ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dog with ARVC - anyone have experience with RFCA?

pennstatefan111

Jan 4, 2005
My 5.5 year old Yellow Lab, Kona, has been diagnosed with significant heart issues, suspected to be ARVC (Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy), which is usually related to Boxers, along with a severely enlarged Right Vent and Atrium. Although she’s only registered 5% Boxer on her Embark, I’ve come to know it does affect other breeds like Labs.

She suddenly developed a significant arrhythmia which didn’t show up during her full vet checkup in late November. She fainted on the beach after a mildly active walk. At the cardiologists office, her heart was beating close to 400 BPM on the EKG with a ventricular tachycardia (VT). She was treated with Solalol and it immediately brought her VT down and she went for an overnight EKG, blood work, and blood gases.

Blood work didn’t show any abnormalities and she didn’t show any VT over the 24 period which was very comforting, but she still has ventricular premature complexes (VPCs) showing on the EKG so the medicine has not fully resolved her heart issues. She’s going on a Holter monitor this Monday for further monitoring.

U of Penn Vet has a procedure for correcting the electrical issues called radiofrequency catheter ablation (RFCA) but I don’t even know if she’s a candidate for any procedures of this nature yet.

Any pet owners experienced something similar with ARVC diagnosis?
Any further tests that parents have requested beyond the typical that have provided answers?
Anyone have experience with the RFCA procedure?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide for my beautiful girl Kona.

My 5.5 year old Yellow Lab, Kona, has been diagnosed with significant heart issues, suspected to be ARVC (Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy), which is usually related to Boxers, along with a severely enlarged Right Vent and Atrium. Although she’s only registered 5% Boxer on her Embark, I’ve come to know it does affect other breeds like Labs.

She suddenly developed a significant arrhythmia which didn’t show up during her full vet checkup in late November. She fainted on the beach after a mildly active walk. At the cardiologists office, her heart was beating close to 400 BPM on the EKG with a ventricular tachycardia (VT). She was treated with Solalol and it immediately brought her VT down and she went for an overnight EKG, blood work, and blood gases.

Blood work didn’t show any abnormalities and she didn’t show any VT over the 24 period which was very comforting, but she still has ventricular premature complexes (VPCs) showing on the EKG so the medicine has not fully resolved her heart issues. She’s going on a Holter monitor this Monday for further monitoring.

U of Penn Vet has a procedure for correcting the electrical issues called radiofrequency catheter ablation (RFCA) but I don’t even know if she’s a candidate for any procedures of this nature yet.

Any pet owners experienced something similar with ARVC diagnosis?
Any further tests that parents have requested beyond the typical that have provided answers?
Anyone have experience with the RFCA procedure?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide for my beautiful girl Kona.
I've actually had the ablation procedure for a type of arrhythmia. Not a big deal to have done--but made a big difference to me.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I've actually had the ablation procedure for a type of arrhythmia. Not a big deal to have done--but made a big difference to me.
Glad to hear it’s helped you. We’re awaiting analysis of her halter monitor results to see if she’s a candidate or not.

ADVERTISEMENT