ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Catfished new job

windy city lion

Feb 20, 2002
I accepted a new position a few months ago only to find out that this company has a ton of issues. Rather not go into details, but it’s not pretty.

I really want to jump ship, but not sure how to present on the resume with only 2-3 months on the job.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I accepted a new position a few months ago only to find out that this company has a ton of issues. Rather not go into details, but it’s not pretty.

I really want to jump ship, but not sure how to present on the resume with only 2-3 months on the job.

Leave it off your resume or keep it and be ready to explain that when you got there, you realized it wasn't a good fit.

You say it just like that. You aren't a job hopper but on the other hand if you sit down for a movie based on previews and you realize quickly the movie isn't any good, you pick up your popcorn and go rather than sit through the whole thing.

Agree with 'Ro. As my father in law used to say "what is wrong with the truth?" Of course, you don't have to air dirty laundry. Just state that the position, as you understood it, did not meet you expectations.

Leave the couple of months job off your resume, but be ready to explain to a recruiter and future employer what you were doing those months. I have seen a few resumes like this in the past and individuals have told me that they were doing consulting work, or they took a couple of months off of work in order to get personal things done or to travel. A couple of months means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: BBrown
Leave it on and explain. Nothing like lying to a potential future employer in your first interaction with them.

How long were you in your previous position? Do you have a history of job hopping?

I would not leave it off your resume. If your potential new employer runs a check they will see you are employed but don't mention it on your resume. Much better to have a chance to explain it in person than to be deemed dishonest and never get the chance.

A resume is not a background check. It's a summary and your marketing literature. There's no reason to include anything on there that you doubt want to.

If asked in the hiring process to list every job, list every job.

Include it. If you've had an otherwise solid work history it won't be a problem. People recognize that shit happens. Better to be up front about it, which makes it a lot easier to explain than a discrepancy on your resume.

Had a similar experience early in my career, though the timeframe was 5-6 months. Knew I'd be asked about it when I interviewed so I had a short, direct explanation. Never went beyond that and landed another job in a matter of weeks.

As Otter said to Flounder "Hey, you f'ed up" :)
Everyone gets one job mulligan. Think nothing of it. Just be ready to speak what you've learned and gained from the experience.

Back in 2000-ish dot-com bubble time, I left a stable job for a start-up. Hey, WTH, let's give it a try. Major mistake. I wanted to leave after about a week. The firm was hemorrhaging money and had no idea until I helped the organize their operations. I left after two months. I bounced to two other jobs over next two years until I went back to much more stable environment.

In retrospect, I think I tried to commit career suicide by the initial move. I just didn't realize it at the time. For me, some greener grass wasn't green at all. It was a mirage. I learned what I liked and valued and what i didn't like and didn't value.

This month I will have 30 of 33 years at the one stable company. Gladly and thankfully. good luck

Leave it on and explain. Nothing like lying to a potential future employer in your first interaction with them.

How long were you in your previous position? Do you have a history of job hopping?

I was in my previous position for 2.5yrs and the position before that 8 years.
So no history of job hopping.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
Unless you have a history of jumping, don't worry about it. Don't fake your resume as it will prevent you from getting some jobs as it's viewed a fraud.

Be ready to explain the situation frankly and honestly.

Reactions: ItsAllGoodMan
Include it. If you've had an otherwise solid work history it won't be a problem. People recognize that shit happens. Better to be up front about it, which makes it a lot easier to explain than a discrepancy on your resume.

Had a similar experience early in my career, though the timeframe was 5-6 months. Knew I'd be asked about it when I interviewed so I had a short, direct explanation. Never went beyond that and landed another job in a matter of weeks.
Agreed! Just be ready to explain. I had a similar experience, but it was later in my career. When it came up; I had a short, direct explanation. I was pressed a little bit so I offered “I forgot to ask during the interview process there if the owner was corrupt and had an addiction problem.”
Later, when we were having dinner after signing off, I was asked again about the owner’s addiction issue. I explained: “He was a pretty straight shooter except he had a slight control problem with booze, weed, coke, gambling and pu$$y”. It resulted in big laughs and, as stated above, these folks knew the situation from the beginning and appreciated it. Trust me, the addiction problem was real. You could’ve built a cable network around it!

A resume is not a background check. It's a summary and your marketing literature. There's no reason to include anything on there that you doubt want to.

If asked in the hiring process to list every job, list every job.
I'm not referring to a complete background check. If you fill out paperwork prior to the interview they may run an employment check or something similar that reveals the fact you are employed. I just simply think it's better safe than sorry. And as long as you aren't switching jobs frequently enough to be labeled a job hopper, I don't think your potential employer will hold it against you.

I'm not referring to a complete background check. If you fill out paperwork prior to the interview they may run an employment check or something similar that reveals the fact you are employed. I just simply think it's better safe than sorry. And as long as you aren't switching jobs frequently enough to be labeled a job hopper, I don't think your potential employer will hold it against you.

I can't imagine a scenario where it would be an issue, but the typical way to avoid it if there's any concern at all is to: either (or both):

- Format as a functional resume, not a job by job listing or

- list years instead of months & years

So this job could be 2018-2019 instead of 12/18 - 2/19

Or 2018 to Present

Last edited:
I was in my previous position for 2.5yrs and the position before that 8 years.
So no history of job hopping.

Just list it and matter of factly state the role wasn’t as described/not a fit/not what you wanted when they ask about the short tenure. Should be 30-60 seconds at most. If they ask why have 1-2 short examples/reasons you feel that way and again keep it short and sweet. No one is going to dig to deeply into a role you’ve been in for a few months. If you don’t make it a big deal the interviewer isn’t either. They’ll be more interested in the 2.5 and 8 year positions.

Explaining why you felt the need to leave it off should it ever come up will be far worse.

What do you do/ what do you want to do? Looks like you’re in Chicago as well and my company is hiring/needs some more nittany lions.

About 5 years ago, I took a job that was so bad I was updating my resume on Day 2. I had known their work and one of their partners, but didn’t know how slimy and secretive he was when I wasn’t in the position of being a client.

Awful. I stuck it out for a year. It was a race to find a new job before getting laid off since I had almost nothing to do. I lost by 4 days, but got an unsolicited email from a colleague of a friend on day 4. He inquired if I was still happy at my previous job as he had an email from me talking about how that company wanted me to move and I could not. Perfect timing. Told him what was up, got my job without an interview, and am still there 4 years later. Best job I’ve ever had.

But to your point, don’t lie about it. Have good answers for the issue. Fortunately it’s not the 50s anymore where everyone was expected to be at the same place for 20+ years

Reactions: LionDeNittany

Context is key. If you have a bunch of <1yr positions on your resume, it's a pattern. If you a single one, evidence would suggest an anomaly. In an interview, you'll surely be asked why you are leaving after only 2-3 months and you can easily explain the "issues" and that the company was not up front about the realities of working at the company. FWIW, after you get a new job, I'd probably remove this from the resume as in in the long run, it's not really relevant experience.

I can't imagine a scenario where it would be an issue, but the typical way to avoid it if there's any concern at all is to: either (or both):

Or 2018 to Present

You can't? You must be Donnie Fvcking Remy.

I agree with Art and Obli, but when telling the truth, stick to the facts, give examples, but don't complain/whine.

Reactions: Art

Or 2018 to Present

What? It his current job... It isn't leaving off a 3 month position from a decade ago. It's putting yourself in a no win position.

Interviewer: "So what have you been doing the last 3-4 months."

At that point he either can:

1) Say he's been working for company x and then he will have to explain why he omitted it from the resume. If he is going to go this route he might as well put it on his resume because everything he's hoping to avoid by leaving it off his resume is going to come up in the interview anyway and he will have added the additional need to explain why he left it off his resume.

2) Lie. Say he's consulting/looking for work/whatever you want to say that isn't option 1. At this point he's committed to maintaining that lie throughout the process and hoping he doesn't slip up. If he gets offered the job and they discover the current role, they will almost certainly withdraw the offer. If he passes the check and something comes up down the road and they find out, they are well within their rights to terminate him based on falsified information provided during the hiring process.

Reactions: PAgeologist

Leave it on the resume and explain the situation.

Employers understand these circumstances arise and if you don’t have a history of jumping ship it won’t be an issue. I once left one 60 days after arriving as it was immediate to me they would be filing bankruptcy in the next 60-90 days.

What? It his current job... It isn't leaving off a 3 month position from a decade ago. It's putting yourself in a no win position.

Interviewer: "So what have you been doing the last 3-4 months."

At that point he either can:

1) Say he's been working for company x and then he will have to explain why he omitted it from the resume. If he is going to go this route he might as well put it on his resume because everything he's hoping to avoid by leaving it off his resume is going to come up in the interview anyway and he will have added the additional need to explain why he left it off his resume.

2) Lie. Say he's consulting/looking for work/whatever you want to say that isn't option 1. At this point he's committed to maintaining that lie throughout the process and hoping he doesn't slip up. If he gets offered the job and they discover the current role, they will almost certainly withdraw the offer. If he passes the check and something comes up down the road and they find out, they are well within their rights to terminate him based on falsified information provided during the hiring process.

Alternatively, from perusing the resume, the interviewer starts out with "So you're working for Company A......." What do you say when you're really working for Company B?

In out firm we consider the resume part of the employment application. HR cross checks the two. If they don't correspond, someone has some 'splainin to do at what is not the most advantageous time or circumstances.

Reactions: flinter
You leave it off your resume, it looks like you're admitting fault. There's nothing to apologize for here -- you accepted a job in good faith based on representations that were made to you, but you found out things after you started work that made it impossible for you to stay. In the interview you can be slightly more specific without betraying confidences or disclosing company secrets. The rest of your work history and references will underscore the fact that you aren't careless about taking and quitting jobs.

Sorry to hear that. It's not the first time and not the last one. Frustrating when this happens.
I had almost the same situation to be honest. I got hired into a company that had a lot, just a lot of problems, official problems with the documents and with the employees, so it wasn't really great to be honest. I didn't know what to do, so when i sent my cv the next time after i got fired from that terrible company, i told that i worked at that company and they didn't want to hire me anymore. So after that i decided to call for the services of https://idealcareercoach.com, a career consulting company. And they have helped me with the cv, and everything was great. As i do remember they told me to omit the fact that i worked there.

Last edited:
I would recommend putting it on your resume. Be prepared for questions about leaving so soon with a good explanation. I would keep the explanation generic. I think its a red flag to interviewers if a candidate tells a negative story about previous employers. I think it's fair to say that it turned out the job wasn't what was discussed during the interview process.

Yes. Put the job on your resume now while searching so prospective employers know you’re employed currently. Explain the situation directly without crapping on the current employer too much. After some time passes remove the job from your resume if it was only a few months. Nearly everyone I know, especially high level guys, has a small gap at some point.

Iran into the same situation when I accepted a position with a startup. Once there i realized quickly that the culture was toxic and I would not be successful there. My advice is just be honest with any perspective employers and your current employer. Not every candidate is a proper fit no matter how experienced you are...it happens and employers understand that. It would only be an issue if you had multiple instances of the same situation.

You all realize you're commenting on a post that's a year and a half old, right? :cool:

You all realize you're commenting on a post that's a year and a half old, right? :cool:
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT