ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For Eagles fans, ESPN Magazine story on Carson Wentz

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
Carson Wentz Takes Flight

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...arterback-carson-wentz-fans-thankful-football

112217_Wentz-ESPN-Cover.a1d6bb57.fill-735x490.jpg

Last edited:
Read this a few hours ago on my espn app. GREAT article. Dude really is not only a football player dedicated to his craft but he’s an even better person. Google the Dutch destroyer story. Dude hears about a kid and reaches out to him. This is why I’d have no problem with the Eagles trading the farm to move up in the draft to get #26. Franchise qb, franchise rb, both top notch human beings.

Read this a few hours ago on my espn app. GREAT article. Dude really is not only a football player dedicated to his craft but he’s an even better person. Google the Dutch destroyer story. Dude hears about a kid and reaches out to him. This is why I’d have no problem with the Eagles trading the farm to move up in the draft to get #26. Franchise qb, franchise rb, both top notch human beings.

They need to go OL early and often in the draft.

For Eagles fans, ESPN Magazine story on Carson Wentz

thanks for linking

not a bad article. I think it pretty accurately captures the attitude of Eagles fans. Most are still cautious, as they've seen a lot of talented Eagles teams not reach the Super Bowl, or two make it but lose the game. At the same time, each week they watch Wentz play lights out, and the D do an excellent job, which allows them to grow a little bit more confident about their chances this season.

This is why I’d have no problem with the Eagles trading the farm to move up in the draft to get #26. Franchise qb, franchise rb, both top notch human beings.

He'd be a great addition to the Eagles. That said, I don't think they have a lot with which to work in terms of moving up. As things stand now, they will be picking pretty late in the 1st round of the 2018 draft. They traded their 2nd round pick as part of the trade with Cleveland to move up to get Carson Wentz. They traded their 3rd round pick to Buffalo to get Ronald Darby during this year's preseason. In the 4th round, they have their pick and New England's pick. They also had the Viking's pick, but they traded that a few weeks ago to land RB Jay Ajayi from Miami. In the 5th round, they have their pick, and either the Raiders or the Seahawks pick (from the trade of Matt Tobin to Seattle). Lastly, they traded their 7th round pick to Seattle as part of the Matt Tobin trade.

To move up to take Wentz (the #2 pick in 2016), the Eagles gave up:

their 2016 1st round pick (which was #8)
their 2016 3rd round pick
their 2016 4th round pick
their 2017 1st round pick
their 2018 2nd round pick

They gave up all that to move up 6 places in the 2016 draft. To draft Saquon they would have to move up a lot more than 6 places, and they don't have a 2nd round, 3rd round, or 7th round pick to give up this year. I suspect they would have to give up quite a few high picks in 2019 and 2020. That might get them Barkley, but if you hardly have any high picks in 3 straight years, it will cost you a great deal 4 or 5 years after that string of traded away picks.

They need to go OL early and often in the draft.

I disagree. I think In 2-3 years they do, but not yet. The entire OL is signed at least through 2020 (V, Peters, seumalo and Wiz through 2020, Kelce and brooks through 2021 and lane through 2022). I think they’re good there for the short term future. Outside of the safeties they’re young on the D. Of course this is all just one fan’s thoughts. Lurie and howie know much more than I do and I trust em.

For Eagles fans, ESPN Magazine story on Carson Wentz

thanks for linking

not a bad article. I think it pretty accurately captures the attitude of Eagles fans. Most are still cautious, as they've seen a lot of talented Eagles teams not reach the Super Bowl, or two make it but lose the game. At the same time, each week they watch Wentz play lights out, and the D do an excellent job, which allows them to grow a little bit more confident about their chances this season.

This is why I’d have no problem with the Eagles trading the farm to move up in the draft to get #26. Franchise qb, franchise rb, both top notch human beings.

He'd be a great addition to the Eagles. That said, I don't think they have a lot with which to work in terms of moving up. As things stand now, they will be picking pretty late in the 1st round of the 2018 draft. They traded their 2nd round pick as part of the trade with Cleveland to move up to get Carson Wentz. They traded their 3rd round pick to Buffalo to get Ronald Darby during this year's preseason. In the 4th round, they have their pick and New England's pick. They also had the Viking's pick, but they traded that a few weeks ago to land RB Jay Ajayi from Miami. In the 5th round, they have their pick, and either the Raiders or the Seahawks pick (from the trade of Matt Tobin to Seattle). Lastly, they traded their 7th round pick to Seattle as part of the Matt Tobin trade.

To move up to take Wentz (the #2 pick in 2016), the Eagles gave up:

their 2016 1st round pick (which was #8)
their 2016 3rd round pick
their 2016 4th round pick
their 2017 1st round pick
their 2018 2nd round pick

They gave up all that to move up 6 places in the 2016 draft. To draft Saquon they would have to move up a lot more than 6 places, and they don't have a 2nd round, 3rd round, or 7th round pick to give up this year. I suspect they've have to give up quite a few high picks in 2019 and 2020. That might get them Barkley, but if you hardly have any high picks in 3 straight years, it will cost you a great deal 4 or 5 years after that string of traded away picks.

Oh yea, completely agree it would take a lot, however I really think it would be worth it. Provided it only effected up to 2019 picks. If someone wanted to get into 2020 picks, no way. I just look at the youth on this team and can’t help but think it’s at least worth looking into for Howie and lurie. I’m also completely speculating here, but with as close as this team is, id love to see a bunch of them offer to take less money to keep this group together. I know I know, little bit delusional. Ok LOT bit delusional but a guy can dream! It worked for golden state!

I disagree. I think In 2-3 years they do, but not yet. The entire OL is signed at least through 2020 (V, Peters, seumalo and Wiz through 2020, Kelce and brooks through 2021 and lane through 2022). I think they’re good there for the short term future. Outside of the safeties they’re young on the D. Of course this is all just one fan’s thoughts. Lurie and howie know much more than I do and I trust em.

Peters might be done and they were ready to ride Kelce out of town the last couple of years. Brooks and Lane are playing at a very high level. I imagine they let Smith walk but attempt to resign Jeffrey to go along with Agholor and Collins. They might go wideout too. I would consider LB'er as well given Hicks injury bug.

Peters might be done and they were ready to ride Kelce out of town the last couple of years. Brooks and Lane are playing at a very high level. I imagine they let Smith walk but attempt to resign Jeffrey to go along with Agholor and Collins. They might go wideout too. I would consider LB'er as well given Hicks injury bug.

Peters is most likely done, but V has done great in his place. No one is more surprised than me by that. I agree kelce has been up and down but he’s VERY up this year, as he’s one of the top 3 centers going right now. I wonder how much of that is due to one or both of the guards being garbage the last few seasons (Dennis Kelly, Allen barbre...) now that he has a stud to his right and a solid smart wiz to his left, he’s solid.

I’d also love to see 17 stay in midnight green. He and Aghlor would be great but they need a speed guy to go with 17. I think that’s what smith really brings to the team. He takes the top off the D. I’m interested to see what joe walker does the rest of the season. Hasn’t looked bad in hicks’ spot, but he’s not on the field THAT often. They were really high on him last year before he blew his ACL.

ADVERTISEMENT