ADVERTISEMENT

OT: GOT spoiler (sort of)...

CF LION

May 29, 2001
The GOT premiere in Hollywood was this weekend. A friend of mine who does some work with HBO was invited and met the cast, etc. I asked him if Kit Harrington made the opening credits, and he told me " He's in the first episode, but is he dead or alive? You will have to wait two weeks to find out".

OK, not much of a spoiler, but that's all I could get out of him.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I know that Midnighter will jump in and tell me that it's been said XXXX many times that Jon Snow is dead, but I really with that weren't the case... To me, that really eliminates a good chunk of the story.

A good friend's mom is an Exec for HBO and to paraphrase, we know nothing

There is a trailer of Jon Snow laying dead with Davos and Ghost about to fight the Knights Watch. Maybe that's what he meant?

There are more spoilers (to those who aren't caught up on the show and/or haven't read the books) below so fair warning...

So this is obviously very speculative, but here's my opinion:

Jon is "dead" but is resurrected by the Red Priestess.

Obviously, I'm not the only one who thinks this, but having read the books as well, here is why I think this and it goes beyond "OMG, they can't kill Jon, L+R=J!!!!"

It think it is important when comparing the show to the books to think about what they include in the show vs what they leave out (especially given that GRRM is involved with the show). They leave A LOT out and you have to assume the stuff that gets left out is superfluous to the overall story arcs.

They made a pretty big deal in Season 3 (I think) about Thoros' ability to bring Beric back from the dead (as part of the Brotherhood without Banners story line). At the time I thought maybe this was related to Cat Stark, but obviously they've ignored that sub-plot completely. I don't think they harp on that topic unless it's important for some reason. Combine this with Melissandre conspicuously arriving at Castle Black right before Jon gets stabbed...too much points to this one thing (resurrection).

The other reason this is important as a plot device is that once Jon is dead, he's not a member of the Night's Watch anymore, which frees him up to fight the White Walkers (or join up with Dany, or whatever).

Anyway, looking forward to this season.

I know that Midnighter will jump in and tell me that it's been said XXXX many times that Jon Snow is dead, but I really with that weren't the case... To me, that really eliminates a good chunk of the story.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

One of the more popular fan theories about Jon Snow is that he is not Ned Stark's bastard, but rather the son of Ned's sister Lyanna and Rhaegar Targaryen (which would make Jon - you guessed it, a person born of 'fire and ice' - and Danaerys's nephew). Ned concocted the 'bastard' story to protect Jon. My guess is this (based on this theory and what I've seen in trailers): The Night's Watch will want to do something with Jon's body; desecrate it, or whatever. We've seen in the trailers this year a scene where Davos, Ghost, and Jon supporters are guarding his body in a room. My guess is those guys will want to burn Jon's body so he can't be turned into a White Walker. Melisandre is at the camp and I think she is doubting everything she ever believed about the Lord of LIght. Davos and his team will prevail and go to light Jon's body on fire, at which point it will not burn (due to him having 'dragon's blood' in his veins - like Danerys). When Melisandre sees this, her faith will be restored and she will bring him back to life - not as Jon Snow (he's dead!), but as Jon Stark/Targaryen.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

One of the more popular fan theories about Jon Snow is that he is not Ned Stark's bastard, but rather the son of Ned's sister Lyanna and Rhaegar Targaryen (which would make Jon - you guessed it, a person born of 'fire and ice' - and Danaerys's nephew). Ned concocted the 'bastard' story to protect Jon. My guess is this (based on this theory and what I've seen in trailers): The Night's Watch will want to do something with Jon's body; desecrate it, or whatever. We've seen in the trailers this year a scene where Davos, Ghost, and Jon supporters are guarding his body in a room. My guess is those guys will want to burn Jon's body so he can't be turned into a White Walker. Melisandre is at the camp and I think she is doubting everything she ever believed about the Lord of LIght. Davos and his team will prevail and go to light Jon's body on fire, at which point it will not burn (due to him having 'dragon's blood' in his veins - like Danerys). When Melisandre sees this, her faith will be restored and she will bring him back to life - not as Jon Snow (he's dead!), but as Jon Stark/Targaryen.

This. I want to see this. ^^

The GOT premiere in Hollywood was this weekend. A friend of mine who does some work with HBO was invited and met the cast, etc. I asked him if Kit Harrington made the opening credits, and he told me " He's in the first episode, but is he dead or alive? You will have to wait two weeks to find out".

OK, not much of a spoiler, but that's all I could get out of him.
Pretty obvious, he was dead, then he has risen indeed. The boy had to be killed to become a man. A snow into a stark.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

What about when he burnt his hand in season 1(2?) protecting Lord Commander Mormont from those 2 white walker night's watch? I thought was specifically in there as a sign he can burn. Although, I hope you're right also.

What about when he burnt his hand in season 1(2?) protecting Lord Commander Mormont from those 2 white walker night's watch? I thought was specifically in there as a sign he can burn. Although, I hope you're right also.

Right - he burned his hand grabbing a hot lantern from Mormont. But, that doesn't mean he isn't a Targaryen - we all saw Viserys get burnt (and he was definitely a Targaryen), and Dany has even been burned by her dragons (not sure if in the show, but in the books definitely). In fact, there have been many Targaryen's who have died from fire or heat (there is a list of them somewhere), so that doesn't preclude Jon from being a Targaryen. The show has made a point of drawing attention to it with Dany though on two occasions - the first is when Dany gets buck nekkid for her hot bath and doesn't flinch, and the second when she walks on Drogon's funeral pyre (which GRRM said was a 'one off' event). For dramatic effect, they could have the scene I predict or just have Jon resurrected via whatever process Melisandre and/or Thoros of Myr use.

Right - he burned his hand grabbing a hot lantern from Mormont. But, that doesn't mean he isn't a Targaryen - we all saw Viserys get burnt (and he was definitely a Targaryen), and Dany has even been burned by her dragons (not sure if in the show, but in the books definitely). In fact, there have been many Targaryen's who have died from fire or heat (there is a list of them somewhere), so that doesn't preclude Jon from being a Targaryen. The show has made a point of drawing attention to it with Dany though on two occasions - the first is when Dany gets buck nekkid for her hot bath and doesn't flinch, and the second when she walks on Drogon's funeral pyre (which GRRM said was a 'one off' event). For dramatic effect, they could have the scene I predict or just have Jon resurrected via whatever process Melisandre and/or Thoros of Myr use.
Yea, I believe Targaryen's who die by fire are not really dragons (but are real Targaryens), I'm pretty sure Dani calls Viserys a false dragon right after he dies. I would think it would be more like Berics resurrection but dramatic effect certainly could be used, just not sure it would make sense. In the book I think right before Dani and Drogon fly out of the arena she is hit with dragon fire and she is not harmed by it.

Yea, I believe Targaryen's who die by fire are not really dragons (but are real Targaryens), I'm pretty sure Dani calls Viserys a false dragon right after he dies. I would think it would be more like Berics resurrection but dramatic effect certainly could be used, just not sure it would make sense. In the book I think right before Dani and Drogon fly out of the arena she is hit with dragon fire and she is not harmed by it.

Yeah - I don't know what the rules are exactly but it seems like there are 'two kinds' of Targaryens. The other key player here though is Melisandre - I think she's looking for redemption after the disaster that was Stannis's battle with House Bolton. I think something surrounding Jon will spark that in her. Does she have some kind of intuition when it comes to King's Blood? I mean, if Jon is a Targaryen, her knowing he has 'King's Blood' would be another kind of cool, dramatic way to reveal his true identity. And Now that I'm thinking about it - Melisandre and Jon have met before....in the show, they have these two conversations:

In the book, they have this exchange, which is even more enlightening....

Melisandre: "This (the Wall) is my place as it is yours, and soon enough you may have grave need of me. Do not refuse my friendship, Jon. I have seen you in the storm, hard-pressed, with enemies on every side. You have so many enemies. Shall I tell you their names?"
Jon: "I know their names"
Melisandre: "Do not be so certain. It is not foes who curse you to your face that you must fear, but those who smile when you are looking and sharpen their knives when you turn your back. You would do well to keep your wolf close beside you. Ice, I see, and daggers in the dark. Blood frozen red and hard, and naked steel. It was very cold.
Jon: "It is always cold on the Wall."
Melisandre: "You think so?"
Jon: "I know so, my lady."
Melisandre: "Then you know nothing, Jon Snow"

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the camp that Snow does in fact die but due to protection of his cohorts the body is in tact. He is brought back to life by the red witch but of course he has lost apart of him just like the others. He is no longer bound to the watch and he will go on his journeys that will eventually lead him to marry Dany (oh my I hope we see more of her this season like the first season) and eventually they will rule and live happily ever after. I know, they may end up being related. In Throne world so what! That trailer was the bomb. I simply cannot wait!!!!

I am in the camp that Snow does in fact die but due to protection of his cohorts the body is in tact. He is brought back to life by the red witch but of course he has lost apart of him just like the others. He is no longer bound to the watch and he will go on his journeys that will eventually lead him to marry Dany (oh my I hope we see more of her this season like the first season) and eventually they will rule and live happily ever after. I know, they may end up being related. In Throne world so what! That trailer was the bomb. I simply cannot wait!!!!

Well, the first episode of Season 6 is entitled 'The Red Lady'.....honestly, I'd marry Melisandre. She's tops on this show IMO.

aa38a5d62259b9bc52996d9ded59629c.jpg

REzOh8X.gif

ADVERTISEMENT