ADVERTISEMENT

OT Do you think Philly wins the triple crown in 18? Superbowl x, NBA championship

, Phils win the World series? I am think they can do it!!!

Will be interesting to see if the Sixers can win the East. Assuming they finish of this series, they will be a favorite against Boston/Milwaukee. If they were to beat CLE/TOR in the ECF, I don't see them being able to beat a team like Houston or GS in a 7 game series.

As for the Phillies - no way. Off to a great start, but have benefitted from beating poor teams (Pirates not good despite record). However, if the back end of their rotation can hold up, they could be a playoff tram.

Last edited:
Better chance that all 4 major sports are at least in the playoffs... When is the last time that happened (in Philly)?

That would be sweet. The chances of that happening are slim to none.

The west is really, really strong in the NBA. They have two teams, perhaps three, that beat anyone in the east (at full strength). Phillies still don't have the roster, yet. It will take them a few more years...but in that time, the Eagles will struggle to maintain that great DL.

But, having said that, could be in the middle of the golden years to be a Philly fan. (also have to note my friend got a dog and named him Philly, which I think is a great dog name).

Reactions: Nitwit97
Better chance that all 4 major sports are at least in the playoffs... When is the last time that happened (in Philly)?

Eagles lost to the Cowboys in the WC round
Sixers lost to the Magic in the 1st round
Phillies lost to the Yankees in the WS
Flyers lost to the Penguins in the 1st round.

Reactions: LBCnova
An interesting fact is that 1980 was the only time a city had all four major sports teams reach their respective championship game. Of course, in true Philly fashion only one (Phillies) won. But this is still quite an accomplishment that may never be matched again. Philly and Boston are the only two cities have all four reach a finals since 2000 with Boston having won at least one in all four sports (Philly had two).

Don't really follow the NBA so I have no idea how good a shot the Sixers have, but the Phillies will never hold up this early pace with such a young team. I'm excited they are actually playing well after the 1-4 start and think it would be awesome if they were able to make the playoffs and completing the quadfecta of Philly playoff teams. I would just be happy if they gave me a reason to watch a sport in August for the first time in five years.

Even though he’s from OH, kgilbert78 might know off the top of his head. That guy’s amazing when it comes to stuff like this.

Just saying.

The west is really, really strong in the NBA. They have two teams, perhaps three, that beat anyone in the east (at full strength).

Actually, I think the East has really closed the gap this year. All 8 playoff teams in the east are relatively solid, and 3 of the bottom 4 seeds are tied 2-2 in their respective series. It isn't like years past where the 7 and 8 seed would enter the playoffs with losing records and lose in 4-5 games.

Regarding the West, I really think it is just Houston and GS who are better than anyone in the East. Even Houston trailed most of Game 1 to MIN and got beat convincingly in game 3. Though GS is probably still the clear favorite, they have the question mark with Steph out. The 3 seed, Portland Trailblazers got swept by New Orleans - looked absolutely horrendous.

As for OKC and Utah - I don't think either are significantly better than Indiana or especially Cleveland. Despite CLE's woes throughout the season, I think they're much better now than the beginning of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant Green
Actually, I think the East has really closed the gap this year. All 8 playoff teams in the east are relatively solid, and 3 of the bottom 4 seeds are tied 2-2 in their respective series. It isn't like years past where the 7 and 8 seed would enter the playoffs with losing records and lose in 4-5 games.

Regarding the West, I really think it is just Houston and GS who are without question better than anyone in the East. Even Houston trailed most of Game 1 to MIN and got beat convincingly in game 3. Though GS is probably still the clear favorite, they still have the question mark with Steph out. The 3 seed, Portland Trailblazers got swept by New Orleans - looked absolutely horrendous.

As for OKC and Utah - I don't think either are significantly better than Indiana or especially Cleveland. Despite CLE's woes throughout the season, I think they're much better now than the beginning of the season.
all good points. And one never knows when you get into a final if an opponents key player isn't 100%. Indy looks really good in the east, as do the sixers, Celts and Raptors. Right now, money is on the Raptors. The Cavs haven't had time to gel, coach doesn't have a rotation he can count on, and the new guys that don't have playoff experience are being overwhelmed by the moment. If they get their feet under them, Cavs will be in the Final. If not, look out for the pacers. What is really amazing is the athleticism of the East this year. Pacers, Raptors, Wizards, Minn, sixers all have excellent athletes that can run and jump out of the arena. Good defenses as well.

Reactions: PSUoh90
We are talking about the big 3 here, not niche sports.
Oh, when the Flyers lose, as they have since '75, it's a niche sport. If they were winning the Cup, you would be singing their praises! Typical Philly logic or illogic, as the case may be.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Oh, when the Flyers lose, as they have since '75, it's a niche sport. If they were winning the Cup, you would be singing their praises! Typical Philly logic or illogic, as the case may be.
Sad, but true. Hockey is not a national obsession in the US believe it or not.

I’m not a math guy. But, I consider Eagles 2017 Champs. Not 2018. Would be like Tiger Slam. Not a Grand Slam

I think he’s aping your (or a fellow Pittsburgher’s) lack of logic re: pre Super Bowl NFL Championships not counting.

It’s not a niche sport to me - hockey is fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: nittany dave
, Phils win the World series? I am think they can do it!!!

The Mets & Nats will have something to say about the east. Chances are slim and none and none just bought a SEPTA ticket to Delaware.

Philly and Boston are the only two cities have all four reach a finals since 2000

This is impressive, but I think you need to include NY also. The NJ Nets played in the finals in both 2002 and 2003. At that time, they were pretty much playing on the same property as the Giants despite going by 'New Jersey' rather than 'New York', like the 2 football teams that play there.

Of course, NY still has the advantage of twice the NBA teams, twice the MLB teams (both have played in multiple WS since 2000), twice the NFL teams, and 3 times the Hockey teams if you want to include the Islanders (In Brooklyn now like the Nets) and Devils in addition to the Rangers.

But, I guess we could also say the Patriots aren't a Boston team (actually closer to Providence, RI), in which case, Philly is the only city to send all 4 to the finals over that period. :D

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT