ADVERTISEMENT

M

I’m curious on the boards sentiments of campus/town police using cooperative informants to make drug arrests for weed?

I just read a story where a school busted a bunch of students, faculty and staff for weed using cooperating informants.

Weed?...Common!

I can’t believe we are still fighting this silly war on weed. All the while 65,000 Americans are dying from heroine and percsrption opiates

I get that if you're LE and stumble on to some weed during your normal course of the day, you feel some pressure to act (after all, it is the law, even if stupid law).

But to go out of your way, and spend valuable resources (PDs always cry that they're under staffed and funded), to find and bust people for weed-related offenses? To me, that's the PD sending a message to its municipality that it's got cash to burn, and I would want their appropriations cut.

These are lifetime consequences. A drug arrest and the kid can forget about something like 200 careers. If it's selling heroin or meth, ok, but weed...

I've talked about this with my kids, I think it would be really good if pot could not only be legalized but replace alcohol as the drug of choice among college students. We'd see a lot fewer dead fraternity brothers, we'd see a lot fewer drunk driving incidents and people jumping off buildings and getting in fights. We'd see a lot less vomit in alleyways and drunk students uriniating in people's yards in State College.

And we'd see a lot fewer very difficult sexual assault cases involving young women who were either raped while passed out or willingly had sex while so drunk they can't remember in the morning what happened. If pot were the drug of choice, most of this stuff just would not exist. Yeah, stoned people still make bad decisions, but it usually involves excessive ice cream, not crime.

I know police have their job to do, but as a public health policy, arresting people for pot is just a phenomenal waste of resources in order to basically ruin a young person's life. The cost is extremely high and it is hard to see any benefit whatsoever.

I’m curious on the boards sentiments of campus/town police using cooperative informants to make drug arrests for weed?

I just read a story where a school busted a bunch of students, faculty and staff for weed using cooperating informants.

Weed?...Common!

I can’t believe we are still fighting this silly war on weed. All the while +60,000 Americans died last year from heroine and percsrption opiates. Or a kid can drink themselves into an alcohol coma with no problem as long as they are 21.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't try to bust people for weed. They bust people for selling cigarettes to minors... even sending kids into stores to purchase and deliberately trying to take advantage of cashiers.

They shut down bars on St. Patrick's Day count people and force everyone to show ID before they can leave.

They bust people for going 10 MPH over the limit on open stretches of highway with no other cars in sight.

Seems this fits right in. Weed is illegal. It's time for people to understand that and not think it deserves special treatment. Police will do anything to make a buck.

LdN

Seems this fits right in. Weed is illegal. It's time for people to understand that and not think it deserves special treatment. Police will do anything to make a buck.

It's a really good point. I used to have this civics textbook idea about law enforcement. But then came the Ferguson MO protests -- and the subsequent reporting really exposed how much of the law enforcement activity in the St. Louis suburbs (i.e. most of it) was simply, at its core, a racket to shake down poor people for what little money they had. Had absolutely nothing to do with making those communities safer. The other one that got me was that poor guy shot in his car in front of his girlfriend outside Minnesota -- he was just a law abiding working stiff and he'd been pulled over something like 56 times over the last 10 years to get 3 minor traffic tickets. But he was black and drove the wrong kind of car that signaled to police he'd be a good target. The guy died basically for ticket quotas.

It is immoral and unconstitutional how weed users are discriminated against in this society.

Actually

weed enforcement is used as a political tool to suppress political voices.

Busted for Weed = felony = no vote = no voice = minority populace = maintain majority politics.

Nixon, Haldeman & Justice Powell figured it out 40+ yrs ago.
Wow.

Right?!

That's what I too said when I finally learned/understood that.
The numbers don't add up. 1) not enough pot arrests over the years to make a dent in any election and 2) a lot of pot smokers didn't/don't vote anyway.

One kid was busted for selling his own script of Aderall.

This is Barney Fife territory.
Are you saying you should be allowed to sell your own prescription? That makes no sense and makes your argument on weed appear you just want everything legal.

Legalizing marijuana - and immediately releasing all persons currently imprisoned for marijuana offenses and commuting the sentences of those who were previously imprisoned - is as much a moral issue as it is a legal, economic, and financial issue.

The numbers don't add up. 1) not enough pot arrests over the years to make a dent in any election and 2) a lot of pot smokers didn't/don't vote anyway.
Every pot smoker I know votes. Where did you get your stats?

Without getting too political, both sides of the aisle benefit from it being illegal. It’s a galvanization tool. If it’s legal the left loses enthusiasm from a core constituency. Claiming it’s a dangerous drug, immoral, and should be prosecuted gets the right riled up. Win win for politicians, loss for the people.

No I’m not saying that. I’m pointing out a reality that my kid clued me in on. Kids today use/share aderall just to help them consentrate and study. It’s so common especially in academically competitive environments; high schools, and universities. The kids are looking for an edge that will enable them to succeed.

I guess my point is simple is this drug causing harm? Harm to the kid or harm to the community? Shouldn’t we be spending scarce tax dollars on the most destructive drugs; opiates and heroine?

I kind of laugh that you think our tax dollars are scarce.

But more importantly I laugh that you think they are scarce enough that we shouldn't combat kids sharing prescription meds like Aderall as if it's skittles.

And some of you wonder why we have an opioid epidemic.

LdN

Reactions: wrm125
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT