ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the retired posters on the board, how often do you shave?

I’m trying to get the hang of being retired. Do you still shave every day? I’m right now of the mind that it’s best to shave every day because it sets a routine.
I forget where I read it and I'm too lazy to Google it but I recall reading somewhere...

"A gentleman shaves every day"

Not retired, but I shave every day when I am not working - weekends, vacation, etc.

I’m trying to get the hang of being retired. Do you still shave every day? I’m right now of the mind that it’s best to shave every day because it sets a routine.

Almost every day. I started growing a beard years ago; my wife hated it and I wasn't happy with it either, so I have no interest doing it. I do recommend having some routine and structure in your days. I retired at the end of September 2019, and I found that if I didn't have some plan for the day I didn't manage to do even the stuff I wanted to spend my retirement doing.

Reactions: LionJim
I have been clean shaven once since 1977. Now about once a week around the beard, takes about 5 minutes. Trim the beard to about 1/8 inch every 4 weeks or so.

About twice a week, unless I'm going to be on a Zoom conference. I used to shave almost every day to go food shopping, volunteer at food banks, etc., but having to wear a mask makes shaving unnecessary.

so you are done teaching?

From one of my all-time heroes:

quote-winning-is-like-shaving-you-do-it-every-day-or-you-wind-up-looking-like-a-bum-jack-kemp-15-56-59.jpg

Jim, adhere to your routine. Get up at the same time, if you shave every day continue to due so. I know you didn’t ask for it, but I’m going to throw in a few more gratuitous helpful hints.

Maintain your workout schedule if possible. Continue to challenge both your mind and you’re body. If you have grandchildren now you have the time to spoil them rotten whenever possible. If you get really good at this you’re children will beg you to stop, and that’s a great feeling. Ease into change because change for change alone is not always progress.

Just enjoy every day, I’ve been retired for about 14 years now and have witnessed too many of my contemporaries settle into a couch potato existence both mentally and physically. And then sadly their gone. Hell, just steel yourself to the belief that you are going to live long enough to have the Government repay you for every dime ( and then some ) that you put in SS. And if you happen to see some kid walking on your front lawn go yell at him. It’s really a lot of fun the first time.😃

Jim, adhere to your routine. Get up at the same time, if you shave every day continue to due so. I know you didn’t ask for it, but I’m going to throw in a few more gratuitous helpful hints.

Maintain your workout schedule if possible. Continue to challenge both your mind and you’re body. If you have grandchildren now you have the time to spoil them rotten whenever possible. If you get really good at this you’re children will beg you to stop, and that’s a great feeling. Ease into change because change for change alone is not always progress.

Just enjoy every day, I’ve been retired for about 14 years now and have witnessed too many of my contemporaries settle into a couch potato existence both mentally and physically. And then sadly their gone. Hell, just steel yourself to the belief that you are going to live long enough to have the Government repay you for every dime ( and then some ) that you put in SS. And if you happen to see some kid walking on your front lawn go yell at him. It’s really a lot of fun the first time.😃
Pick up a hobby that creates mental stimulation.

Yep. All done.
good luck. FWIW during the shut downs, I work from home, but I shave every work day. I take the weekends off, unless of course I go out sparking with my girl, I shave then. and FWIW, I shave everyday on vacation too.

Retiring at the end of January and am going to look into volunteering to drive vets to appts the VA in Wilkes Barre. Also a friend and fellow alum in Baltimore and I are going to try and develop a new podcast so I expect lots of subscribers from this site! Also, golf trips to visit my pal MaconNitt in Georgia and play at his two courses there. That’s for starters.

PS: Shaved today after two days. Stubble is gnarly, the electric in between does not work too well.

Last edited:
I can't stand the itching. Usually every 2 days or when it feels like 60 grit sandpaper.

2-3 times a week. Wait any longer and it starts becoming a PITA to shave.

I actually shave more often than I had been doing the last decade of my job.

I have a relatively heavy beard so my wife prefers I shave every day. That's my driving reason. I old school shave with a double edge razor, fine shaving soap, brush, and lather bowl. I get the closet shaves I have ever gotten. Blows away electric or cartridge shaving. I've actually made it a relaxing part of my daily routine. You could save money old school wet shaving because the DE blades are dirt cheap compared to cartridges but don't bank on it. Its easy to get hooked into buying multiple razors, brushes, and a ton of different soaps. I won't use up all my soap in my lifetime so I'm getting the Grandkids into wet shaving at the sign of their first whisker.

I have a beard so I trim and shave once a week. Unless there is a special occasion.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSPMax
ADVERTISEMENT