ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ex employer keeps calling me

You have to be very careful about disclosing IP/trade secrets from your current employer to your former employer. I would talk to HR and in house counsel about this. I'm sure they will tell you to stop communicating with your former employer and any subsequent communications should be referred to HR and/or in house counsel.

Reactions: PSUfiji
Easy solution. Next time they call simply tell them they are stupid. That will go over like a lead balloon and I'll bet the calls stop. 😆

• Haha
“Just say NO....and hang up!”

Repeat as necessary!

AND / OR

Call the owner or Pres of your prior company and let him know what’s going on.

Correct answer is above. Instead of sending them a bill, send them a contract with a very high rate. Make the number one that will allow you to comfortably answer the phone. Don't answer till they sign and let them know you won't when you send the contract.
Sounds like what a guy I knew did when he charged people for Auto body work. He called it headache rate. If he knew the job was going to be very labor intensive and or just a pain in the backside, he'd charge a high enough rate, that if they accepted the job, he'd do it with a smile.

No conflict of interest with the new employer, right?

Charge them $80 per hour. Make it worth your while.

You're cheap. I told him to charge $50 per call and $50 per 30 minutes. So that's $100 to call from 1 minute to 30 minutes. And as soon as the clock passes the 30 minute mark, another $50 gets added. And he should get the money up front and be on retainer, not invoicing them. If he invoices them, they will argue line items. If they pay up front, they can argue, but won't win if they want to keep him on call.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned BL’s current employer may not look kindly on another employment/consulting arrangement other than theirs. Something to consider.
Sounds like what a guy I knew did when he charged people for Auto body work. He called it headache rate. If he knew the job was going to be very labor intensive and or just a pain in the backside, he'd charge a high enough rate, that if they accepted the job, he'd do it with a smile.

No conflict of interest with the new employer, right?
A headache rate is exactly what it is. I see posts at $80/hr (I wouldn't get out of bed for that rate) or $450/hr. Point is, whatever the rate BL sets, he needs to be willing to do the work for that rate. Otherwise suck it up and tell them no.
I'm assuming the work is done off hours, which his current employer has no right to object and another reason for a much higher rate than normally charged. My personal time is much more expensive than work time.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Good point made, you give them advice that goes wrong, they can come after you. so not only are you giving them free advice, you are putting your own self at risk of a lawsuit for providing them free stuff. i would literally just stop today. don't answer the call and send it to voicemail a few times and they will get the message. if you answer by accident, just say that you are not answering questions anymore as don't work there and hang up.

So I worked at a company in a IT role for several years, about a year ago I left for a similar job at another company for more money. Now my former employee is still contacting me about stuff I worked on, future projects etc.. I did give them the benefit the first few months and did talk to them and tried to help, but honestly a year later and it's starting to be a pain. In fact some times I get calls on weekends. I have spoken out and told the people calling who are just staff people to go to the supervisor and I still get calls. I have talked to my former boss and it still happens. Has anyone have had this happen?

Thanks
The next time someone calls you, ask them what they’re wearing.

Reactions: bison13 and Fac
Just tell them you no longer work there and don't have time to help them out. If they persist let them know your new employer doesn’t permit you to perform work for anyone else and it would be a violation of your employment agreement.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
So I worked at a company in a IT role for several years, about a year ago I left for a similar job at another company for more money. Now my former employee is still contacting me about stuff I worked on, future projects etc.. I did give them the benefit the first few months and did talk to them and tried to help, but honestly a year later and it's starting to be a pain. In fact some times I get calls on weekends. I have spoken out and told the people calling who are just staff people to go to the supervisor and I still get calls. I have talked to my former boss and it still happens. Has anyone have had this happen?

Thanks

Send former company bill for consulting at a reasonable price of say $250+/hour plus expenses. Minimum charge per call is one hour during normal business hours. Double for evenings; triple for weekends (more if called during PSU sporting event); quadruple for holidays. Payment is due by close of business on the last business day of the month. Late payment will be assessed at rate 1.5% per month on outstanding balance.

You should say something like "John its been more than a year since I've worked there. I'm sure there have been significant changes to the environment in that time. That being so I no longer feel qualified to provide input on the environment. I won't be answering your calls anymore, for your sake or mine".

Thanks
Agree, send them a bill or setup a way to bill them some exorbitant consulting fee.

I clearly said I have spoken out about it and talked to my former supervisor and it still happens.

Sorry about being rude, but just asking for advice
Simply tell the next caller that for legal liability reasons you are no longer able to provide assistance. If you can't do this, then you are the problem. You're allowing yourself to be taken advantage of.

Accepting compensation for your assistance might violate your currently employer's employment policy...i.e. working for a competitor.

Perhaps, you are already in trouble with your current employer. In IT, or in business in general, trade secrets are very important. By passing on your potentially new expertise to former employer, you may have inadvertently passed on trade secrets of current employer. If I am your supervisor, I am immediately dismissing you and say good bye for good. Moreover, I will warn you with a legal notice not to pass on current job secrets.

Thanks
Tell them you would be glad to help as soon as they open up a purchase order for $10k and you will bill them at at an agreed to hourly rate you are ok with. Of course weekends are triple time

Reactions: psu1969a

Thanks
[/QUOTE

Tell them you are buried with your new job and just don’t have time for these calls.....Don’t enable them.

1. Tell the former co-workers to post their questions on the AKB.
2. Beaver Lion, you must be a good guy to be in this dilemma in the first place.
3. I frickin' LOVE this thread.

:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT