States does produce better than anybody else is drug company billionaires.

Last edited:
i'd just be happy to have a quallude for old times sake
Those were, indeed, simpler times....
RORER-714-Quaalude-Shirt-Size-SM-MD-LG-_57.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT