ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the retired posters on the board, how often do you shave?

Used to shave M-F for work and then skip one day Saturday or Sunday. Now since working from home, I go every other day and sometimes skip the whole weekend.

I’m trying to get the hang of being retired. Do you still shave every day? I’m right now of the mind that it’s best to shave every day because it sets a routine.
2/week in summer, 1/week in winter or more often if I am appearing somewhere that I care what I look like. I'm widowed & don't really care that much what I look like

Reactions: Creek Side
Shave daily unless you look like this.....
61fySWB2uYL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Wise words.

Retired and I have shaved every other day, with a safety razor. I just got an electric shaver for Christmas. My plan was to shave with it everyday. But it doesn't quite get close enough for me. Now I am flummoxed. I like that word. I need a serendipity. I like that word too.

Average about every other day. It used to be for sure on Sundays regardless, however, with the mask thing I don't worry about that any more. Pull it down two seconds for communion and back up!
This brings up a separate topic one of my daughters and I like to observe at mass. Do you go over or under the mask for communion? It seems to be a pretty even split at my church.

Every day, the routine is good for your mental health
You know, there's probably something to this. Many years ago, I read Terence De Pres' The Survivors, a book that sought to summarize the experience of persons who survived Nazi and Stalinist death camps and made a rudimentary effort to identify the common traits and behaviors that contributed to their survival. One of the most important was the insistence on personal hygiene (which many camps consciously sought to undermine in what de Pres called an "exremental assault" on their humanity). Think of it as a radical act of defiance to insist on maintenance of our nature as social beings living with social conventions. (BTW, I've considered the shaving question not in the context of retirement, but in the context of Covid. The isolation associated with Covid poses a threat not unlike -- albeit of course considerably less dramatic than -- that posed by the camps.)

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim
I’m trying to get the hang of being retired. Do you still shave every day? I’m right now of the mind that it’s best to shave every day because it sets a routine.
Every day. Can’t stand the unshaven feel.

I’m not retired, but I retired from shaving a few years ago. Yet I don’t grow a beard. I have a constant state of stubble, which I clipper down to a minimum once a week or so.

Reactions: BlueLion
You will never know how good your beard can look until you let it grow WAYYYY the F out, THEN trim it back. You might be surprised, and if you hate fing shaving as much as I do, pleased to be done with it.

I shave when I shower, about once a week.
Seriously shaving every day probably does help set a routine. I am more like 3 times a week.

You will never know how good your beard can look until you let it grow WAYYYY the F out, THEN trim it back. You might be surprised, and if you hate fing shaving as much as I do, pleased to be done with it.
Did the women in your life try to talk you out of it before the fact? My wife and daughters are all, please, God, no.

Did the women in your life try to talk you out of it before the fact? My wife and daughters are all, please, God, no.
My wife hates it. Absolutely hates it. My daughters (4 of the ) are split. And honestly I don’t care about any of their opinions. I have ownership and control over very, very few things in my life. Sadly, one of them is this face and I’m not giving up control of it.

I have a beard that I keep short, trim it down every 3-4 weeks. If it gets longer (and it gets whiter) I hate kids yelling “Mom, look, there’s Santa”.

I shave my cheeks (the ones above my beard) maybe every 3-4 days, takes less than a minute.

I have had this beard since before there were women in my life on a regular basis. Tell them to give you 6 months to grow it out fully. You can trim it as you go, and even color it a little, though you'll need advice from others.

I grew a beard about 18 months ago and am never going back. I did have a clipper snafu at one point and shaved it off and hated the way I looked.

I keep it at roughly 1/2 inch ...long enough to be thick but not messy. My wife loves it. I have gone over 2 months currently with no trim so I need to take care of that soon.

My dad is 70 and I’ve never seen him with even a hint of facial hair. He shaves every single morning no matter what.

About twice a week, unless I'm going to be on a Zoom conference. I used to shave almost every day to go food shopping, volunteer at food banks, etc., but having to wear a mask makes shaving unnecessary.
You can’t seal a mask properly with a beard.

I shaved mine in March in anticipation of having to wear a mask then at the end of the summer grew in the ol’ goatee and keep it shaved to the point a mask will seal around it.

I guess it probably isn’t a huge deal with a paper or fabric mask but it is with N95.

The question should be: How often do you shower and change clothes?

Reactions: MrDibbs

Best thing is you can decide each day based on your plans and the weather. Often just a quick hit with the electric razor

2-3 times a week, anymore razor burn, any less stubble itch.

As soon as the razor goes down, the Gillette After Shave Gel goes on. It stings a little of course after you shave, but within minutes there is no razor burn and my face is as soft as a newborn's behind. I have used it for 30+ years and won't shave without it.

Jim, adhere to your routine. Get up at the same time, if you shave every day continue to due so. I know you didn’t ask for it, but I’m going to throw in a few more gratuitous helpful hints.

Maintain your workout schedule if possible. Continue to challenge both your mind and you’re body. If you have grandchildren now you have the time to spoil them rotten whenever possible. If you get really good at this you’re children will beg you to stop, and that’s a great feeling. Ease into change because change for change alone is not always progress.

Just enjoy every day, I’ve been retired for about 14 years now and have witnessed too many of my contemporaries settle into a couch potato existence both mentally and physically. And then sadly their gone. Hell, just steel yourself to the belief that you are going to live long enough to have the Government repay you for every dime ( and then some ) that you put in SS. And if you happen to see some kid walking on your front lawn go yell at him. It’s really a lot of fun the first time.😃
Agree I retired 8 years ago and found that I enjoyed maintaining a schedule for workouts, attending to hobbies, and personal hygiene. I watch less TV now than when I worked.

I shave every five to seven days. Giving my face a break after 45 years of every day.

I use Gillette Fusion blades as they are by far the most comfortable blades for my face (and yes, I’ve used Harry’s and other low cost by-mail pretenders). I get 4-5 weeks out of one cartridge. Walmart sells a 4-pack for $18, and $4 coupons being that cost way down to competitive with the by-mail subscriptions.

ADVERTISEMENT