ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gardening identification help sought

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Greetings everyone. Other
inYWIHv.jpg
than grass (which grows really well), what is this plant growing in my garden?
I must have planted it as it is growing in a row. I planted asparagus last year but I thought it first grew fern like before you trim it back to the crown so it grows and looks like asparagus the following year.

I planted spinach but I thought it grew closer to the ground rather than so tall.

I don't believe it's squash or zucchini or cucumbers as I've grown those before.

Can you identify it from the photo? Thank you in advance.

my wife, whose mom left Sicily to come to America when she was 13, found a "pick your own" farm market. My wife went around and grabbed all kinds of stuff as she LOVES salads. As she was checking out she told the person "I found these and don't have any idea what they are. My mom used to serve them in salads when I was young but I can't find them anymore. What do you call them?" he looked at her and said, "we call those 'weeds' Ma'am."

my wife, whose mom left Sicily to come to America when she was 13, found a "pick your own" farm market. My wife went around and grabbed all kinds of stuff as she LOVES salads. As she was checking out she told the person "I found these and don't have any idea what they are. My mom used to serve them in salads when I was young but I can't find them anymore. What do you call them?" he looked at her and said, "we call those 'weeds' Ma'am."
When I was a wee lad there was a weed called purslane that was everywhere and hard to get rid of. Grew low to ground with red stems that broke off when you tired to pull it out so we called it snap weed.

Was watching a health food Dr on PBS a month ago and he said that purslane is one of the healthiest foods you can eat with something like ten times more vitamins than kale! Looked it up and you can even buy seeds for it now.

Just make sure you pick the right one with leaves in clusters. If it has opposite leaves it is called spurge and not edible. Both are very common.

Last edited:
My identification app says "Prickley Lettuce" or white mullein.
Not sure if either is right.

When I was a wee lad there was a weed called purslane that was everywhere and hard to get rid of. Grew low to ground with red stems that broke off when you tired to pull it out so we called it snap weed.

Was watching a health food Dr on PBS a month ago and he said that purslane is one of the healthiest foods you can eat with something like ten times more vitamins than kale! Looked it up and you can even buy seeds for it now.

Just make sure you pick the right one with leaves in clusters. If it has opposite leaves it is called purge and not edible. Both are very common.
Here is a nice short video on how to tell the difference between Purslane and Spurge.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
😂😂😂
😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT