ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Does any store sell non skinny pants anymore?

Uhm....not if you're retired, active, and living in a warm climate. No cotton, which is comfortable but heavy and does not handle moisture well. Can't remember the last time I wore a suit. Can't remember the last funeral or formal wedding I attended.

I'm looking for loose wick-away stuff, and shirts with collars that will look good (at a golf club) and provide sun protection. There's limited selection for long sleeve polo shirts that meet this spec, and as has been stated, pants are becoming an increasing problem. Stuff that won't immediately fall apart is not cheap. I tend to shop at places like REI, Bass Pro, and the like.
These golf sites often have great shirts on sale-TGW, ROCK BOTTOM GOLF, GOLF ANYTHING, GLOBAL GOLF. The Adidas 365 golf shorts with some elastic flex can't be beat. Adidas 365 is also a great golf pant with stretch that can be worn as a casual slack.

Last edited:
I did notice a change in fit in many items and some larger sizes were not carried by Jos Banks after they were acquired by Mens Warehouse. Granted, I was 50lbs overweight, which I've gotten rid of over the past 18 months. Over the past two years most of the casual clothes I've purchased are LL Bean and Duluth Trading. I did buy two pairs of Dickies jeans last Winter and like them.
Jos Banks still carries traditional fit khakis and dress pants with pleats. The stores may not carry all the bigger sizes, but most can be ordered to be delivered within one business week.

Bit of a rant here but recently was in need of new pants (or chinos, or slacks, or whatever) and went to the usual big box department and outlet stores and 90% of the inventory on the floor was skinny fit. Swear to god I looked at every freaking rack and it was a variation of slim/trim/skinny/fitted etc. as far as the eye could see, no regular or traditional fit to be found. I ain't Saquad but me legs have always been large and apparently the current style means what that fits my waist is skin tight on my thighs, and what fits my thighs leaves several inches excess around the waist.

About the only place I avoid is men's warehouse as their sales people have been jerks to me in the past so I don't want to support them and I'm averse from buying online with the hassle of having to return what doesn't fit. If that's my only option I'll do it, but was wondering if anyone had suggestions of brick and mortar stores that sell something besides those which leave nothing to the imagination.

Did you try the husky department?

I'm down 25 lbs, 15 to go... and I've noticed 'relaxed' fit jeans and pants now hang off me as if I'm wearing pants with 3 times the material required. 'Regular' fit jeans are a better fit for me now. I can finally get away with wearing 'slim' fit shirts (which is nice because my wife bought me 4 really nice dress shirts from Off Sax 5th Ave at an outlet center near us when I was at my max weight)… slim fit jeans don't have enough 'ball room', nor is the waist high enough resulting in plumbers crack.

I've gotten away from going to Kohls for clothing because I have no desire to rifle through 20+ racks of clothes looking for what I want. I really like LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Columbia Sportswear, Van Huesan, and maybe now Off Sax 5th Ave. Haven't been to JAB or MW in a long time either... but I may need to visit MW to have my Tux altered.

Bit of a rant here but recently was in need of new pants (or chinos, or slacks, or whatever) and went to the usual big box department and outlet stores and 90% of the inventory on the floor was skinny fit. Swear to god I looked at every freaking rack and it was a variation of slim/trim/skinny/fitted etc. as far as the eye could see, no regular or traditional fit to be found. I ain't Saquad but me legs have always been large and apparently the current style means what that fits my waist is skin tight on my thighs, and what fits my thighs leaves several inches excess around the waist.

About the only place I avoid is men's warehouse as their sales people have been jerks to me in the past so I don't want to support them and I'm averse from buying online with the hassle of having to return what doesn't fit. If that's my only option I'll do it, but was wondering if anyone had suggestions of brick and mortar stores that sell something besides those which leave nothing to the imagination.

Buy a pair, strap a kolbassi to your leg, and go out and see what happens

i just think of that recurring Jimmy Fallon number that points out the absurdity of this fashion statement :
Everybody talkin’ ‘bout my tight pants
Got my tight pants
Got my tight pants on

Congratulations on your
weight loss Delco Lion.
Impressive.​

Thanks TJ. It took about a year. Go to the gym Monday to Friday, low sugar/carb diet, also stopped taking one of my BP meds-metoprolol. My BP is lower than when I was on Metoprolol. Had an allergic reaction to Lisinopril, so I stopped that too. Always felt those two meds made me gain weight.

Reactions: T J
Thanks TJ. It took about a year. Go to the gym Monday to Friday, low sugar/carb diet, also stopped taking one of my BP meds-metoprolol. My BP is lower than when I was on Metoprolol. Had an allergic reaction to Lisinopril, so I stopped that too. Always felt those two meds made me gain weight.

Interesting Delco Lion - Thanks

You might want to check out a book about the Complete Guide to Fasting and Intermittent Fasting. You may find some additional options that fit with your situation and your goals.

From a hormonal weight loss standpoint, one of the missing ingredients can be the time between certain meals. The research will give you some results and options that you might want to consider. Specific options may help to improve health and also improve weight management results.

Again - Congratulations on your great results!

As always...

Don’t make changes to your health care plan without consulting your knowledgeable health care practitioner.

For info purposes only. Not meant to diagnose, cure or treat any disease.

Good luck!​

Last edited:
Reactions: ILLINOISLION
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT