ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cruise Advice Needed

GoGoBanana

Aug 12, 2008
NEPA/570
I need a favor from the all-knowing board. In a few weeks, I will be going on a cruise (we got a first timer here!). I'm not quite sure what to expect, so I am looking for some feedback on must see/must do excursions/expeditions, as well as general advice on what I should expect both on the ship and at the different ports we will be visiting, what I should bring with me, etc. We will be departing from San Juan, and will be visiting St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

he's short, his movies aren't very good and he belongs to that nutty Scientology

Well, I went on my first cruise a few weeks ago. (It was not to the Caribbean so I can't help you with activities at those sites). From what to expect, I guess it depends on the cruise line. I know some don't include drinks like soda, beer, and wine in their packages- they cost extra.

When you leave the boat you need to take your drivers license (or passport) plus your cruise ship ID card you'll receive when you check in. Don't forget the driver's license or you will have hoops to jump to get back on the ship compared to everyone else.

Don't forget sunscreen. I know that's hard for those of us in the Northeast to focus on as being important right now, but you'll need it. ;)

When they say return from excursions no later than 4pm, they really mean no later than 4pm. Don't be late or be prepared to swim.

I'm sure some more will hit me later- it's too late now. Have a great trip.

This post was edited on 3/15 4:47 AM by psu00

Two Recommendations!

#1 - The cruise line offers excursions in every port. You can often get the same or similar excursions from independent vendors when you get off the ship at cheaper rates.....BUT DON'T DO IT. If a cruise-sponsored excursion is late getting back to the ship, the ship will wait for you. If you're on an independent excursion and you're late, the ship will sail without you.

#2 - Just read that Samantha Brown has a series of short You Tube videos on cruising. I think she's sponsored by Carnival, but the tips would apply to any cruise experience. Might be worth looking them up and checking them out.

I just got back from doing a Caribbean cruise. I've done 8 cruises, and have been to all those places except St Kitts. If you're doing excursions with the ship line, it will be expensive. I've only done 1 or 2 excursions with the line. A lot depends on what you want to do. Go over to Tripadvisor.com and search out the different activities on all the stops. It will give you a good idea what is available, and customer revues. A lot of times you'll be able to book the same identical cruise in port and often with the same vendor the cruise line uses. It will be cheaper.

You'll have to take a cab to town if you want to see anything in St Thomas. It has a large shopping district, if you're into that. Also have an old fort that may be worth a visit, as it's just been restored. There's also a place to sample rum. We have always taken a cab tour of the island. On one tour, they dropped us off at Coral World and gave discount cards. They came back and picked us up and had us back in plenty of time. You pay your cab fare to these guys when they get you back to the dock. It gives them incentive to be there on time. Never had a problem.

On Barbados, we also took a cab ride. Found them right off the dock. They took us all around to the top spots on the island. You also get to talk to the local people and get a better feel for the area. Cost was $60 for the ride and lasted a couple of hours.

St Lucia is a bigger island. It is one that I did take an excursion to the rain forest with the cruise line. It was fairly expensive, but it was worth the money. They do make stops that have people constantly trying to sell you trinkets. That's how they make their living. Make sure you see the pitons when you go past.

At St Marteen, we just walked around the town on the Dutch side. Beer is cheap, and you can get a lounge chair for a few bucks on the beach. If you want to relax, its a good way to spend the day. The town area is full a hucksters. They are in your face. We ended up making the mistake of taking some kind of "free" ticket for a chance to win something. Ended up being a time share, and we spent a lot of time trying to get out of there. If you feel real adventurous, go to Orient beach.

Most cruise lines want you to spend money on drinks. That's where they make their profit. The cheapest bottle of wine you will find is about $25. An average mixed drink is $7. A beer is $5 and a soft drink is $3.50. They'll throw a 15% gratuity on top of that. We take water bottles and fill them up in Lido. Most lines are now pushing drink cards. If you get one, everyone in your room needs to buy one. Breakeven is at 6 mixed drinks a day. It takes more of the cheaper drinks. I never thought they had that much value, as you won't be using the drink cards when in port.

March is a great time in the islands. Not too hot, and nothing more than showers, if at all. Seas are fairly calm.

Take half of what you think you'll need relative to clothes as noted take

Sunscreen and a high number whenever I go to the Caribbean I always find it hot. So I never take dark clothes. I've tried to reduce the amount of cotton and now take dri fit stuff take some kind of day pack for shore excursions. Me?? I always find someway to get in that beautiful water!!!

You'll find a lot of information on cruisecritic.com We cruised with RCI on Freedom twice, Allure and Oasis all to the Carribean. We never did a ship sponsored tour as they are quite expensive. Google and read reviews of local tour operators as we have never had a bad experience but do make sure they have you back to the ship early. I witnessed passengers running to board, and yes the ship will leave as they need to stay on schedule. Be prepared to eat as food is abundant morning till night. Speaking for RCI don't forget to use the main dining room for breakfast and lunch as they are usually a step above the buffets. You'll enjoy it, we are looking forward to our next, maybe departing from NYC. Happy sailing.

St Thomas

St Thomas - Book a tour with Sonny Liston Tours. Great fun and you will see the island. Town is a tourist trap with high priced jewelry and rip offs galore.. You can take the ferry to Virgin Gordo to see The Baths. It was one of the nicest beaches I've been to on thirteen islands. Be sure to go to the "Mountain Top " for the view of all the islands.Fantastic view
Barbados- Do not do the Harrison Caves tour. It is like a cheesy disney tour.
Champaign Beach might be a good choice here,
Follow others advice and pay the extra for the excursions.You must be back on the ship at the right time and it's not always four
St Kitts - Probably the best island to snorkel or scuba in the Caribbean
We always travel with Princess Cruises and have no complaints.
Check out "Trip Advisor" for reviews and places to see on each island.
If your cruising ,when you get on the ship ,ask if they will show you the bridge. They only take a handful each trip but it is very interesting.
Have fun. Everyone told me i would be bored but I've always had a great time.
Take the excursions. Don't just walk around the town. See the islands. You'll be glad you did

This is what I do:

St Thomas - Take taxi to Sapphire Beach - $10pp - Plenty of taxis outside of fence at pier - good place to snorkel - if you are adventurous take taxi to Red Hook - $10pp - buy ferry ticket to St John - $14pp roundtrip departs every hour on the hour both ways - take taxi on St John to Trunk Bay - one of the most beautiful beaches in the world

Barbados - Take taxi to Mullins Beach - $10 pp - we usually go to Folkestone Marine Reserve to snorkel,and use a variety of buses to do it -

St Lucia - book tour with Cosol (cosol966@hotmail.com) - cost around $60 pp - goes to waterfall, botanical garden, volcano Marigot Bay, banana plantation and Hilton Jalousie Hotel located between the Pitons - includes drinks (beer, soda and rum punch) - or book with Spenser Ambrose (google name and St Lucia) - google both and you should find info on their tours - my favorite island

St Kitts - no good beaches, but I go to South Friars Beach (Shipwreck Bar) for excellent snorkeling - we paid $4 pp with a group

St Maarten - Orient Beach is good, but crowded - Taxi $6pp - left side of beach is clothing required - right side is clothing optional - topless ladies can drink free at some bars - best island to buy liquor - ex Dewars Scotch $13/qt

Most important item to bring is water shoes especially if you go in the water at St Kitts - many sea urchins

Some excursions are interesting depending upon the island but others are the same no matter where you are. Study them closely and see if they offer anything which is unique to a given island. To me the islands were all pretty similar. It was a "seen one, seen 'em all" type of thing. I realize this isn't true but a person can only really learn about a place by spending more than six or seven hours there. There were a couple of shorter stops where I only left the ship to take a walk - no excursion and no spending. At least I could say I was there, right??

The one exception to this was Dominica. It's an active geothermal island not known for its beaches. Beautiful place. Too bad it's not on your itinerary.

This post was edited on 3/15 9:27 AM by NittPicker

Bring at least a case of bottled water, maybe more

They charge a fortune for it on the ship and it is good to have handy to take with you at port!

We use shoretrips.com for our excursions. Not always a savings, but more personal. For example, on our last cruise (Alaska) on a whale watching trip there were 6 of us vs. 200 on the cruise ship's excursion. Have never had an issue with them and you can call and take to someone.

ot Dominica is on my list, would love to dive there, any insights??

seems whales come to visit.

Americas Cup Regatta in St Marten

we did the Americas Cup Regatta in St Marten...it is rated 4.85/5. We were on the Stars & Stripes, the American Cup winner under Dennis Connor

Excursion Description

Experience the thrill of racing the famous 12-meter race boats "Stars & Stripes", "Canada II" and "True North".

On this excursion you will:

Have the opportunity to compete in your own race around a shortened America's Cup course.Participate in one of the most exclusive sporting events in the world as you grind the winch, trim the sails or take the helm to help lead your crew to victory.Sail for the world's oldest continuously contested trophy in sports, a symbol of excellence and national achievement.Participate in this once in a lifetime experience where no experience is necessary.
Note: Be sure to wear soft-soled shoes, sunscreen and sunglasses are highly recommended.

Water is free at the buffet

Take a liter bottle and refill it at the buffet everyday or when you want. You can buy it onshore and take it onboard

Another note on Sonny Liston tours.

He takes you to the Mountaintop , downtown and to Sapphire Beach mentioned below. It is a very nice beach which isn't as crowded as Megan's bay. also get to sit on Drakes Seat on the mountain. Various other places also. I think it was about 40.00 each
Cruises are fun! See the island not just a beach
Google "the Mountain Top" for a preview of the view.

Wife and I have done several cruises, a few of the same ports you will be visiting. Sit back, relax and enjoy. Lots of food but we have noticed the quality has gone down over the past few years. If you plan on sitting at the pool particularly "at sea days" if you have any, get there early as seats will be grabbed, get extra towels at the pool. Regarding shore tours we generally take those offered by the ship line, probably a bit safer but the ship will also wait for you if you are late. While walking through port towns beware of street vendors and possible pick pockets. If shopping you can probably get better bargains in town than on the ship. Finally on water, don't bring your own on the ship and don't fill a bottle at the buffet; when you depart the ship at ports they will sell you water, usually about two dollars a bottle. You are on vacation, enjoy yourself and see as much as you can. .

I have taken the exact cruise you are taking

the off shore trips are a rip off. Enjoy the ship, relax, don't overdue. Be careful of rip offs in towns. Buy your liquor in San Juan. Cheap, even for expensive brands. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Before or after the cruise --

visit El Moro in San Juan -- this Spanish Fort took 250 years to build. Across the bay is the Bacardi Rum factory -- tour if you have time.

**Do not forget extra money for the final 'tips' that are expected from every guest before departing the ship. This can add up to quite a sum.

All of your ports of call are great, especially St Maarten. Not a big fan of San Juan.Get to know your crew.. These are the nicest, most intelligent young folks ever..The ship board shows are spectacular. great entertainment everywhere.. My wife and I have been on many cruises, each one offers something different You might avail yourself of the drink package, either alcohol pkg , if you are a drinker or the water/soda/juice pkg. Bon Voyage

Someone below mentioned the ship tours are rip offs, they are more expensive. However if you have never been to any of these spots the ship tours are much more informative and you get to see many more places than if you are a first timer. In Barbados we went to the rum factory and got to sample various blends that was the result of a ship tour plus you get a guide. In St. Thomas we didn't take a tour and strolled through a pleasant town, found an outdoor café and had lunch. Much depends on your budget and if you have been to these ports in the past. Once again, we enjoy cruises so we hope you will too.

Consider bringing a thermos and cup with a cover. Saw people loading up on drinks one day in a thermos and thought it was a great idea if you wanted lemonade or iced tea/ coffee in your cabin later at night without having to track down to the cafe. ;)

This post was edited on 3/15 1:26 PM by psu00

If you drink and they have a beverage plan, get it first thing. Last one I was on it was $50/day/person it is well worth it.

Does anyone in your trip suffer from motion sickness?

You won't feel the boat moving but it is. Remember, you have to take the motion sickness pills before you get sick or they don't work very well. You can also try to switch your room to something in the center of the boat and lower to minimize the rolling. Considering how little time you spend in the cabin its not a big deal, and the absolute darkness at night will help you sleep great to recharge for your busy days. Also, bring one formal set of clothes for some of the nicer places to eat on board as some have a dress code, otherwise everything is casual. When going on shore, take a money clip, no wallet. One or two credit cards max, cash for the day only, and your id to get back on the boat. Leave the wallet, extra cash, and everything else in the room safe. If you lose stuff while ashore, it won't be a big deal that way. Also, tipping is abundant so it doesn't hurt to have some smaller bills handy.

Edit: Most of all, you're on vacation. Ban all cellphones, internet, etc. and just completely disconnect from the world. You can catch everyone up on what a great time you had when you get off the cruise. It is your and only your time while on that vacation.

This post was edited on 3/15 1:36 PM by 91Joe95

Get the patch for sea sickness.

It is somewhat expensive about $80, but you wont have to worry about sea sickness. 1 patch lasts about 4 days. The boat does not move that much, but I never wanted to take a chance. If you have ever gotten sea sick, it is one of the worst feelings.
Criuses are great. Best Vacations for the money.

Trans a derm scoop or something like that. Worth the $. Hard to put the

Cow back in the barn w sea sickness!!! Plus no side affects !!

ADVERTISEMENT