ADVERTISEMENT

OT General basketball complaint

danvillenit

Jan 22, 2012
I really don't enjoy how some good games turn into free throw contests. Depending on the score a team might foul every ten seconds for the last two minutes. Football has timeouts, but at least there is a limit of three. Hockey actually picks up the pace at the end of a close game.

Don't have a solution but don't enjoy it.

And some people complain that baseball is slow!

Just watch the last "minutes" of a basketball game, particularly a close one.

Cut Length Of Timeouts / Require Immediate Sub When Someone Fouls Out!

I also don't like the losing teams getting away with "intentional" fouls in the last minute or two. I'd give two foul shots AND the ball for the third foul and all subsequent fouls in the closing minute.

But the biggest problem is the time of the timeouts. Have the officials place the ball on the ground where it's to be inbounded 45 seconds or 60 seconds after the timeout is granted and start the 5 second count to get the ball in bounds.....THAT will get BOTH teams back on the floor post haste!

It's awful - I timed the last 3:30 of a college game at 37 minutes once

I did it just for the hell of it after the BTN kept cutting into PSU wrestling late.

WAY too many timeouts allowing control freak coaches to act like even worse control freaks. Let the players decide the game and cut timeouts in at least half.

Also the intentional fouls that aren't considered intentional even though everyone knows it's coming.

The worst was Rollie Massimino. His team would be down 15 with 20 seconds to go and he'd be fouling and calling TOs.

Two suggestions...

Shoot the free throws at the nearest basket instead of walking the length of the court.
Cut the length of the games to 36 minutes.

a better solution...

under 1 minute to play, a foul results in 2 shots and the ball; none of this 1+1 or double bonus, then inbound and an immediate foul and do it all over again crap...

At one time in the NBA

after a certain number of fouls, it was three to make two.

MeTV?

3dgrin.r191677.gif

I found the NBA rule.

After 6th team defensive foul, 3 to make 2 and 2 to make 1 on all shooting fouls, 3 to make 2 on backcourt fouls, and 2 FT on non-shooting

the shot clock

I think the biggest issue is the length of the shot clock. Cutting it to 30 would create a few more possessions and if the game is close, a few less seconds before teams have to start the fouling. Maybe even a 25 second shot clock...

They definitely did that in the ABA. Did it migrate to the NBA, as well?

The ABA was actually a lot of fun. Not many people probably remember that Dr. J actually started in the ABA, after (I think) his sophomore year in college, which was verboten back then.

IIRC, each team gets five TO's each half, and there are four "media" TO's.

So, if both teams take their full allotment, there are ten team TO's and four automatics. That's a total of 14, or one every 1 1/2 minutes of play if they're spread uniformly over a half. Any way you look at it, it's excessive IMO.

Re: I'm ready for baseball.

Originally posted by WDLion:
Greatest game on earth.
I hadn't noticed. Too slow.

As for college basketball, get rid of the alternate possession. Jump it up like the NBA.

Baseball is supposed to be slow.

What's the rush? Why is everybody in a hurry?

Huh. I had no idea.

Pittsburgh never had an NBA team, so I was out of the loop.

Oh well. I think pro basketball is stupid anyhow.

Re: IIRC, each team gets five TO's each half, and there are four "media" TO's.

Teams get 5 for the game not a half. They have one of the timeouts that they must use in the first half or they lose it, thus they get 4 max in the 2nd half. This is another rule that should change. 4 max per game with all the media TO's.

they ruined college basketball 15 or 20 years ago when they started with the media timeouts every 4 minutes plus each team having 5 timeouts. The game just drags on and on and on and on and on and on.

I think I've developed A.D.D. from all the commercial breaks on tv.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT