ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gas hot water tank shut-off and drain question

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Greetings all. Normally, if I'm going to be away from home for more than a few days, I'll shut off the water to the house at the main valve and set the gas water heater on vacation mode.

One time I came home and did discover an old copper pipe starting to leak and replaced it. That reinforced my shutting off the water to the house since.

But at what length of time away from home should one shut off the gas to the tank and drain the hot water tank?
Thank you in advance.

Greetings all. Normally, if I'm going to be away from home for more than a few days, I'll shut off the water to the house at the main valve and set the gas water heater on vacation mode.

One time I came home and did discover an old copper pipe starting to leak and replaced it. That reinforced my shutting off the water to the house since.

But at what length of time away from home should one shut off the gas to the tank and drain the hot water tank?
Thank you in advance.

If you're shutting off the water you should shut off the gas to the water tank. There's no harm in draining it, but you might get a minimal benefit by draining and removing a little sediment. Really, unless you have pipes that you think could leak (which you should replace anyways), the biggest problem is freezing weather.

Reactions: BW Lion
If I shut-off the water to the house, I also shut-off the gas to the water heaters. No need to drain them.

Why would you shut off the water to the house? Pressurizing the lines would be more of a stain on them than leaving them pressurized, the contraction and expansion is more likely what caused your leak.

Turn the water heater back, but not off as well... you'll be reheating 30+ gallons of water back to temp which is a huge drain on your gas bill. If you are gone for more than a month, maybe worth it.

Why would you shut off the water to the house? Pressurizing the lines would be more of a stain on them than leaving them pressurized, the contraction and expansion is more likely what caused your leak.

Turn the water heater back, but not off as well... you'll be reheating 30+ gallons of water back to temp which is a huge drain on your gas bill. If you are gone for more than a month, maybe worth it.
Agree with this! Minimal heat loss from tank for one week should not be a big deal! Even in NWern PA my basement stays low 60s and that is with poured walls. I would think a block basement might stay warmer, as air in blocks kind of insulation, however, admit I might be totally wrong about that!

If turning off the water, make sure you open up every faucet. You don't want to pull vacuum as the lines cool, and you don't want the water suddenly slamming through the lines (quick compression and expansion of any air in the lines) when you turn the water back on.

We go to Florida for a couple months in the winter. Maybe I'm being lazy, but I just put the hot water tank on vacation and that is it.

Reactions: john4psu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT