ADVERTISEMENT

OT/FC: For folks wanting to see 'Hamilton' in DC....public ticket sales announced.

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Chris-DeSean-Lee-Jose-Ramos-Wallace-Smith-Miguel-Cervantes-HAMILTON-Chicago-Company-c-Joan-Marcus-2016-760x428.jpg

The Kennedy Center says tickets for the wildly popular hip-hop musical Hamilton will go on sale to the general public March 26. The Tony-award winning show comes to D.C. for a three-month run starting June 12.

Like the show itself, the ticket-purchasing process is highly choreographed. Here’s what you need to know to maximize your shot at getting seats.

How Much, How Many
Ticket prices are $99, $149, $179 and $199, with some premium seats available for $625. Each performance will also have 40 seats available for $10 each. No details are available on how to nab those.

Each household can purchase no more than four tickets. If you’re a member of the Kennedy Center and already bought tickets during the member priority period, those count toward your household total. You can’t buy four more.

If you’re going to order tickets online, you need to create an account at theKennedy Center websiteahead of time. The Kennedy Center suggests doing this several days in advance. With demand for the tickets expected to be super high, you may not be able to get into the website to create an account on March 25.

When To Log On
Note that the chance to buy tickets will be distributed by random drawing, not a first-come, first-served process. When you go tokennedy-center.orgon March 26, you’ll automatically be placed in an online waiting room. Everyone in the waiting room at 8 a.m. will receive a random place in the queue. There’s no advantage to entering the waiting room page at 3 a.m. versus 7 a.m. But if you enter the waiting room after 8 a.m., you’ll be placed at the back of the line. Once your place in line is assigned, you’ll keep that number as you approach the front of the line.

It doesn't come to Philadelphia until August 2019, and they have been less than accommodating to those that just want to see the play.

It was announced last year that it would be coming to Philadelphia. Shortly thereafter, an announcement came out that the only way you could guarantee tickets was to buy a 2017-18 subscription for 7 plays.

This week it was announced that subscription packages for 2018-19, which will include Hamilton, are now on sale. Of course, last year's pronouncement was quickly broken, as there are subscription packages for renewing subscribers, and for new subscribers. (I believe renewing packages are less expensive.)

The programming director at the theater where Hamilton will run said:

"It's very likely that we'll sell out on subscription. But hopefully, we're trying to make as many tickets as possible available as possible. It's a really unprecedented event for us."

(As an aside, read the 2nd sentence in the statement several times. Good grief.)

Only time will tell, but it appears that the Kennedy Center, in D. C., is being a lot more accommodating toward customers than is the Kimmel Center, in Philadelphia.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Here's a cool video from NYT regarding a huge rehearsal studio in NYC which broadway shows use.

There is a nice clip in here of the touring Hamilton cast rehearsing. Also cool - they built the entire turntable stage in the one rehearsal hall exactly to mimic what was used in the original staging.

If they have figured a way to transport and assemble this turntable stage effect, then I think that Hamilton will be very close to what the show looks and performs in NYC.

Chris-DeSean-Lee-Jose-Ramos-Wallace-Smith-Miguel-Cervantes-HAMILTON-Chicago-Company-c-Joan-Marcus-2016-760x428.jpg

The Kennedy Center says tickets for the wildly popular hip-hop musical Hamilton will go on sale to the general public March 26. The Tony-award winning show comes to D.C. for a three-month run starting June 12.

Like the show itself, the ticket-purchasing process is highly choreographed. Here’s what you need to know to maximize your shot at getting seats.

How Much, How Many
Ticket prices are $99, $149, $179 and $199, with some premium seats available for $625. Each performance will also have 40 seats available for $10 each. No details are available on how to nab those.

Each household can purchase no more than four tickets. If you’re a member of the Kennedy Center and already bought tickets during the member priority period, those count toward your household total. You can’t buy four more.

If you’re going to order tickets online, you need to create an account at theKennedy Center websiteahead of time. The Kennedy Center suggests doing this several days in advance. With demand for the tickets expected to be super high, you may not be able to get into the website to create an account on March 25.

When To Log On
Note that the chance to buy tickets will be distributed by random drawing, not a first-come, first-served process. When you go tokennedy-center.orgon March 26, you’ll automatically be placed in an online waiting room. Everyone in the waiting room at 8 a.m. will receive a random place in the queue. There’s no advantage to entering the waiting room page at 3 a.m. versus 7 a.m. But if you enter the waiting room after 8 a.m., you’ll be placed at the back of the line. Once your place in line is assigned, you’ll keep that number as you approach the front of the line.
Jeez, not like it’s springsteen on Broadway.

How Much, How Many

When To Log On
Thanks for the heads up, buddy... much appreciated!

Here's a cool video from NYT regarding a huge rehearsal studio in NYC which broadway shows use.

There is a nice clip in here of the touring Hamilton cast rehearsing. Also cool - they built the entire turntable stage in the one rehearsal hall exactly to mimic what was used in the original staging.

If they have figured a way to transport and assemble this turntable stage effect, then I think that Hamilton will be very close to what the show looks and performs in NYC.

I saw it in November. I can honestly say, despite all the hype, it exceeded my expectations. It is astoundingly good and well worth it IMHO.

How Much, How Many

When To Log On

He should have fouled at the end there... going to get fired.

LdN

Each performance will also have 40 seats available for $10 each. No details are available on how to nab those.

When I registered with the Kennedy Center, there was a link to a facebook page about Hamilton. I'm thinking that this might be where you got the info you posted. Anyway, I saw that the $10 seats are in the orchestra. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing... on one hand you will likely be close to the stage, but it would also be quite noisy at times I think. The facebook page did not say whether there was a special process to purchase these or they would be available the say way the other tickets are sold.

When I registered with the Kennedy Center, there was a link to a facebook page about Hamilton. I'm thinking that this might be where you got the info you posted. Anyway, I saw that the $10 seats are in the orchestra. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing... on one hand you will likely be close to the stage, but it would also be quite noisy at times I think. The facebook page did not say whether there was a special process to purchase these or they would be available the say way the other tickets are sold.

We’re in the queue now - about 8,000 ahead of us. I tried on another device and there are some 40,000 ahead of us. Just hoping for some decent seats for under $200 each.

Good luck!

Update: Got two orchestra seats for $408.00:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I did eventually get tickets, but not until after 8:00 last night. Despite registering with the Kennedy Center Sunday night, I completely missed the boat Monday morning when I should have logged in and got a spot in line. By the time I acted, I was like 70,000th in line or something crazy like that. I did get tickets for an agreeable date, but was hoping for the $99 seats.

We have tickets for a Saturday matinee. Does anyone have any suggestions for where we could have a nice dinner afterwards?

Well, I did eventually get tickets, but not until after 8:00 last night. Despite registering with the Kennedy Center Sunday night, I completely missed the boat Monday morning when I should have logged in and got a spot in line. By the time I acted, I was like 70,000th in line or something crazy like that. I did get tickets for an agreeable date, but was hoping for the $99 seats.

We have tickets for a Saturday matinee. Does anyone have any suggestions for where we could have a nice dinner afterwards?

What kind of food do you like or experience are you going for? Budget? There isn’t anything within walking distance to the Kennnedy Center so you’ll have to cab it either way. Let me know and I’ll get you some recommendations.

What kind of food do you like or experience are you going for? Budget? There isn’t anything within walking distance to the Kennnedy Center so you’ll have to cab it either way. Let me know and I’ll get you some recommendations.
I like just about anything, from hole in the wall bbq to fancy French cuisine. My wife is harder to please. She doesn’t appreciate overly fancy/fussy food, and certainly doesn’t see the value of this high end food. but certainly enjoys food that tastes good. The one meal that she raves about was a blackened steak with blue cheese crust that she had at Bedford springs resort with her mom. I think the best compromise for us is a Gastropoda, where she can be comfortable with the simpleish menu, and I can apppreciate the quality of the food.

Since there isn’t anything close, maybe we’ll just find something on the way home. We are driving down and back, not spending the night.

I like just about anything, from hole in the wall bbq to fancy French cuisine. My wife is harder to please. She doesn’t appreciate overly fancy/fussy food, and certainly doesn’t see the value of this high end food. but certainly enjoys food that tastes good. The one meal that she raves about was a blackened steak with blue cheese crust that she had at Bedford springs resort with her mom. I think the best compromise for us is a Gastropoda, where she can be comfortable with the simpleish menu, and I can apppreciate the quality of the food.

Since there isn’t anything close, maybe we’ll just find something on the way home. We are driving down and back, not spending the night.
Any of the Jose andres tapas restaurants in penn quarter are fun.
Rays the steaks in Arlington.
Chef Geoff’s up by American u.

Last edited:
for those that didn't want to shell out the big bucks, or those that live in/near a city where the play has not yet had a run, it appears you'll have an alternative

Thanks Tom. I’m not typically a fan of musicals, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Paint your Wagon being the exceptions. I saw Hamilton in DC and loved it. My wife listens to the DVD all the time and sings/hums the songs. She has said that she wished she could stream Hamilton during the quarantine.... she now has her wish.

Thanks Tom. I’m not typically a fan of musicals, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Paint your Wagon being the exceptions. I saw Hamilton in DC and loved it. My wife listens to the DVD all the time and sings/hums the songs. She has said that she wished she could stream Hamilton during the quarantine.... she now has her wish.

Where did you end up eating? I just now see I forgot to respond to you! Sorry about that!

Reactions: Ranger Dan

How Much, How Many

When To Log On

It was supposed to be at the Hippodrome in Bmore but I think it got covid'ed.

I’ll remember that the next time you start a Weekend Jukebox, Watcha Got? thread. No, I won’t; it’s just plain rude to make a thread all about oneself for no reason at all.

Right? What’s the thought process here - ‘Hey - Hamilton? I don’t really have any interest in that. Still, let’s see what they’re talking about...okay, show in DC, people seem to want to see this - ah, restaurant recommendations for near the Kennedy Center...oh, and Disney is releasing a movie version. Great. Now, let me tell them how disinterested in this I am....’.

I’ll remember that the next time you start a Weekend Jukebox, Watcha Got? thread. No, I won’t; it’s just plain rude to make a thread all about oneself for no reason at all.
Not sure what one has to do w/ the other. I wouldn't have made the post, but no need to excoriate the guy for being ambivalent about a musical.

Reactions: psu7113
For an enhanced viewing experience, follow the tweets of Historians At The Movies during the showing on July 3rd. Joanne Freeman will be part of the historians participating, and few if any living historians are more versed in Hamilton than she is. In fact, while Chernow's book was the foundation upon which Lin-Manuel Miranda based the play, there are several lines in the play that came from Freeman's research.

For an enhanced viewing experience, follow the tweets of Historians At The Movies during the showing on July 3rd. Joanne Freeman will be part of the historians participating, and few if any living historians are more versed in Hamilton than she is. In fact, while Chernow's book was the foundation upon which Lin-Manuel Miranda based the play, there are several lines in the play that came from Freeman's research.

Oh, thank goodness the Schuyler Sisters aren’t around today...’Look around, look around - how lucky we are to be alive right now...!’ - sigh. Can’t wait to see this.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Not sure what one has to do w/ the other. I wouldn't have made the post, but no need to excoriate the guy for being ambivalent about a musical.

LionJim said “then why bother responding.” That’s how you define excoriate?

LionJim said “then why bother responding.” That’s how you define excoriate?
Just to be sure - you're attacking me for defending someone else who (in your mind) attacked someone else on a message board? I'm not sure what you people want. For me to get on my knees and thank the Lord for this musical?

Reactions: psu7113
Just to be sure - you're attacking me for defending someone else who (in your mind) attacked someone else on a message board? I'm not sure what you people want. For me to get on my knees and thank the Lord for this musical?
No. He’s suggesting that your use of the word “excoriate” in this situation did not accurately describe the tone of my own response. And he didn’t attack you, not at all. And, third, what he said had nothing to do with Hamilton. But you knew all that.

ADVERTISEMENT