ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Eagles to sign Maxwell and Frank Gore

Not bad business, though Maxwell's a bit risky...

With the way deals were being finalized, the Eagles had to be aggressive in negotiations. Either way, they're getting Alonso, Maxwell and Gore for not too much more than McCoy was slated to count against the cap. That's a pretty big bet upgrade in overall impact - especially on defense.

Reminds me of the Stephen Jackson signing by the Falcons a few years ago. Atlanta thought they had their RB who would help put them in the SB. Didn't work out that way. Gore may not have anything left in the tank either.

Doubt that Gore is being counted on as the only solution...

I see the team making at least one more move at RB this offseason or next.

Lots of RBs in this draft

I think they draft one in mid rounds while continuing to look for an OL, and an OLB who can replace Cole via free agency. A couple of good candidates are being rumored to be involved in negotiations now. Signing Maclin, trading for Marriota, and using the draft to build depth would make this a pretty interesting team. I'd like to see a big possession type receiver join this team, but not sure that fits Kelly's system.

I still think the McCoy trade was to to set up an "all in for Mariota". We shall see. Other than that WHY trade away your offense ?? Despite the fact that Mccoy is one of the best RBs in the league EVEN the threat of his getting the ball made the passing game WAY better. Without him AND a non-mobile QB ???? Kind of a mess, unless you get Mariota and "rebuild".

Possible but there are other factors. Kelly wasn't a big fan of the east west style of McCoy and he was due a lot of money. Money they can use on a secondary.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

McCoy's days as an all-Pro were over

It's not like they were letting go of an all-pro back. McCoy is 80% of the back he was at his peak. He only started to look like McCoy late last season and then only in flashes. He is still a legitimate NFL back but it is not worth premium money. He is the kind of back that teams like Buffalo overpay for.

The Maxwell deal shows Kelly is willing to pay top dollar for a player in his prime. That's worth paying real money because it's not just a great athlete, it's an athlete who will provide leadership and make the rest of the secondary better. Like what Revis meant to the Patriots. Cary Williams is never really going to be a leader in that way.

The other thing to keep in mind is that super bowls have not been won recently by teams built on expensive free agents. Pats and Seattle are both system teams, teams that got there with a few star players along with a ton of players who were recruited and trained for a system. A player like Edelman is only going to happen in New England. Kelly needs to find his Edelman and he will the longer he stays in Philly. Likewise that Seattle defense is built mostly on low draft picks and undrafted free agents. Carroll just coaches the hell out of them.

GMs spend a ton of money on free agents because they can and because it looks bad to do nothing. But that isn't how you win. The players who really make a difference are the players found and then trained by great coaches.

Resigning Sanchez too!!!

Think that maxwell contract is going to turn out badly. Lot of money for a guy who was a #2 corner in a fantastic situation

Originally posted by Alphabets:
Gore=awful? Some of you morons need your head examined.

No Eagles fan but that is a great signing. Cheap contract and he actually had a higher YPC than McCoy last year. He is a borderline HoFer already. A few more years and he is in. Yep, he's awful. Don't know what that guy was talking about.

Exactly. Obviously he and McCoy are at different ends of their career, but to say Gore is awful even at this point is ludicrous. He's still very productive. And not to jinx him, but he's never injured, unlike McCoy. Very tough, durable back.

Yep.

Chris Mortenson apparently tweeted a while ago that Maclin is set to rejoin Andy Reid on Tuesday. Maclin is from Mizzou so I guess that makes sense. If I were an Eagles fan that would scare me.

Gore, is a good running back. But Not, better than McCoy.

With that being said, it's my understanding that this draft is suppose to be a running back rich draft. Albeit, probably not a single running back in the draft, more talented than McCoy.

I'll just be 100% Honest, with u guys. As a die-hard Giants fan, myself. I'm relieved, to see McCoy being shipped out of Philly, myself!

Kelly is an arrogant guy, one that I would enjoy seeing go down in flames. Eagle fans are just the ones to do it.

Very disappointing...

Maclin was a good fit in Kelly's system. Without many other marquee WRs on the market, the Eagles are back to where they were last offseason in terms of needs at the position. No way can Matthews, Cooper and Huff carry things on their own.

Cooper???? Really???? Gore??? Really.? So we go from McCoy/Macklin too Gore/Cooper !!!! Gore is what 106 years old? and Cooper runs the 40 in just under an hour?
Let the season begin !!!

I think Chip has BEGUN his "rebuild". In short, his first two years was waiting for Mariota. As an Eagles fan that is the ONLY scenario that makes ANY sense, Assuming Kelly has sense :)

Re: Cooper is very fast...he just can't catch*

I don't get it. The eagles are worse today than they were a month ago.

Re: Cooper is very fast...he just can't catch*

Maxwell better start getting himself into super cardio shape because any cornerback for the Eagles will be on the field 70% of the game. Unless Kelly gets an offense that can eliminate the three and outs that killed their defense last year. Wait and see what Cary Williams does somewhere else when he's on a team where he can get a breather every once in a while. He will be a better than average defensive player. This is going to be fun to watch.

Gore is steady(1000 yds 9 of last 10 seasons) and Polk and Sproles will get more carries. He has already signed Maxwell and is not done in free agency yet. If he picks up another good defensive backfield free agent the defense will be much better. They have plenty of cap money and I don't think Kelly is going to shorthand himself. I don't buy he is shooting for a rebuilding year. The draft is deep in running backs and I think they are not done here by a long shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT