ADVERTISEMENT

OT for all knowing board - have a small bird that constantly flies into one of our windows

mjh218

Aug 14, 2001
We live in San Diego. Over the last week or so there is a small bird that lives in one of the trees on our property. Our family room has cathedral ceilings and we have about 12 plate glass windows that are approx 2x2 feet. The bird spends about 90% of its day flying against the window. It is loud and distracting! Looking for a way to get this to stop short of using a pellet gun and ending the bird's life! There is no ledge on the window, it is flush against the side of the house. So I don't think it is trying to make a nest there. But it literally flies against it for about 45 minutes every hour. Makes thumping noises the entire time.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks. This bird is really pissing me off. I’ll try putting some paper there to kill the reflection. If not it’s war

The bird is seeing its reflection and trying to protect its territory. Will probably move on after some time.

Reactions: katchthis
We live in San Diego. Over the last week or so there is a small bird that lives in one of the trees on our property. Our family room has cathedral ceilings and we have about 12 plate glass windows that are approx 2x2 feet. The bird spends about 90% of its day flying against the window. It is loud and distracting! Looking for a way to get this to stop short of using a pellet gun and ending the bird's life! There is no ledge on the window, it is flush against the side of the house. So I don't think it is trying to make a nest there. But it literally flies against it for about 45 minutes every hour. Makes thumping noises the entire time.

Anyone have a recommendation?
Open the window. 🙃

Reactions: SR108
If the bird is being territorial the hawk decoy in the window may not work/could make it worse. Everyone's seen small birds attacking raptors to drive them away from a nest.

I suggest setting up a video camera, taking video of it and putting it up on Youtube.

Taped some paper to the window and it has done the trick for the last hour. Guessing the bid has babies in the nest which is about 10 yards away. It may have some serious concussion issues though, after flying into the window for a few days straight

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Eventually it will likely breaks it's neck doing this. I have large windows on each side of the house and the birds think they can fly on through. Sadly, the windows kill about 10 a year. It makes a very loud sound so I can understand that it isn't pleasant.

The bird is relentless! I put stuff over window to stop the reflection. Doesn't seem to matter. This is war I guess.

Yep. One spring i had a robin that kept attacking his reflection in my truck bumper for about two weeks before he finally gave up.

At our last house my wife would park her Red SUV on the car pad next to our neighbor's pine trees. Every year a robin would make their nest in the tree and attack her side mirrors. I told her to fold them in (they were power none-the-less), but NO... she just bitched about the marks on her mirrors.

Word to the wise... telling your wife "It is your fault for not folding the mir

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT