ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For Delco Lion- Link re: Danny O

Victor E. Bell

Aug 28, 2001
Ridge and Valley Province
I didn't want to continue to take the other thread down that off-topic road too far...I found these interesting words from Danny O. I looked around for info on a Silver Star but came up empty for him. I honestly don't remember ever hearing he was involved in the invasion, or maybe I was young and forgot about it. Quite a man, and the fans let him have it pretty relentlessly (I was no exception!)

http://www.baseballhappenings.net/2009/05/danny-ozark-85-phillies-manager-wwii.html

(from the article)

Ozark entered professional baseball in 1942, starting out as a second baseman for Brooklyn's class D team in Olean. It was there where he was teammates with a future Brooklyn Dodger, Cal Abrams. Shortly thereafter, he was drafted into the Army.

"I was in the Army, and we landed in Europe on D-Day," Ozark said in 2008. "I received the Purple Heart in St. Laurent, France and got out in 1945. I spent three years in WWII, all of them in Europe. I never saw a baseball during WWII. I wasn't even sure I was going to go back [to baseball]."

Ozark described just what it was like to be there on D-Day.

"Well, it was I guess, the way alot of people ask me, and the best thing I probably said was, 'My underwear was very dirty and I didn't have a chance to change it for two weeks.' We were scared like everyone else, but we were young kids and alot of that stuff didn't bother us. Once you've seen death and people dying slowly, things like that stay in your memory. I can still visualize guys drowning after getting out of LCT's (landing craft tanks), because the water was deeper than they anticipated. Some of the guys that went down with the 60 lb. tanks drowned and we never saw them again."
He was wounded in combat and later received a Purple Heart for his bravery.

"I received a Purple Heart for shrapnel wounds off of an artillery shell," he said. "The other battle we were in was the Battle of the Bulge. I spent time in Antwerp while the bulge was coming towards us because of the shipping they had in the docks where all of our equipment came in."

Returning from WWII in the winter gave Ozark very little time to prepare himself for spring training.

"When I got home in December 1945, my brother didn't go into the service and I played basketball with him until spring training," he said. "I got my legs in better shape than I had them before, but I never got to throw or anything like living in Buffalo [in the winter]."

Ozark, as well as many others returning from the war found themselves behind the curve entering Florida in February of 1946. They were also walking into history unfolding before their eyes.

"I didn't even pick up a baseball you know. Brooklyn sent me a contract to report to Spring Training in February. They brought us down to Sanford, Florida. That's where Jackie [Robinson] came in, right near Daytona Beach. It was the first time I got to meet him too. We were in spring training together in '46. Heck, the first week we started playing exhibition games. I got a sore arm like everyone else. We couldn't throw the ball, yet they kept pushing us. It took time to get our arms in shape, our bats to hit the ball, and for us catch the ball because we never played baseball [during the war]."
There was immediate competition from the players that lived on the West Coast and those that spent their military service playing baseball.

"Guys in the service, especially in the Navy, some of them played with teams in exhibition games where the war was going on, guys like [Bob] Feller, Virgil Trucks, etc. We had so many guys coming from California where they can play year round. They were so far ahead of us in spring training, fielding, hitting, throwing, as far as baseball was concerned. It took us a whole month to catch up, sometimes longer because so many players in the service came out and reported. Pitchers hurt their arms because they threw too soon. [Branch] Rickey wanted to see how hard you could throw. We didn't have the doctors like they have today where you could mend in a short time and bring it back like it used to be."

Vic I remember reading Ozark being awarded the Purple Heart.

I did not read the article or look at the other thread yet, but you know one of his teammates at Oneota was a big first baseman named Paul Owens, right?

I have a poor memory for these things. Out of sight, out of (my) mind.
You know why you did not remember? Because I'm WRONG, that's why.

Ozark played in Oneota. Owens played in Olean. Only 200 miles apart, so if they had any post-game strategy session, they were by long distance.

Sorry. Do yourself a favor. Don't listen to me.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I didn't want to continue to take the other thread down that off-topic road too far...I found these interesting words from Danny O. I looked around for info on a Silver Star but came up empty for him. I honestly don't remember ever hearing he was involved in the invasion, or maybe I was young and forgot about it. Quite a man, and the fans let him have it pretty relentlessly (I was no exception!)

http://www.baseballhappenings.net/2009/05/danny-ozark-85-phillies-manager-wwii.html

(from the article)

"

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT