ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crazy idea for NBA and NHL playoffs.

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
Both play 80-ish games to eliminate just half the teams. And then they play best-of-7 series in the playoffs, likely to maximize the number of games and money. But really, playing that many games is just silly.

But when the home field advantage is so much, a best-of-7 series does give teams a few chances to win on the other teams court or ice. Then again, it gets kinda dull when the home team is so likely to win.

So to counteract that, how about giving a handicap to the away team? So in hockey the game starts with the visiting team leading 1-0 (or maybe 2-0 if that much is necessary). And in basketball the visiting team starts by leading 8-0, or whatever is appropriate. Make it such that it would be akin to them playing on a neutral field.

Then you coudl have a 3 game series instead of 7. A 7 game series in basketball and hockey? Really? It's just play silly.

giphy.gif

Both play 80-ish games to eliminate just half the teams. And then they play best-of-7 series in the playoffs, likely to maximize the number of games and money. But really, playing that many games is just silly.

But when the home field advantage is so much, a best-of-7 series does give teams a few chances to win on the other teams court or ice. Then again, it gets kinda dull when the home team is so likely to win.

So to counteract that, how about giving a handicap to the away team? So in hockey the game starts with the visiting team leading 1-0 (or maybe 2-0 if that much is necessary). And in basketball the visiting team starts by leading 8-0, or whatever is appropriate. Make it such that it would be akin to them playing on a neutral field.

Then you coudl have a 3 game series instead of 7. A 7 game series in basketball and hockey? Really? It's just play silly.
SMH You have to much down time. Find a hobby.

It just shows what a joke the NHL is that an FIRST YEAR expansion team (LV) is the favorite to win it all.

Mercy- you really took the time to sit down and write this up?

Reactions: bytir
I realize that the idea is pretty silly, as some of you have said, but it's also pretty silly to have a 7 game series where everybody watching knows there's a good chance the home team is going to win and that the only drama in the series involves whether a team that only gets 3 of 7 games can win a game "off serve" and thus win the series.

When home field advantage is that important it detracts from the game itself IMO. It seems that the outcome of the games aren't determined by the play of the teams but rather by where the game is being played.

Indeed. Batshit crazy in fact.

Okay, how about this. To up the stakes first do everything you can to completely eliminate home field/court/ice advantage, perhaps by playing on a neutral court, and then make the series be ONE game.

One game for all the marbles on a neutral court. Every game is really important that way. As it stands now oftentimes you don't even have to pay attention until either Game 7 or else until the games after a home team loses.

It works pretty well for the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Some of the resistance to this is the silliness of a team starting off a hockey game say with a 1-0 lead. Yes, that's silly, but a team effectively having a one goal advantage over the course of the game just because the game is being played on their home ice is silly too. It's just that it's not to blatant because the advantage is spread out over the course of the entire game instead of stated point blank on the scoreboard before the game starts.

I realize that the idea is pretty silly, as some of you have said, but it's also pretty silly to have a 7 game series where everybody watching knows there's a good chance the home team is going to win and that the only drama in the series involves whether a team that only gets 3 of 7 games can win a game "off serve" and thus win the series.

When home field advantage is that important it detracts from the game itself IMO. It seems that the outcome of the games aren't determined by the play of the teams but rather by where the game is being played.
Like in the Washington - Columbus series where the road team has won all 4 games played so far

Like in the Washington - Columbus series where the road team has won all 4 games played so far

Okay, granted my theory isn't perfect, partly because I haven't followed the NBA or NHL even marginally for a long time, but back when I did follow it more closely the home field/court/ice each game in a series was huge.

And also this is partly motivated by me watching some of the end of the Bos-Tor NHL Game 2 the other night when Boston was winning and about to go up 2-0 in a 7 game series and the announcer basically said that it didn't actually mean anything since the first two games were at Boston and they were supposed to win those and that it only really mattered for Toronto if they either (a) lost a home game or (b) didn't eventually win a game in Boston.

At least you admitted it was a CRAZY IDEA.

The home team is supposed to win. But that's not what always happens. The Penguins only loss so far is at home. And they won both games on the road. The Sixers lost one at home and won their first road game.

If anything, I'd argue that since leagues are playing 82 games to eliminate less than half of the field, ALL games should be played at the home of the higher seed. At the end of the day, we want to see the best teams playing the longest. AND it would eliminate the concept of coasting into the playoffs and not worrying so much about seeding.

It just shows what a joke the NHL is that an FIRST YEAR expansion team (LV) is the favorite to win it all.

I think it shows that the next time there is an expansion, the draft needs to be tweaked. Can't allow so many high end players to be available. The salary cap played a role, but so did the limited protections. Teams couldn't protect high priced veterans and young future stars.

Some of the resistance to this is the silliness of a team starting off a hockey game say with a 1-0 lead. Yes, that's silly, but a team effectively having a one goal advantage over the course of the game just because the game is being played on their home ice is silly too. It's just that it's not to blatant because the advantage is spread out over the course of the entire game instead of stated point blank on the scoreboard before the game starts.
So far it's 17-15 home team advantage. That's the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limestone_Lion
people don't recall but both jacksonville and carolina were very good in their first and second years because they made the expansion draft too good. The NFL then "corrected" that mistake when CLE was brought back. I have friends that were helping build the team that told me that they didn't have a single good player on the team that didn't come from the college draft.

So far it's 17-15 home team advantage. That's the NHL.

Okay, so I haven't followed the NHL for awhile and I guess things have changed, although that announcer on the Bos-Tor game made me think home ice was really big.

I like the idea of throwing out crazy ideas though. Sometimes they bear fruit that would never have been born had not the crazy idea been thrown out there.

