ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Campus to be tobacco/smoke free this fall...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
No more cigars on the bench for Russ I guess. Instead of trying to control behavior, maybe the University could try to control tuition increases.

Reactions: psu1969a and bmw199
Many people are offended by perfume. Ban it. Deodorant as well while you're at it. Peanuts and shellfish can KILL those w/ bad allergies. Ban them.

I hate to even ask this, but are you permitted to ride a bike on campus w/out one of those John Kerry helmets on?

Second hand smoke is linked to lung cancer as well as asthma attacks and other breathing issues for non-smokers. Bars banned tobacco for worker safety. I applaud the move. I teach at a college in MD that has been tobacco free for years.

Needs Smoking Co-ed Exemption

zoe-psu-0004.png

Zoe Pugh - Playboy’s Peppery Pick

Good but still will not stop many from smoking and continuing to throw their cigarette butts on the ground.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Second hand smoke is linked to lung cancer as well as asthma attacks and other breathing issues for non-smokers. Bars banned tobacco for worker safety. I applaud the move. I teach at a college in MD that has been tobacco free for years.
What about alcohol? Sugary drinks? Riding bikes without helmets? Unprotected sex? Oral sex? Walking in bare feet? Not treating your athlete's foot?

I don't have to breathe someone else's sugary soda. Personal freedom has boundaries when your behavior has a negative impact on others around you.

But sugary sodas contain a lot of empty calories, which leads to obesity, which leads to diabetes and other health problems, which leads to an increase in insurance costs, which leads to higher premiums for everyone. Ban them. :eek:

As opposed to when they went “tobacco free” 15 years ago?

In the meantime...... where are all the “inclusivity” social justice warriors that were tripping over their d$cks (or vaginas, or whatever they might be packing) in the rush up Moral Outrage Mountain over the “unwelcoming climate” that Homecoming Court presented to those folks who can’t figure out their gender?

You joke but apparently there were concerns raised by student government representatives that this new policy would be discriminatory to Asian students since smoking is more popular in Asian cultures. I guess that line of thinking was rejected.

I don't have to breathe someone else's sugary soda. Personal freedom has boundaries when your behavior has a negative impact on others around you.
you pay their health insurance. But you aren't breathing somebody's smoke if they are outside smoking in a designated smoking area.

Reactions: psute
Why is it that you don’t hold a “real job” in the private sector?

Many people are offended by perfume. Ban it. Deodorant as well while you're at it. Peanuts and shellfish can KILL those w/ bad allergies. Ban them.

I hate to even ask this, but are you permitted to ride a bike on campus w/out one of those John Kerry helmets on?
just build heavy rubber huts with no ventilation and if you want to smoke there you go, go in there.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Pre-game cigars at our tailgate is a long-time tradition for my *hole buddies and me. (Even Wifey tolerates this, sometimes quietly.)
Are my tailgate cigars banned also?! I need to know how much to care about this ban... meaning, does it impact me and my selfish pleasure?
And if so, which BOT candidate do I vote for to get this overturned?! Or who will promise to get it overturned?!
What say ye, Norm?!

you pay their health insurance. But you aren't breathing somebody's smoke if they are outside smoking in a designated smoking area.
Common sense does not prevail today. It gets in the way of the mommy state / don't offend me with your ideas ideology. Diversity is in the mind of the beholder. Libertarians such as myself are are dying breed...

No vaping either as per a local news channel tonighr. No tobaccy products of any kind.
There's no way to enforce this unless they have full time tobacco police. Although, that would be another excuse to increase tuition!

Pre-game cigars at our tailgate is a long-time tradition for my *hole buddies and me. (Even Wifey tolerates this, sometimes quietly.)
Are my tailgate cigars banned also?! I need to know how much to care about this ban... meaning, does it impact me and my selfish pleasure?
And if so, which BOT candidate do I vote for to get this overturned?! Or who will promise to get it overturned?!
What say ye, Norm?!
Alcohol is also banned on campus so I assume you'll be ok.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT