ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For all you maggots, R Lee Ermey on Adam Carolla

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
LINK

his interview starts about 30 minutes in. what a fascinating guy.

so stoked that next week's classic film at Cinemark is Full Metal Jacket

LINK

Kubrick is one of my two all-time favorite directors. Always created something new, different and all his own.

Reactions: simons96
Kubrick is one of my two all-time favorite directors. Always created something new, different and all his own.

all of his films are so technically brilliant. little known trivia is that he worked with Ken Adams, famous for his Bond set creations. Kubrik did some uncredited work on Stromberg's lair in The Spy Who Loved Me

but on a personal note, FMJ was released in July 1987, I went into boot camp in December 1987. certainly set the mood . . .

Reactions: mn78psu83
all of his films are so technically brilliant. little known trivia is that he worked with Ken Adams, famous for his Bond set creations. Kubrik did some uncredited work on Stromberg's lair in The Spy Who Loved Me

but on a personal note, FMJ was released in July 1987, I went into boot camp in December 1987. certainly set the mood . . .
And he never went to film school. I wonder how much your perspective will have shifted from the last time you watched it? An intense viewing experience.

LINK

That guy's awesome. I was so irritated when the Discovery channel ended his shows. I was always temped to get one of his motivational dolls, but the future Mrs. Joe wasn't thrilled about it, and they are not work appropriate. Now that I have a little girl, that ship has sailed for at least another ten years. Loved his work in Full Metal Jacket, and I never pass up an opportunity to repeat his wisdom re: Texans.

And he never went to film school. I wonder how much your perspective will have shifted from the last time you watched it? An intense viewing experience.

Kubrik was a genius who constantly criticized the Hollywood execs who knew f**k all about film making.

I am really looking forward to experiencing FMJ once more on the captive big screen. Such an intense film, but how did R Lee Remy not even get NOMINATED for that role??

Sean Connery won that year for a career nod in The Untouchables, and not to disparage these other actors but . . .

Vincent Gardenia for Moonstruck? Morgan Freeman for Street Smart? nowhere near the intense performance R Lee put on the screen that year.

LINK

I understand today's "new military" has changed substantially over the years so I can't comment on that. However, if you combine Ermey's performance in Full Metal Jacket and Jack Webb's performance in "The D.I." movie you'll get a very good idea what Parris Island was like before the "new military" was implemented although neither movie actually covers a lot of the bizarre craziness that takes place on that island.

I understand today's "new military" has changed substantially over the years so I can't comment on that. However, if you combine Ermey's performance in Full Metal Jacket and Jack Webb's performance in "The D.I." movie you'll get a very good idea what Parris Island was like before the "new military" was implemented although neither movie actually covers a lot of the bizarre craziness that takes place on that island.
"craziness" Were you there ? If so, didn't you have fun ?? Semper FI !

IIRC the Navy changed their boot camp policies in Jan 1988. Since I started in Dec 1987, our company fell under the "old regs". you could definitely see the difference with the newer companies. and not in a good way.

all I will say is I am intellectually opposed to any type of hazing for any type of social clubs. but it serves the military well. the fear of physical reprisal motivated me to learn how to do certain things very quickly. I'll also say my boot camp commander used the most wonderful verb I have ever heard: unf**k. as in "Simons, you better unf**k yourself by 0700 or you WILL be paying for it on my grinder!"

Kubrik was a genius who constantly criticized the Hollywood execs who knew f**k all about film making.

I am really looking forward to experiencing FMJ once more on the captive big screen. Such an intense film, but how did R Lee Remy not even get NOMINATED for that role??

Sean Connery won that year for a career nod in The Untouchables, and not to disparage these other actors but . . .

Vincent Gardenia for Moonstruck? Morgan Freeman for Street Smart? nowhere near the intense performance R Lee put on the screen that year.
Kubrick had a knack for choosing actors that others might not have. Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood for 2001 & Ryan O'Neil for Barry Lyndon? Completely agree that Ermey was deserving. Hard to believe that he was only nominated for a Golden Globe.

Kubrick had a knack for choosing actors that others might not have. Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood for 2001 & Ryan O'Neil for Barry Lyndon? Completely agree that Ermey was deserving. Hard to believe that he was only nominated for a Golden Globe.

hard to fathom he was nominated for best director 4 times (Barry Lyndon, 2001, Clockwork Orange, Dr Strangelove) and best screenplay 5 times (FMJ, Barry Lyndon, Clockwork Orange, 2001, Dr Strangelove) but only won a single Oscar for best visual effects (2001)

and that the film many consider his greatest cinematic masterpiece (The Shining) was not nominated for ANY Academy Awards. not even Jack got a nod.

Reactions: mn78psu83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT