ADVERTISEMENT

OT/FC: Rank the 10 Vacant CFB HC Jobs....

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Bonus points for naming their new HC. Won't be surprised to see Kiffin, Rhule, and Golden elsewhere next year...

In alphabetical order...

Illinois
Hawaii
Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

And there could be more (Rutgers, Virginia, etc.).

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

Extra Credit: Which of these jobs is Pitt better than?

1. USC - obvious
2. Miami - so much talent in that area
3. VT - pretty consisent and has a decent foundation to start from
4. Maryland - joining the BIg 10 and it seem like Maryland is serious about making their program better. I bet they spend money for a big hire.
5. South Carolina - SEC and decent talent in the area, but surrounded by lots of decent teams
6 Illinois - Should be much better then they are
7. UCF - lots of talent in florda but not a school you hear about
8. Minnesota - just not enough talent in that area and a brutal winter
9. Hawaii - no clue
10. North Texas - no clue

1. USC - obvious
4. Maryland - joining the BIg 10 and it seem like Maryland is serious about making their program better. I bet they spend money for a big hire.
5. South Carolina - SEC and decent talent in the area, but surrounded by lots of decent teams
9. Hawaii - no clue

Dantonio is already having to deal with the South Carolina job; it's his alma mater.....

1. USC - Blue blood program, will always be primed for potential national championship runs.

2. UCF - Seriously, yes, this high. By all means, they should be THE premier non-power 5 team in the country. Location, location, and location, as well as a huge student body --- the potential for quite a bit of fan support in the future.

3. Maryland - I'd expect them to offer some coach like $5-6MM this year, at least TRY to break the bank. The recruiting area is prime. The potential is there.

4. Miami - If they ever move back down to South Miami (Marlins Park area), they vault to #2. But playing way up where they do is a huge limiting factor.

5. South Carolina - Spurrier only won 1 SEC East title here. You can go 8-4 here, but it's still hard to really break out to the top of the SEC.

6. Virginia Tech - I tend to think they fall into being a mid-tier ACC team in the longer-term future, but Beamer showed it can be done here.

(insert Pittsburgh here :) )

7. Hawaii - June Jones got these guys to TWO Top 25 finishes, 2007 and 2010. Gotta keep the local kids. If they do, it's the only game in town on the islands.

8. Illinois - In a big-state and in the weaker of the B1G's 2 divisions, but really fighting inertia here. No one has tapped that potential for a generation+ now.

9. Minnesota - Pro sports town, Gopher Ice Hockey is more popular than Gopher football. 7-5 and some Music City Bowls is really where this program maxes out.

10. North Texas - Good location but 3rd-tier in terms of people paying attention locally, behind the Big XII schools (1st-tier) and schools like SMU (2nd-tier).

Bonus points for naming their new HC. Won't be surprised to see Kiffin, Rhule, and Golden elsewhere next year...

In alphabetical order...

Illinois
Hawaii
Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

Texas also a possibility. Some here wanted that coach.

Texas also a possibility. Some here wanted that coach.

Yeah, I don't know that Strong can save himself this year. Texas will be the top gig in the country if available.

Also, how patient will Nebraska be with Mike Riley? They are having unprecedented levels of suckitude this year, and the natives are restless. Riley is also getting to the point in life when maybe the hassles aren't worth it to him, and he just up and quits.

In alphabetical order...

Illinois
Hawaii
Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

Whoever takes the "Da U" job will have the thug FB alums looking over his shoulder per some recent comments. Seems as tho the former players don't trust the administration to get it right re "their" program and it's "traditions" (such as they are). Good luck to whoever takes over.

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

I agree except Miami. I put them behind South Carolina just because of the talent pool and draw from out of state players. I also may move UCF up a notch or two.

1. USC - obvious
9. Hawaii - no clue

^^ Got the rankings completely right -- including 9 and 10. :) ^^

In alphabetical order...

Illinois
Hawaii
Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

Interesting. I would move MD to 3 simply because of the money Under Armour is going to throw at them. I would also move UCF into the top 5. INMO by location and size its a better gig than Illinois and Minny and maybe even VA Tech.
So mine would be.

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Maryland
4. UCF
5. Va Tech
6. Illiniois
7. Miami
8. Minny
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii.
and I do think both RU and UVA will open up.

Yeah, I don't know that Strong can save himself this year. Texas will be the top gig in the country if available.

I thought he could after beating OK but not sure what happens after the Iowa St. debacle.
And Yes Texas would vault to #1 if available.

Some rumor I heard about whether Hawaii may decide to drop football. It's just too expensive for them.

Hawaii's athletic department as a whole runs a deficit --- but I can't imagine it would get better by dropping football.

Football has its own multi-million $$$ PPV package for citizens of the islands, ticket sales, sponsorships, plays 1-2 buy games per year (more $$$), and has an ESPN-owned home-state Bowl to automatically play in when the team gets to 6-6.

I tend to think football makes $ as a whole.

A larger problem for Hawaii is that they are on the hook for subsidizing visits from conference foes (MWC for football, Big West for everything else) in ALL sports --- be it football or women's volleyball or whatever. That adds up quick for non-football.

1. USC - Blue blood program, will always be primed for potential national championship runs.

2. UCF - Seriously, yes, this high. By all means, they should be THE premier non-power 5 team in the country. Location, location, and location, as well as a huge student body --- the potential for quite a bit of fan support in the future.

3. Maryland - I'd expect them to offer some coach like $5-6MM this year, at least TRY to break the bank. The recruiting area is prime. The potential is there.

4. Miami - If they ever move back down to South Miami (Marlins Park area), they vault to #2. But playing way up where they do is a huge limiting factor.

5. South Carolina - Spurrier only won 1 SEC East title here. You can go 8-4 here, but it's still hard to really break out to the top of the SEC.

6. Virginia Tech - I tend to think they fall into being a mid-tier ACC team in the longer-term future, but Beamer showed it can be done here.

(insert Pittsburgh here :) )

7. Hawaii - June Jones got these guys to TWO Top 25 finishes, 2007 and 2010. Gotta keep the local kids. If they do, it's the only game in town on the islands.

8. Illinois - In a big-state and in the weaker of the B1G's 2 divisions, but really fighting inertia here. No one has tapped that potential for a generation+ now.

9. Minnesota - Pro sports town, Gopher Ice Hockey is more popular than Gopher football. 7-5 and some Music City Bowls is really where this program maxes out.

10. North Texas - Good location but 3rd-tier in terms of people paying attention locally, behind the Big XII schools (1st-tier) and schools like SMU (2nd-tier).

If Maryland did that, they'd be as idiotic as you for suggesting it. First, they don't have that kind of money unless Kevin Plank wants to bankroll them indefinitely. Second, coaches in or near that salary bracket (top 10 by pay) don't change jobs (they simply use the offer to squeeze more money out of current employers. They could offer a coach who makes considerably less that kind of money to take the job, like Arkansas did with Bret Bielema. How's that working out.?

In alphabetical order...

Illinois
Hawaii
Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

I'd actually put Virginia Tech on top of this list. Great recruiting base, it's more out of the critical spotlight than USC and more winnable than South Carolina. Plus the fans are likely to be patient.

Miami is a train wreck I'd want no part of. Unless they build an on campus stadium (not likely), winning there is going to be a major problem no matter who is in charge.

I'd actually put Virginia Tech on top of this list. Great recruiting base, it's more out of the critical spotlight than USC and more winnable than South Carolina. Plus the fans are likely to be patient.

Miami is a train wreck I'd want no part of. Unless they build an on campus stadium (not likely), winning there is going to be a major problem no matter who is in charge.

Agree but I wouldn't touch it even if they did build an on campus stadium.
You've got people like Luther Campbell, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp all putting their 2 cents in and if they don't get their way they are going to pout and make it a living hell...see Al Golden.
And those are only the ones being public about it I'd hate to think whats crawling around that we don't know about.
In a word...RUN!!!!!

Whoever takes the "Da U" job will have the thug FB alums looking over his shoulder per some recent comments. Seems as tho the former players don't trust the administration to get it right re "their" program and it's "traditions" (such as they are). Good luck to whoever takes over.
Do you mean to say that they have former lettermen that might get vocal about how the administration is running things?

That sounds pretty whacked.

Do you mean to say that they have former lettermen that might get vocal about how the administration is running things?

That sounds pretty whacked.

62199577.jpg

In alphabetical order...

Illinois
Hawaii

Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you using the Pitt alphabet? ;)

The Pitt job is better than Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, and UNT. At least Pitt has a remote chance at a conference championship. The 3 Big Ten schools listed are not likely to win one within the next decade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you using the Pitt alphabet? ;)

The Pitt job is better than Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, and UNT. At least Pitt has a remote chance at a conference championship. The 3 Big Ten schools listed are not likely to win one within the next decade.

D'oh! :confused: This is why I need to not trust websites. I copied and pasted that from another site, and just assumed it was alphabetical. That's on me bro.

I'm not a Pitt hater like a lot here, but without an on campus stadium, I'd take all but the NT and Hawaii jobs over Pitt.

Al Golden to UCF would be a killer deal he owns recruiting in the area South Carolina should also
consider him.

Perhaps when UCF gets into a P5 conference, I can't put them into the top 5. Location and recruiting are great, but you'll always be chasing something. It's better then Illinois and Minny primarily due to location. Heck, if a coach wants quality of life, take Hawaii and retire after a 5 year deal.

My list:
1) USC (left coast)-- duh
2) Md.-- B1G, location, UA cash
3) USC (right coast)-- SEC East, any success at all makes you a legend due to low expectations
4) VT-- location, realistic expectations
5) Miami -- crazy alums primary reason, expectations stratospheric
6) UCF-- needs a P5 affiliation, but potential is there -- how they fell so far so fast is a question, though.
7) Hawaii
8) Minny
9) Illinois
10) Why does anyone care about North Texas?

In alphabetical order...

Illinois
Hawaii
Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

I think the guys putting South Carolina in the top 2 or 3 are the most right so far.

They might even belong in the top spot.

That fan base has been extraordinarily patient. May be a sleeping giant there.

Texas - should it open up although I'd give Strong another year.
USC - Blue Blood, fertile recruiting area, weather, history, tradition and co-eds. Kiffin lowered the bar.
Virginia Tech - patient fan base in weak ACC Coastal division.
Virginia - very patient fan base as apparently being bowl eligible is the goal each season in the weak ACC Coastal division.
Georgia - Richt does less with more, underachieves despite a lot of talent.
UCF - weather and weak conference, no expectations for an incoming coach
Miami - Poor fan support, high expectations from alums who want wins at all cost damn academics and recruit thugs in a very fertile recruiting area.
South Carolina - tough to win and to recover in the SEC (ala Tennessee).
Pitt - rates above the Big 10's Illi, Minny and Md because they play in the very weak ACC Coastal Division. Delusional but vocal small fan base; they do say empty barrels make the most noise. Difficult to attract the two million plus theatre-going patrons of the arts in refined cultural area to either the North Shore or Oakland.
Illinois/Minnesota - rate above Maryland only because they're not in the Big 10 East division.
Maryland - in Big 10 East division, severe uphill climb. Good luck with that.
NT
Hawaii

Maryland all the way. They will be the Oregon of the east with the money and commitment UA will put behind them along with the B1G affiliation and TV exposure and $$$. Don't think for second the B1G didn't know what was going on behind the scenes. Enormous potential. They just have to sweep out the dog crap and start from scratch. USC is what it is and will always be. South Carolina is SEC but plays second fiddle to Clemson in that state. Texas and Georgia are huge, too, if they open up. Miami is third leg in Fla....

If UGA is stupid enough to can Richt, then they go into the # 2 spot on this list behind USC.

In alphabetical order...

Illinois
Hawaii
Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

My rankings:

1. USC
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Illinois
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Miami
8. UCF
9. North Texas
10. Hawaii

Good list.

I'd go:

USC
USC (sec)
Maryland
VT
Illinois
Minnesota
[Pitt]
Miami
UCF
Hawaii / North Texas (tie......neither is anything better than a stepping stone into D1 coaching)

I expect Golden will land one of the open jobs.
The rest of the "ousted" coaches will likely either retire or take at least one year off between gigs. (Edsall and Beckman MIGHT land lower level jobs)

Guys who could be moving into the upper level jobs:

Tom Herrman (former OSU OC, in his first year at Houston)

Doug Nussmeier (currently at Florida, title - I believe - of OC)

Justin Fuente (Memphis HC.....good candidate to move into a P5 job)

Brent Venables (DC at Clemson)

Jeff Brohm (Having tremendous success at WKU.....he'd be a top choice for one of the B1G jobs)

Matt Campbell (Head Coach - Toledo)
and
Dino Babers (Head Coach - Bowling Green)
2 MAC Coaches who may be ready for P5 opportunities

Scott Frost's name will probably be mentioned a lot (though the drop-off at Oregon, where he is OC, may temper that a bit)

Cam Cameron (LSU OC....re-tread candidate with some HC experience....kind of a "safety" candidate)

Brian Johnson (QB Coach at Miss State - formerly at Utah.....young guy who might garner some interest as the "next new thing")

Bob Prunty (DC at Cincinnati.....Virginia native known as a recruiter.....could get some mentions at VT - though Foster would probably be higher in the pecking order, or at UVA if they can their guy

Joey Jones (South Alabama HC...gotta' mention Joey, one of the most memorable names/players to ever line up against PSU...Smallish WR for the Bear at Alabama, tore up PSU secondary.....has done a nice job transitioning South Alabama from FCS to FBS)

Total Crapshoot of Who might Land Where:

USC.....They will want a "rock star" - do they go back to the NFL?
USCarolina.....Doug Nussmeier
Maryland.....Tom Herrman
VT.....If they don't promote from within - Jeff Brohm
Illinois.....Cubit may get extended, but Babers or Campbell might be better options.
Minnesota.....Will probably promote from within (which would be a huge mistake IMO)
Miami.....Will anyone want the job? Is Dennis Erickson still alive? (FWIW, I believe he is on the Utah staff)...Would they pull the trigger on a guy like Justin Fuente?
UCF.....???
Hawaii.....Who likes to surf?
North Texas.....Meacham, current OC at TCU

Matt Campbell might be a good choice for either Illinois or Minnesota - if they go "outside"

Venables has a real good chance to get some offers, but I am not sure if any of the current openings are good fits.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT