ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fascinating Grantland article on the death of Steve Prefontaine.

One of Prefontaine main rivals was Penn State's own Greg Fredericks. Prefontaine won four NCAA three mile championships from 1970-73 with Fredericks coming in fifth ('70), second ('71), and second ('72). Greg had graduated when Prefontaine won his fourth in 1973.

This pic is from the '72 championship.

4176978732_23ece87922_b-705x1024.jpg

Prefontaine-Fredericks.png

Reactions: fairgambit
One of Prefontaine main rivals was Penn State's own Greg Fredericks. Prefontaine won four NCAA three mile championships from 1970-73 with Fredericks coming in fifth ('70), second ('71), and second ('72). Greg had graduated when Prefontaine won his fourth in 1973.
Back then distance running was a big deal. I remember screaming my head off watching Marty Liquori beat Jim Ryun in the mile at Franklin Field, in 1971.

Greg Fredericks, gee, I hadn't thought of him in eons.

Got to this thread late. The high school 2 mile record is held by Prefontaine. The 2nd fastest 2 mile time in high school was by Penn State's Alan Scharsu (8:44.0 to Prefontaine's 8:41.0). Scharsu also set the 2 mile world record for a 16 year old. I can say I had the pleasure of watching Alan run in high school as I was on the track team of a high school in his conference and competed in many of the same meets (but I was hurdler and long jumper). He was simply amazing, pretty much sprinting all laps in his events- the mile and the 2 mile.

ADVERTISEMENT