ADVERTISEMENT

OT.... Cutting back on beer. Need some wine

Personally, I've been drinking Rioja/Tempranillo like water the last 4-5 years. Just an amazing streak of great vintages and super-affordable.

I discovered this last year and have to agree....this is one worth trying

suggestions. White is ok, but I'm looking for some good red suggestions. Cabernet is my preferred choice. I'm not looking for a couple hundred dollar bottles, just some moderate bottles to sip with dinner.
Not a red , but Chateau St. Mjchelle Reisling is very good imo.

Two recommendations:

1. The Prisioner - highly rated, 39.99 at Wegmans.

2. Download the Vivino app and follow folks to get useful recommendations.

Bonus: I really like Zinfandels and anything from Seghesio Winery is outstanding. Enjoy!

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Don't forget to educate yourself when you are out at your favorite restaurant as well. There is an awful lot of knowledge there to tap!

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Go out for a nice dinner and sample some.
Many of the wait staff and bartenders can offer up some great suggestions.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Cabernets:

Sledgehammer
Purple Cowboy
J Lohr
Liberty
Paso Creek
Blackstone
Castle Rock
Cellar 8

All in the 8-15 dollar range. Most are from Paso Robles, CA.

suggestions. White is ok, but I'm looking for some good red suggestions. Cabernet is my preferred choice. I'm not looking for a couple hundred dollar bottles, just some moderate bottles to sip with dinner.
We like Cabernet, Pinot Noir and to a lesser extent Merlot and blends. We buy any Napa Valley vintage from 2012 that we can find. It was a very good year for California wines. We have to go to the good old PA state store, but we have never gone wrong with their Chairman's Select specials - we rarely spend more than $19.99. We only buy 90+ too.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
La Jolla: Everyone has his or her own palate and idea of what is a good wine, but here's a couple of suggestions since you asked: I'm listing retail prices here in California.

Dynamite Cabernet (from Carmenet Vineyards) around $15 a bottle..
Meomi Pinot Noir (Caymus second label Pinot) around $20 a bottle. Really good stuff.
Klinker Brick Zinfandel, around $14 a bottle. .
Red Rocks Cabernet, around $10 per bottle.

I would second the opinion of the poster who recommended Joel Gott wines. A really good value in moderately priced wines (roughly $10 to $18 per bottle, depending on the varietal). The Gott family runs Taylor's Refreshers in St. Helena, and are well known in the Napa Valley.

I am checking out and just downloaded "Sideways" OnDemand....
I've been to the Hitching Post featured in Sideways for dinner, and did a nice tasting at the Sanford Winery which also plays heavily in the film. I believe someone else bought the vineyard, but if you can fine a Sanford wine, particularly Pinot Noir, buy it. It's a great place to visit, near Solvang, CA.

Last edited:
Cutting back on beer?? Who in their right mind would do that...

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Sideways is an awesome movie! I never drink Merlot without at least thinking about that scene

I've done well by keeping an eye out at my local Kroger (of all places) and sometimes Giant Eagle. Every few months they will clearance their wine (often because they only have a bottle or two left form the case and they need the shelf space). I've gotten some *very* nice French wines that way for under $10-12 including some Bordeaux's. Half price or more off. And let your friends recommend too.

Don't forget to educate yourself when you are out at your favorite restaurant as well. There is an awful lot of knowledge there to tap!

This is how my wife found her favorite variety--moscato (which was not big when she discovered it). Our local favorite restaurant recommended it.

I have been out of town and a little late to this party, but I went off beer and onto wines about 10 years ago. I have been to Sonoma/Napa and the Central Coast a few times, and out of all of the places we have visited, here are the wine clubs that we joined because their wines stood out to us. With the wine club, they will send you a few bottles several times throughout the year, so you get to try different varietals.

Coppola Winery, Director's Cut, Sonoma Valley -- this winery does a great job of crafting wines that taste great for most palates. They send us 6 wines every 3 months, both red and white. We pay about $180 to $200 for each of these shipments, but they are well worth the money.

Gainey Winery, Santa Barbara -- this is a family winery, and we get 3 wines from them every two months, and we exclusively get red wines from Gainey. Their shipments are about $60 each time.

Hop Kiln, Russian River Valley -- this winery used to be a kiln for drying hops (hence the name). These are all Pinot Noirs, and they are very tasty wines.

Enjoy getting to know your wines and figuring out what you like!

Why would you do anything so drastic? I suggest that you eliminate entirely your consumption of bad beer, save room in your fridge and your gut for only good beer (assuming this is a caloric thing), and give up this silly wine quest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT