ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Flight 800 Anniversary - photo taken today in Montoursville...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
Never Forget.

20031936_1574892119252926_2577406234686317702_n.jpg

I don't believe that Louis Freeh framed Paterno or others ........

but I do believe Freeh was part of a cover-up as regards what really happened with TWA 800.

RIP to those who perished 21 years ago.

I don't believe that Louis Freeh framed Paterno or others ........

but I do believe Freeh was part of a cover-up as regards what really happened with TWA 800.

RIP to those who perished 21 years ago.

There wasn't even a need to mention Paterno here, but you couldn't help yourself. Also unsure why you're so convinced he wouldn't screw up the Paterno investigation when his history is so stellar. See Richard Jewel, FIFA, TWA, et al.

There wasn't even a need to mention Paterno here, but you couldn't help yourself. Also unsure why you're so convinced he wouldn't screw up the Paterno investigation when his history is so stellar. See Richard Jewel, FIFA, TWA, et al.

I didn't say anything bad about Paterno. Chill out dude.

With PSU, Freeh just collected evidence and wrote up a report with conclusions based on such. There was nothing evil or sinister there. The PSU investigation was pretty straightforward. The e-mails existed - he didn't manufacture them.

Nothing like covering up the fact that PETN residue was found in multiple samples from the airplane. That was evil and sinister.

Last edited:

With PSU, Freeh just collected evidence and wrote up a report with conclusions based on such. There was nothing evil or sinister there. The PSU investigation was pretty straightforward. The e-mails existed - he didn't manufacture them.

Nothing like covering up the fact that PETN residue was found in multiple samples from the airplane. That was evil and sinister.
Not sure what makes michnittlion think Freeh has credibility. You cite this investigation as "evil and sinister". What do you say about his investigation of the Olympic bombing? Malicious toward Richard Jewell or merely an incompetent investigation?

Or note what former Homeland Secretary Michael Chertoff said about a Freeh investigation involving Wynn Resorts and Aruze:

WSJ – Michael Chertoff, Former Homeland Security Secretary, Says Louis Freeh Report’s Legal Analysis is “Superficial and Inflammatory” and its Conclusions “Not Credible”. Universal Entertainment Corporation announced today that Judge Michael Chertoff, the former U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary, has issued an assessment castigating last year’s report by Former FBI Director Louis J. Freeh concerning the affairs of Japanese gaming entrepreneur Kazuo Okada and his affiliated companies. According to Judge Chertoff, the Freeh report was “structurally deficient, one-sided, and seemingly advocacy-driven.” Moreover, its conclusions, “simply are not credible.” Instead, Judge Chertoff found Freeh’s report to be “deeply flawed” and “lack[ing] basic indicia of a credible investigation.”

In a summary of the analysis released today, Judge Chertoff and his team explained that the Freeh report failed to adequately support its conclusions and did not meet the basic requirements of a thorough, objective and credible investigation. Specifically, Judge Chertoff and his colleagues found:

-- The Freeh report was tainted by the timing and circumstances of its
creation because the Wynn Board moved within days to act on its content
and redeem Aruze USA's 20 percent stake in the company without providing
him the opportunity to respond to its allegations;

-- The Freeh report's factual findings and inferences lacked objectivity and
factual support;

-- The Freeh report was "based on unreliable accounts of interested
witnesses and implausible inferences";

-- The Freeh report's legal analysis was superficial and inflammatory; and

-- Freeh's investigative process was insufficiently documented and revealed
a number of gaps.
According to the summary, the Freeh report’s most significant shortcomings include:

-- Timing that implies that Wynn Resorts commissioned the report for a clear
purpose: to justify ousting Mr. Okada from the Board and redeeming Aruze
USA's 20 percent stake in the company at a substantial discount;

-- Consistently pairing grave and far-reaching conclusions with scant and
unreliable supporting evidence and incomplete investigation and analysis,
including broadly alleging a "practice and pattern" of Foreign Corrupt
Practices Act (FCPA) violations without sufficient detail to meaningfully
evaluate these incidents;

-- Reaching legal conclusions through deficient legal analysis, including
asserting a bad faith, possibly criminal violation of Philippine law
while ignoring key aspects of the legal analysis Wynn Resorts
commissioned from a local law firm; and,

-- Failing to provide any meaningful explanation of its process and citing
documents that are of dubious provenance or otherwise unreliable, as well
as relying on potentially biased interviewees.

Not sure what makes michnittlion think Freeh has credibility. You cite this investigation as "evil and sinister". What do you say about his investigation of the Olympic bombing? Malicious toward Richard Jewell or merely an incompetent investigation?

Or note what former Homeland Secretary Michael Chertoff said about a Freeh investigation involving Wynn Resorts and Aruze:

WSJ – Michael Chertoff, Former Homeland Security Secretary, Says Louis Freeh Report’s Legal Analysis is “Superficial and Inflammatory” and its Conclusions “Not Credible”. Universal Entertainment Corporation announced today that Judge Michael Chertoff, the former U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary, has issued an assessment castigating last year’s report by Former FBI Director Louis J. Freeh concerning the affairs of Japanese gaming entrepreneur Kazuo Okada and his affiliated companies. According to Judge Chertoff, the Freeh report was “structurally deficient, one-sided, and seemingly advocacy-driven.” Moreover, its conclusions, “simply are not credible.” Instead, Judge Chertoff found Freeh’s report to be “deeply flawed” and “lack[ing] basic indicia of a credible investigation.”

In a summary of the analysis released today, Judge Chertoff and his team explained that the Freeh report failed to adequately support its conclusions and did not meet the basic requirements of a thorough, objective and credible investigation. Specifically, Judge Chertoff and his colleagues found:

-- The Freeh report was tainted by the timing and circumstances of its
creation because the Wynn Board moved within days to act on its content
and redeem Aruze USA's 20 percent stake in the company without providing
him the opportunity to respond to its allegations;

-- The Freeh report's factual findings and inferences lacked objectivity and
factual support;

-- The Freeh report was "based on unreliable accounts of interested
witnesses and implausible inferences";

-- The Freeh report's legal analysis was superficial and inflammatory; and

-- Freeh's investigative process was insufficiently documented and revealed
a number of gaps.
According to the summary, the Freeh report’s most significant shortcomings include:

-- Timing that implies that Wynn Resorts commissioned the report for a clear
purpose: to justify ousting Mr. Okada from the Board and redeeming Aruze
USA's 20 percent stake in the company at a substantial discount;

-- Consistently pairing grave and far-reaching conclusions with scant and
unreliable supporting evidence and incomplete investigation and analysis,
including broadly alleging a "practice and pattern" of Foreign Corrupt
Practices Act (FCPA) violations without sufficient detail to meaningfully
evaluate these incidents;

-- Reaching legal conclusions through deficient legal analysis, including
asserting a bad faith, possibly criminal violation of Philippine law
while ignoring key aspects of the legal analysis Wynn Resorts
commissioned from a local law firm; and,

-- Failing to provide any meaningful explanation of its process and citing
documents that are of dubious provenance or otherwise unreliable, as well
as relying on potentially biased interviewees.

And..........here we go!

No, nothing bad, but you had to make damn sure that if you questioned Louis Freeh you made clear you don't dare question his Paterno conclusions.

And I love that you said he so simply and innocently gathered evidence and drew "conclusions based on such." You're an attorney, but you think he reasonably drew "conclusions based on such?"

If the Joe in his evidence gathering were merely an equipment manager, he would've drawn zero conclusions about him, because there were no conclusions to be drawn. He only drew conclusions based on leaps of logic because he was paid to draw those conclusions about Joe. He contributed to the ruination of a great man's name by stating as fact that which he guessed, all for his few pieces of silver. I'm gonna go ahead and label that evil and sinister as well.

Pass through Mville on our way up to the family house outside Forksville and Hillsgrove. Great people and country.
My brother lives up there on top of the Hogland in Shunk. Cabin is at the mouth of Little Bear.

Reactions: bwifan
My brother lives up there on top of the Hogland in Shunk. Cabin is at the mouth of Little Bear.

I am on elk road off Rt. 87 between Hillsgrove and Forksville (back past baseball camp) where Hoagland branch dumps into elk creek just above loyalsock. Down in the valley between Bear Mtn and Middle Mtn .... Great trout fishing along with turkey hunting. Grandfather built the house up there in 1950.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe
I am on elk road where Hoagland branch dumps into elk creek just above loyalsock. Down in the valley between Bear Mtn and Middle Mtn .... Great trout fishing along with turkey hunting. Grandfather built the house up there in 1950.
Ha ha, know right where you are.

Reactions: bwifan
Cream puffs and raisin filled cookies please!

18485948_1503131936428945_3394284198218013220_n.jpg

18519551_1503130939762378_7013229716106989253_n.jpg

I used to ride my bike there as a kid and grab smiley cookie or two...when I bring my family out now they can't believe how great this bakery is and that a dozen cookies cost as much as one where we now live, with half the quality.

I'll add that a stop at Venice Pizza in Loyalsock is always on the agenda as well. At least as good as anything I can get in Manhattan....

Thanks for this tribute and trip down memory lane. 21 years ago feels like 21 seconds ago, especially that night...

I used to ride my bike there as a kid and grab smiley cookie or two...when I bring my family out now they can't believe how great this bakery is and that a dozen cookies cost as much as one where we now live, with half the quality.

I'll add that a stop at Venice Pizza in Loyalsock is always on the agenda as well. At least as good as anything I can get in Manhattan....

Thanks for this tribute and trip down memory lane. 21 years ago feels like 21 seconds ago, especially that night...
This is great. I worked there doing dishes, then to Weis Markets, that used to be in Montoursville. The best raison filled cookies were however, at 20th Century Bakery! Ha ha.

Gotta love High Knob Inn, the Forksville Inn, and the Hillsgrove Hotel and Country Store. Oh yeah, and the Barn.

If you're in Montoursville, stop at Johnson's Cafe. A dear friend and Penn State grad, Gordon Snyder owns it. Please stop in, you won't be disappointed.

Gotta love High Knob Inn, the Forksville Inn, and the Hillsgrove Hotel and Country Store. Oh yeah, and the Barn.

If you're in Montoursville, stop at Johnson's Cafe. A dear friend and Penn State grad, Gordon Snyder owns it. Please stop in, you won't be disappointed.

Man did you hit the jackpot for places I have grown up in as a young kid tagging along in hunting and fishing season to doing shots and my grandfather dad uncles etc through the years especially high knob inn. Since it was down the street and only thing we had to navigate around going home was the loyalsock and elk creek...

Last edited:

Bonus points and should be a slam dunk for you ... what was Forksville Inn original name?

What do you Montoursville folks think of Eder's Ice Cream? Stopped in for the first time ever this year and loved it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT