ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gratuitous Non-Wrestling (Olympic?) Sports Thread

Dogwelder

Aug 1, 2013
Don't mean to dig up an older thread but felt this one [“Olympics News”] was more pertinent to discuss other sports than Wrestling in.

I saw some comments about the Men's Marathon starting shortly on USA Network. It's gonna be hot as hell, with some guys probably dropping. The training for this must be like wearing garbage bag suits in the indoor swimming pools (kinda similar to how I tried to cut weight for wrestling back in the day).

Hoping that we can somehow pull out more Golds than China when the games are all over. We're down by 2 currently. Hopefully Women's Basketball, Volleyball and Boxing will net us some.
In case it helps, I’m starting this new thread for posts primarily discussing sports (e.g., Marathon) that are not wrestling.

They ran the men's marathon in 80 degree heat, which is just brutal. Rupp went stride for stride with the eventual winner until about 12k, when he dropped off. Shortly after Rupp dropped off Kipchoge dropped the rest of the lead pack like a bad habit and left them in a pile of dust. Kipchoge ran 2:08:38, an unreal time in those conditions. Back to back wins for Kiochoge.

Kipchoge is also the only person to have run a sub-2 hour marathon, but it's not officially recognized, because there were a bunch of accommodations made for him. I.e. they had a chase car shining a Lazer on the road at the exact sub-2 pace, changed out pacers frequently, and the pacers were running in a wind-blocking formation. Still pretty cool.

I think I'm gonna take up knitting.

The US is currently tied with China at 38 Gold Medals. There are 2 boxers going for gold ( Underdogs both ) and the US women's volleyball team going for gold against undefeated Brazil. So there is a chance (3X) to surpass them. Go USA .......Make it So.....:)

USA Women's Volleyball team STUNS Brazil 3-0 to win the FIRST EVER women's Gold Medal in Volleyball. GO USA!!!!! USA leads China in Gold Medals. The first USA boxer lost in the finals to claim silver. China's boxer also lost in the finals so ...with one match to go....USA clinches FIRST in Number of Gold Medals as well as TOTAL Medals. USA. USA

Last edited:
I like adding perspective to these marathoners.

Kipchoge's 2:08:38 breaks down to a pace of 4:57 per mile. Still hard to picture, right?

Go down to your local HS track, and run one lap in 1 minute, 14.4 seconds. Got it? Okay, now do it 105 more times. (Roughly, because miles and meters.)

For those who've never timed themselves in a 400 meter, you can just run 100 meters in 18.6 seconds. I suspect that at least a few of us could do that once. Now, do it 422 times, back to back to back.

By the way, if you're going to try the 100, please stretch. I don't want to be blamed for any pulled hamstrings.

I like adding perspective to these marathoners.

Kipchoge's 2:08:38 breaks down to a pace of 4:57 per mile. Still hard to picture, right?

Go down to your local HS track, and run one lap in 1 minute, 14.4 seconds. Got it? Okay, now do it 105 more times. (Roughly, because miles and meters.)

For those who've never timed themselves in a 400 meter, you can just run 100 meters in 18.6 seconds. I suspect that at least a few of us could do that once. Now, do it 422 times, back to back to back.

By the way, if you're going to try the 100, please stretch. I don't want to be blamed for any pulled hamstrings.
I was thinking the same thing watching that race. Unbelievable to run 26 miles at an average of under 5 minutes per mile. Kipchoge is not human!

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
I was thinking the same thing watching that race. Unbelievable to run 26 miles at an average of under 5 minutes per mile. Kipchoge is not human!
A half dozen years or so ago, a running association organized an 8K race in our neighboring town, with a little prize money attached (about a $1,000 for the winner). The registered field included 2 Kenyan runners, and since I had never seen Kenyan runners in person, I made it a point to attend. I was not disappointed; the grace and pure athleticism in motion was very impressionable.

USA Women's Volleyball team STUNS Brazil 3-0 to win the FIRST EVER women's Gold Medal in Volleyball. GO USA!!!!! USA leads China in Gold Medals. The first USA boxer lost in the finals to claim silver. China's boxer also lost in the finals so ...with one match to go....USA clinches FIRST in Number of Gold Medals as well as TOTAL Medals. USA. USA
LOL MORE LIKE A GOOD ASSKICKING!!

A half dozen years or so ago, a running association organized an 8K race in our neighboring town, with a little prize money attached (about a $1,000 for the winner). The registered field included 2 Kenyan runners, and since I had never seen Kenyan runners in person, I made it a point to attend. I was not disappointed; the grace and pure athleticism in motion was very impressionable.
Living with gazelles and running from lions.

Reactions: 4theglory54
ADVERTISEMENT