ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Female reporter sexually assaulted during live World Cup broadcast in Russia

francofan

Oct 26, 2015
Colombian reporter Julieth Gonzalez Theran was standing in a city square in Saransk, Russia, late last week reporting on the World Cup for Deutsche Welle, a German news station.

However, right as she went live on television for her report, a man came running up into the shot. The man grabbed Gonzalez Theran and her breast, kissed her on the cheek, and quickly took off.

Gonzalez Theran, though, didn’t let the attack faze her one bit. She impressively continued right on with her report as if nothing had happened — even while the man was groping her.

“We do not deserve this treatment,” Gonzalez Theran posted on Instagram with the video of her report shortly after the incident. “We are equally valuable and professionals. I share the joy of football, but we must identify the limits of affection and harassment.”

The man has yet to be identified.

“I had been at the scene for two hours to prepare for the broadcast and there had been no interruptions,” Gonzalez Theran said. “When we went live, this fan took advantage of the situation. But afterwards, when I checked to see if he was still there, he was gone.”

Gonzalez Theran isn’t just there to “bring some color to the picture,” she said, but to “talk about systems and strategy” on the field, too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/female-rep...-005939611.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_15

What the man did to Gonzalez Theran seems to me to be over the line and wrong. What do you think would be a reasonable punishment? Do you think he deserves jail time? I am not sure, but I wouldn't be upset if got some. In Russia, who know what will happen - they may give him serious jail time but probably will just give him a slap on the wrist if he is identified and brought to justice. If he is not Russian, I suspect he will become persona non grata.

Colombian reporter Julieth Gonzalez Theran was standing in a city square in Saransk, Russia, late last week reporting on the World Cup for Deutsche Welle, a German news station.

However, right as she went live on television for her report, a man came running up into the shot. The man grabbed Gonzalez Theran and her breast, kissed her on the cheek, and quickly took off.

Gonzalez Theran, though, didn’t let the attack faze her one bit. She impressively continued right on with her report as if nothing had happened — even while the man was groping her.

“We do not deserve this treatment,” Gonzalez Theran posted on Instagram with the video of her report shortly after the incident. “We are equally valuable and professionals. I share the joy of football, but we must identify the limits of affection and harassment.”

“I had been at the scene for two hours to prepare for the broadcast and there had been no interruptions,” Gonzalez Theran said. “When we went live, this fan took advantage of the situation. But afterwards, when I checked to see if he was still there, he was gone.”

Gonzalez Theran isn’t just there to “bring some color to the picture,” she said, but to “talk about systems and strategy” on the field, too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/female-rep...-005939611.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_15

What the man did to Gonzalez Theran seems to me to be over the line and wrong. What do you think would be a reasonable punishment? Do you think he deserves jail time? I am not sure, but I wouldn't be upset if got some. In Russia, who know what will happen - they may give him serious jail time but probably will just give him a slap on the wrist if he is identified and brought to justice. If he is not Russian, I suspect he will become persona non grata.
Must be some collusion going on!!! :rolleyes:

Make him read this post. That should be punishment enough.

Reactions: grinagrin
In the news story, they actually referred to that as "Sexual Assault"? "Groping"?

SMH

I'm not even sure he "groped" more like placed his hand for the camera.

That being said in today's terms is considered sexual assault.

The bigger issue here IMO is that the woman was working and some clown attempted to interfere. I see this happening more and more for reporters.

During the Belmont some clown was holding a race brochure in front of the reporters face while she was reporting, etc. etc. We have developed into a society without courtesy.

LdN

Reactions: mmp121 and N&B4PSU
Really?

As defined by whom?

Every legal jurisdiction has unique terminologies - but here is a typical example:

§ 3124.1. Sexual assault.

Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape) or 3123 (relating to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with a complainant without the complainant's consent.

(Mar. 31, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.985, No.10, eff. 60 days)

1995 Amendment. Act 10, 1st Sp.Sess., added section 3124.1. Section 18 of Act 10, 1st Sp.Sess., provided that section 3124.1 shall apply to offenses committed on or after the effective date of Act 10.

Cross References. Section 3124.1 is referred to in sections 3124.2, 3124.3, 3125, 3141, 5702, 5708, 9122 of this title; sections 4321, 5329, 6303, 6304, 6344 of Title 23 (Domestic Relations); sections 5552, 6302, 6358, 6402, 6403, 9799.14, 9799.24 of Title 42 (Judiciary and Judicial Procedure).

Is it assault then? Taylor Swift won her assault case in court with much less visual evidence. It was a civil case, but still - sexual assault was the word used in court.

1110-taylor-swift-ass-grab-tmz-3.jpg

Clearly the burden of proving SA was not met. Perhaps assualt in general.. lew behavior, or some such. But for it to be SA, some form of penetration had to occur... hwo knows what the guy was going with Taylor but it's clear as day the idiot in Russia did not do that... but in today's world, rules and law mean nothing. Imagine my shock.

Really?

As defined by whom?

Every legal jurisdiction has unique terminologies - but here is a typical example:

§ 3124.1. Sexual assault.

Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape) or 3123 (relating to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with a complainant without the complainant's consent.

(Mar. 31, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.985, No.10, eff. 60 days)

1995 Amendment. Act 10, 1st Sp.Sess., added section 3124.1. Section 18 of Act 10, 1st Sp.Sess., provided that section 3124.1 shall apply to offenses committed on or after the effective date of Act 10.

Cross References. Section 3124.1 is referred to in sections 3124.2, 3124.3, 3125, 3141, 5702, 5708, 9122 of this title; sections 4321, 5329, 6303, 6304, 6344 of Title 23 (Domestic Relations); sections 5552, 6302, 6358, 6402, 6403, 9799.14, 9799.24 of Title 42 (Judiciary and Judicial Procedure).

It is unfortunate.

Assault as a general term is overused.

It is today's society.

LdN

Clearly the burden of proving SA was not met. Perhaps assualt in general.. lew behavior, or some such. But for it to be SA, some form of penetration had to occur... hwo knows what the guy was going with Taylor but it's clear as day the idiot in Russia did not do that... but in today's world, rules and law mean nothing. Imagine my shock.

The DJ was found guilty of groping TS's butt.

The guy shouldn't have done that.
It also wasn't newsworthy.

The DJ was found guilty of groping TS's butt.
I know, but it does not meet the burden of SA. My point in that instance was TS couyld have alleged he was doing more than cupping her butt... you can't see his hand in action. Had she done so and the Cort believed her, SA is a fair avenue. She didn't, so it cannot be SA.

Unless meeting the burden of proof is no longer required. lol.

Not being argumentative with you here... just not sure how anyone can make a claim for SA without meeting the standards of charge.

I know, but it does not meet the burden of SA. My point in that instance was TS couyld have alleged he was doing more than cupping her butt... you can't see his hand in action. Had she done so and the Cort believed her, SA is a fair avenue. She didn't, so it cannot be SA.

Unless meeting the burden of proof is no longer required. lol.

Not being argumentative with you here... just not sure how anyone can make a claim for SA without meeting the standards of charge.

I'm not a lawyer or judge, but in TS's case she claimed her bare butt was groped (under her dress). No penetration. If not sexual assault, then assault. We can agree there.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT