ADVERTISEMENT

OT/FC: For folks wanting to see 'Hamilton' in DC....public ticket sales announced.

Wow!!!!

Watching the Disney + showing, and following the tweets of @HATM -- what an evening. Many of the top living historians participated in the tweet threads.

If any get a chance to see the play, GO!!!!! The Disney + movie of the play is very nice, but it's so, so, so, so, so much better in person.

And if you get a chance, read a book about Hamilton before you go to the play.

Wow!!!!

Watching the Disney + showing, and following the tweets of @HATM -- what an evening. Many of the top living historians participated in the tweet threads.

If any get a chance to see the play, GO!!!!! The Disney + movie of the play is very nice, but it's so, so, so, so, so much better in person.

You’re like a kid in a candy store, Tom. Right up your alley. Glad you enjoyed it.

Wow!!!!

I don’t know when I’ve seen you this excited! Fun to read the tweets you linked - really, an amazing achievement. I haven’t watched yet but will in a few minutes. And yes, I’m such a theater nerd that I’ll be wearing the shirt I bought at the show.

e370384a5a488f005822026ca64da30d.jpg

Tom I am not even in the same league with you historically but before I posted I looked up Hamilton. "Hamilton not in the slave selling business" So he marries into the Schuyler family and "was involved in the purchase and transfer of slaves" for his n-laws. Does that get him a pass? I also believe i read when he lived in St Croix he also "took over operations" of Beeker and Cuger [spelling?] who were involved in the SLAVE TRADE and sugar cane business.

IMO that qualifies him for some serious review by those folks who today want to look at American history from a perspective of 2020 and not the actual time things occurred.

BTW Do i think Hamilton was pro slavery -NO. Does that mattewr in today's climate -Also NO
Without Hamilton, there would likely not be an America - certainly not as we recognize it...the only country on earth founded on a principled philosophy.

Reactions: roswelllion
You’re like a kid in a candy store, Tom. Right up your alley. Glad you enjoyed it.

I don’t know when I’ve seen you this excited! Fun to read the tweets you linked - really, an amazing achievement. I haven’t watched yet but will in a few minutes. And yes, I’m such a theater nerd that I’ll be wearing the shirt I bought at the show.

You guys kind of nailed it. The play is amazing, so I was already kind of psyched. I also was aware that @HATM would be tweeting during the showing, but I really had no idea (having never participated in @HATM tweets during any other movie) just how amazing that experience would be. Most of the historians of that era that I most respect were participating in the @HATM experience. It was beyond belief -- one would point out a fact, 100s of others would respond with nuances on that fact, etc. I posted in this thread several tweets that struck me during the experience, but I left out 100s of awesome tweets -- it was hard enough to follow the tweets, follow the Disney + showing, and post interesting tweets in this thread. (Some of the original actors, including Lin-Manuel Miranda, were also participating in the tweets.) My wife was joking this morning that she thinks I enjoyed the tweets more than the Disney + showing -- she's probably right; she knows me quite well. ;)

I'm still in awe of what an amazing job Lin-Manuel Miranda did in putting the play. While I've shown in the past that deviations from the historical record can, in movies, really detract from my enjoyment of the production, I don't have that problem with Hamilton.
It gets so much correct, is ingenious with the way it keeps returning to Burr singing the same song about AH, and the events it depicts are such a huge part of our history.

You guys kind of nailed it. The play is amazing, so I was already kind of psyched. I also was aware that @HATM would be tweeting during the showing, but I really had no idea (having never participated in @HATM tweets during any other movie) just how amazing that experience would be. Most of the historians of that era that I most respect were participating in the @HATM experience. It was beyond belief -- one would point out a fact, 100s of others would respond with nuances on that fact, etc. I posted in this thread several tweets that struck me during the experience, but I left out 100s of awesome tweets -- it was hard enough to follow the tweets, follow the Disney + showing, and post interesting tweets in this thread. (Some of the original actors, including Lin-Manuel Miranda, were also participating in the tweets.) My wife was joking this morning that she thinks I enjoyed the tweets more than the Disney + showing -- she's probably right; she knows me quite well. ;)

I'm still in awe of what an amazing job Lin-Manuel Miranda did in putting the play. While I've shown in the past that deviations from the historical record can, in movies, really detract from my enjoyment of the production, I don't have that problem with Hamilton.
It gets so much correct, is ingenious with the way it keeps returning to Burr singing the same song about AH, and the events it depicts are such a huge part of our history.
Sweet.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I watched this (or part of it at least) last night. Hated it. For some reason, I thought I’d like it but it didn’t work for me.

The best part was watching how much fun everyone had on stage despite the show running the entire spectrum of emotion - you can just see it; lots of smiles, winks, smirks - they were having a blast and it was a joy to watch.

I've seen Hamilton and IMO it does not live up to the hype. But maybe because I'm not into hip hop. There really is not one memorable song in the production. The great musicals of our time all have some noteworthy music. Also Miranda is not much of a performer. The other cast members overshadowed his limited singing talent.

Reactions: Nitwit
I've seen Hamilton and IMO it does not live up to the hype. But maybe because I'm not into hip hop. There really is not one memorable song in the production. The great musicals of our time all have some noteworthy music. Also Miranda is not much of a performer. The other cast members overshadowed his limited singing talent.

Agree that Miranda is the weakest performer, which is why he raps a lot more than sings (also not a great dancer). But, when you're 'the man', you get to star in your own musical if you want. I disagree about everything else in your post but hey, at least you gave it a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT