ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ex employer keeps calling me

BeaverLion

Sep 14, 2019
So I worked at a company in a IT role for several years, about a year ago I left for a similar job at another company for more money. Now my former employee is still contacting me about stuff I worked on, future projects etc.. I did give them the benefit the first few months and did talk to them and tried to help, but honestly a year later and it's starting to be a pain. In fact some times I get calls on weekends. I have spoken out and told the people calling who are just staff people to go to the supervisor and I still get calls. I have talked to my former boss and it still happens. Has anyone have had this happen?

Thanks

So I worked at a company in a IT role for several years, about a year ago I left for a similar job at another company for more money. Now my former employee is still contacting me about stuff I worked on, future projects etc.. I did give them the benefit the first few months and did talk to them and tried to help, but honestly a year later and it's starting to be a pain. In fact some times I get calls on weekends. I have spoken out and told the people calling who are just staff people to go to the supervisor and I still get calls. I have talked to my former boss and it still happens. Has anyone have had this happen?

Thanks
Tell them you will be sending a consultant agreement including significant renumeration. That will stop the calls.

Why are you answering? This is your issue now and not there’s at this point in time. Just tell them politely and professionally that you no longer work there and to stop calling and hang up. Is there a reason you are not just doing that?

Why are you answering? This is your issue now and not there’s at this point in time. Just tell them politely and professionally that you no longer work there and to stop calling and hang up. Is there a reason you are not just doing that?

Read the post stupid.. I have done that.

You must have been a nice guy when you worked there. Even after you're gone they think, "Call BeaverLion and ask him. He won't mind. He's a pretty cool guy." I don't know how well you know the people who call but if you don't mind offending them, get rude. Say, "Stop facking calling me. If you're too damn incompetent to figure things out for yourself then there's not much I can do for you."

Reactions: 4IUSox2

Thanks
Send them a big bill for your time.

Read the post stupid.. I have done that.

where did you say why you are answering? Because ‘you worked there’ isn’t a reason to continually answer a previous employer. It is a reason you are a sucker who wastes time answer questions he should not be answering and then complaining about it on this board.

Reactions: IIVI and BBrown

Thanks
I overheard a guy (my boss at the time) tell the guy on the phone that the first one was free, but you’ll have to pay for any more... sounds like advice that would apply in your situation

Correct answer is above. Instead of sending them a bill, send them a contract with a very high rate. Make the number one that will allow you to comfortably answer the phone. Don't answer till they sign and let them know you won't when you send the contract.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
This reminds me of a story about DC super lawyer Clark Clifford in The Best and the Brightest. The way I remember it, someone informally asked him for some advice and Clifford told him to do nothing. The next day the guy got a bill from Clifford, for $2000. The guy was pissed so he called up Clifford and asked why he should do nothing. “Because I said so.” The next day, another bill for $2000. (A lot of coin sixty years ago.)

A simple "I don't work there anyomore you need to figure it out for yourself" should suffice and just repeat it every time they call and never say anything more - I would think they shortly would get the hint.

I like the idea of politely telling them that you've helped for a year, which has satisfied your view of being a good former employee and friend. Moving forward, that will be at $200/hour.

Secondly, in IT, you've got to be careful. If you make a recommendation that is implemented and does some kind of damage, it can come back on you. Tell them that you are concerned about your legal liability and cannot take the risk. They'll never know the difference.

You don't want to be rude or burn bridges. So contact the supervisor and let him / her know you no longer work there and aren't getting compensated for your time. Then offer to put them on retainer so you can be compensated for the inconvenience. Then charge them $50 per call plus $50 per each half hour (so $100 min per call). Make it a professional arrangement so you get paid but don't burn bridges.

A simple "I don't work there anyomore you need to figure it out for yourself" should suffice and just repeat it every time they call and never say anything more - I would think they shortly would get the hint.
I haven't read the entire stream so probably already mentioned. Suggest how much you enjoyed working with your former company and you would be happy to continue providing support on a consulting basis at an hourly rate of $XX with invoices being submitted an the end of each month. Further suggest please get this approved by senior management, a simple confirming email will confirm and then I would be happy to help.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned BL’s current employer may not look kindly on another employment/consulting arrangement other than theirs. Something to consider.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Set up your phone so all calls from your prior employer are automatically forwarded to Warren in the Big (2)(12) office.

Thanks

It's a tough situation because you probably have a lot of friends in that group of people calling you.
I would suggest you let the old company know that given you now work for a new company you can no longer assist them without a formal contract.
And a formal contract would need to be approved by your new company (should you not be interested in the additional income)

Then say if they call again you'll have to tell them you cannot help.

LdN

where did you say why you are answering? Because ‘you worked there’ isn’t a reason to continually answer a previous employer. It is a reason you are a sucker who wastes time answer questions he should not be answering and then complaining about it on this board.

I clearly said I have spoken out about it and talked to my former supervisor and it still happens.

Sorry about being rude, but just asking for advice

I clearly said I have spoken out about it and talked to my former supervisor and it still happens.

Sorry about being rude, but just asking for advice
In all seriousness, it's time to be rude to him. You've said everything that you can say and he still calls you. It will continue until you put a stop to it. Tell him again, say you can't speak to him again, follow that up in an email to him and his supervisor. At this point you can't really worry about burning bridges.

No one here has a solution that doesn't involve that you stopping taking his calls.

I am in IT and have been for 20+ years, tell them to get their shit together and hire someone who can figure it out. Is their IT department that inept that they can't troubleshoot and figure things out for themselves? No wonder you moved on. I would definitely think a consulting contract should be negotiated and put in place. You should have a rate for normal business hour calls and a rate for non-business hours/weekend calls. Yes, former employees always say, hey you can contact me with any questions but that it usually for a few months after they leave not a year after. It would be embarrassing having to call someone a year after they left for help, I would always figure it out or come up with an alternative.

Reactions: PSUfiji

Thanks

Hopefully you're not doing this while on your new employer's time.

Block the calls or stop answering. Eventually they will get the message.

Thanks
block their number or get a new one

ADVERTISEMENT