I'm of the opinion that I like seeing a new team being immediately competitive. I think the NHL has got the right mixture currently in their system. About 80% of the league has a playoff shot late in the season. It gives more meaning to a dull regular season when teams have something to play for.

Playoffs aren't broke. I wouldn't try to fix them. My biggest issue with the NHL is just officiated and having a consistent threshold or interpretation of the rules.

7 game series are great.. everyone on either side knows the other so well by the end of a close, tight series. Adjustments are made game to game and it's fascinating to see a good series develop.

The NHL should shorten its season. 82 games is such a grind...you’d get healthier teams with a lot more in the tank come playoff time if they cut the season even by 25%. I actually really enjoyed the strike shortened season a few years ago...made the regular season that much more exciting.

I don’t watch the nba, so I’m only assuming that a similarly shortened season would work for them too, and for God’s sake MLB should DEFINITELY drop a shit ton of games as well.

The NHL should shorten its season. 82 games is such a grind...you’d get healthier teams with a lot more in the tank come playoff time if they cut the season even by 25%. I actually really enjoyed the strike shortened season a few years ago...made the regular season that much more exciting.

I don’t watch the nba, so I’m only assuming that a similarly shortened season would work for them too, and for God’s sake MLB should DEFINITELY drop a shit ton of games as well.

I agree that MLB needs to shorten and an MLB player actually came out and said the same recently.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...zzo-shorter-regular-season-pay-cut/526338002/

They are not the favorite to win it all.
Updated odds has them tie with best odds to win Cup. I don’t think that makes the NHL a joke, they were just given a very good talent pool to choose from and were able to make back deals to have access to certain players, etc.

I agree with this. The problem is that NHL revenue relies on gates moreso than the other three sports. They already had a salary roll back , not sure NHLPA would entertain this.
My 2c, hockey should play 70-74 games, NBA 76-80, MLB 144-154. NFL is fine as is.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I think it shows that the next time there is an expansion, the draft needs to be tweaked. Can't allow so many high end players to be available. The salary cap played a role, but so did the limited protections. Teams couldn't protect high priced veterans and young future stars.
Oh I dunno. Teams had plenty of opportunities to protect guys and everybody’s got the same cap. I actually makes huge sense for a league to expand in a way that promotes nw franchises opportunity to succeed rather than suck, particularly where said league has teams that suck and look to move. You want stability and you want them to succeed and take root.

Updated odds has them tie with best odds to win Cup. I don’t think that makes the NHL a joke, they were just given a very good talent pool to choose from and were able to make back deals to have access to certain players, etc.
And of course betting odds are designed to drive money in particular directions.

I'm of the opinion that I like seeing a new team being immediately competitive. I think the NHL has got the right mixture currently in their system. About 80% of the league has a playoff shot late in the season. It gives more meaning to a dull regular season when teams have something to play for.

Playoffs aren't broke. I wouldn't try to fix them. My biggest issue with the NHL is just officiated and having a consistent threshold or interpretation of the rules.
Agreed it makes zero sense to effectively have a different set of rules that ncentives between reg season and playoffs.

As others have posted, the benefit of being at home isn't as strong as you'd think. Likely the reason the team with home ice/court wins the series more often is because they are, you know, the better team. Their being the better team all season is the reason they have home ice/court advantage in the series.

Updated odds has them tie with best odds to win Cup.
Careful with the vegasinsider futures. I'm not sure where they get their numbers. You have to look at a bunch of offshore sites to get an idea (they will all be slightly different). For example, Bovada has them at 3rd while Bookmaker at 6th.

Careful with the vegasinsider futures. I'm not sure where they get their numbers. You have to look at a bunch of offshore sites to get an idea (they will all be slightly different). For example, Bovada has them at 3rd while Bookmaker at 6th.

Today OddsShark lists the favorites in order:

Nashville
Tampa Bay
Vegas
Pittsburgh
Boston
Winnipeg
San Jose
Washington
Columbus
Toronto
Minnesota
Colorado
New Jersey
Philadelphia

I proposed this a few years ago on this board.

I like the idea of a team starting the series in the hole. The NHL home ice advantage is not significant IMO. Yes there seems to be an advantage, but road trips can be long and have a draining effect.

8 seed vs 1 seed, the lower team starts 2 games down. This would also allow for the expansion of playoff teams.

LdN

I mean, a 3 game series would benefit the weaker team. The entire point of a 7 game series is benefit the higher seeded team. A weaker team can win 2 of 3 but can they sustained it for a long series.

The NHL playoffs are awesome. I wouldn't be happy losing any games.

Vegas is a great team. The NHL actually made it too easy for them then teams gave them picks to protect other guys. Fleury is a future HOFer in net and they have 3 defensive pairs made up of 3-4 guys on most teams. Add guys like Karlsson & Neal and they're a threat. But that team, defensively, is amazing and Fleury is loving after second of his second NHL career.

I mean, a 3 game series would benefit the weaker team. The entire point of a 7 game series is benefit the higher seeded team. A weaker team can win 2 of 3 but can they sustained it for a long series.

The NHL playoffs are awesome. I wouldn't be happy losing any games.

Vegas is a great team. The NHL actually made it too easy for them then teams gave them picks to protect other guys. Fleury is a future HOFer in net and they have 3 defensive pairs made up of 3-4 guys on most teams. Add guys like Karlsson & Neal and they're a threat. But that team, defensively, is amazing and Fleury is loving after second of his second NHL career.
A post of yours I agree with . They made sure that Vegas team would be very competitive right off the bat. There are probably 20 franchises that would love the opportunity to start fresh like Vegas did

And yes - if you are playing 80+ games in a regular season, anything less than best of 7 opens up the chance for undeserving upsets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT