ADVERTISEMENT

OT/FC: For folks wanting to see 'Hamilton' in DC....public ticket sales announced.

Oh, good grief. Seriously? Do I have to draw you a picture? I’m a grown man and got no time for this bullshit. I’m out.
You have fine lines Jim. You should look around and ask yourself what you will put up with and what you won't. But you know that as well.

Chris-DeSean-Lee-Jose-Ramos-Wallace-Smith-Miguel-Cervantes-HAMILTON-Chicago-Company-c-Joan-Marcus-2016-760x428.jpg

The Kennedy Center says tickets for the wildly popular hip-hop musical Hamilton will go on sale to the general public March 26. The Tony-award winning show comes to D.C. for a three-month run starting June 12.

Like the show itself, the ticket-purchasing process is highly choreographed. Here’s what you need to know to maximize your shot at getting seats.

How Much, How Many
Ticket prices are $99, $149, $179 and $199, with some premium seats available for $625. Each performance will also have 40 seats available for $10 each. No details are available on how to nab those.

Each household can purchase no more than four tickets. If you’re a member of the Kennedy Center and already bought tickets during the member priority period, those count toward your household total. You can’t buy four more.

If you’re going to order tickets online, you need to create an account at theKennedy Center websiteahead of time. The Kennedy Center suggests doing this several days in advance. With demand for the tickets expected to be super high, you may not be able to get into the website to create an account on March 25.

When To Log On
Note that the chance to buy tickets will be distributed by random drawing, not a first-come, first-served process. When you go tokennedy-center.orgon March 26, you’ll automatically be placed in an online waiting room. Everyone in the waiting room at 8 a.m. will receive a random place in the queue. There’s no advantage to entering the waiting room page at 3 a.m. versus 7 a.m. But if you enter the waiting room after 8 a.m., you’ll be placed at the back of the line. Once your place in line is assigned, you’ll keep that number as you approach the front of the line.
Hamilton? Founding Father? Hung out with Georgie W? I say cancel him...insensitive!

Reactions: MtNittany
It doesn't come to Philadelphia until August 2019, and they have been less than accommodating to those that just want to see the play.

It was announced last year that it would be coming to Philadelphia. Shortly thereafter, an announcement came out that the only way you could guarantee tickets was to buy a 2017-18 subscription for 7 plays.

This week it was announced that subscription packages for 2018-19, which will include Hamilton, are now on sale. Of course, last year's pronouncement was quickly broken, as there are subscription packages for renewing subscribers, and for new subscribers. (I believe renewing packages are less expensive.)

The programming director at the theater where Hamilton will run said:

"It's very likely that we'll sell out on subscription. But hopefully, we're trying to make as many tickets as possible available as possible. It's a really unprecedented event for us."

(As an aside, read the 2nd sentence in the statement several times. Good grief.)
Only time will tell, but it appears that the Kennedy Center, in D. C., is being a lot more accommodating toward customers than is the Kimmel Center, in Philadelphia.

Are they going to change the name of the play. i actually think they should cancel the show. Wasn't Hamilton's family in the slave selling business.

Reactions: MacNit07
Are they going to change the name of the play. i actually think they should cancel the show. Wasn't Hamilton's family in the slave selling business.

zzz. It's a play about Hamilton, so why would they change the name of the play?

Hamilton's family was not in the slave selling business. He married Elizabeth Schuyler, a member of one of the leading families of New York. The Schuyler family owned slaves, and Hamilton was involved in the purchase and transfer of slaves on behalf of his in-laws, and also for his sister-in-law Angelica, and her husband John Barker Church. (Church spent most of his time in Europe seeking/chasing his fortune, so Hamilton often handled the couple's finances, including the purchase of slaves for them.)

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
zzz. It's a play about Hamilton, so why would they change the name of the play?

Hamilton's family was not in the slave selling business. He married Elizabeth Schuyler, a member of one of the leading families of New York. The Schuyler family owned slaves, and Hamilton was involved in the purchase and transfer of slaves on behalf of his in-laws, and also for his sister-in-law Angelica, and her husband John Barker Church. (Church spent most of his time in Europe seeking/chasing his fortune, so Hamilton often handled the couple's finances, including the purchase of slaves for them.)
Tom I am not even in the same league with you historically but before I posted I looked up Hamilton. "Hamilton not in the slave selling business" So he marries into the Schuyler family and "was involved in the purchase and transfer of slaves" for his n-laws. Does that get him a pass? I also believe i read when he lived in St Croix he also "took over operations" of Beeker and Cuger [spelling?] who were involved in the SLAVE TRADE and sugar cane business.

IMO that qualifies him for some serious review by those folks who today want to look at American history from a perspective of 2020 and not the actual time things occurred.

BTW Do i think Hamilton was pro slavery -NO. Does that mattewr in today's climate -Also NO

Joanne Freeman, one of the leading scholars on AH just tweeted this as part of @HATM (historians at the movies):

AH wasn't an abolitionist. He generally opposed slavery; at 1 point, he was Pres. of the NY Manumission Society. But it wasn't a "mission" for him. His business dealings sometimes involved him in it; his father-in-law, Philip Schuyler, owned enslaved people

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I wasn’t sure about it years ago....and then I saw it. Best live event of its kind I’ve ever seen. Not even close

What’s most interesting to me is that Miranda - a guy who was a budding star in the Broadway scene (having won multiple Tony’s for his first musical - The Heights) - reads Chernow’s book about Hamilton for fun, while on vacation, and thinks - ‘this would make for a great musical!’. I guess that’s why he’s a MacArthur genius.

ADVERTISEMENT